GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Rant: Here we go again!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 26/03/01 at 22:28
Regular
I've decided to fork out £400 of my hard-earned cash to purchase a Games Console to play games on, the least it could do for me is work. Is this too much to ask?

Mid-January I had purchased a PS2 from a local retailer of mine, got it home, first thing I'd noticed was that it was incredibly noisy. Now, Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast was known to make a bit of a racket, so I put it down to the games. I dunno, maybe I was ignorant at the fact that I had a faulty PS2. Under a month later, the thing gave up on me.

Mid-February I received a replacement PS2, since the one I had previously purchased, lasted about a month.

I am sad to say, my replacement PS2 which I received is showing the same symptons as that of my faulty machine. And surprise, surprise, I'm not exactly a happy bunny.

It started this evening when I popped in my ISS disc for a spot of Footie action, to which I was greeted with a CD Drive noise that was reminiscent of a Lawnmower. I had a 30 minute burst on the game, to see if the drive-noise would 'just go away'. It didn't. I then procedded to try my other games (SSX and Tekken Tag) and both worked fine with a minimal amount of drive-noise.

What do I do? Phone Sony expressing my disappointment with their product or bury my head in the sand again and wait for it to go wrong?

-S
Mon 26/03/01 at 22:28
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
I've decided to fork out £400 of my hard-earned cash to purchase a Games Console to play games on, the least it could do for me is work. Is this too much to ask?

Mid-January I had purchased a PS2 from a local retailer of mine, got it home, first thing I'd noticed was that it was incredibly noisy. Now, Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast was known to make a bit of a racket, so I put it down to the games. I dunno, maybe I was ignorant at the fact that I had a faulty PS2. Under a month later, the thing gave up on me.

Mid-February I received a replacement PS2, since the one I had previously purchased, lasted about a month.

I am sad to say, my replacement PS2 which I received is showing the same symptons as that of my faulty machine. And surprise, surprise, I'm not exactly a happy bunny.

It started this evening when I popped in my ISS disc for a spot of Footie action, to which I was greeted with a CD Drive noise that was reminiscent of a Lawnmower. I had a 30 minute burst on the game, to see if the drive-noise would 'just go away'. It didn't. I then procedded to try my other games (SSX and Tekken Tag) and both worked fine with a minimal amount of drive-noise.

What do I do? Phone Sony expressing my disappointment with their product or bury my head in the sand again and wait for it to go wrong?

-S
Mon 26/03/01 at 22:56
Actually I have had that kind of sound, in my case with Ridge Racer 5, but not with some other games. Sorry to see that you are having problems, its a great system if you can get one with on bugs in it. Good luck to you.
Wed 28/03/01 at 13:17
I had this problem with StarWars, sounds like a 747 taking off inside the console (now this is an impressive feat by Sony). I'd heard it was a known problem with the PS2 so called Sony straight away. They arranged delivery of a new PS2 (got it today) but in the mean time, I continued to play. The noise got so bad I turned the whole thing off, ejected the disc and reloaded it, this time, no noise!!!!! Had I called Sony for no reason, I thought so until Saturday night when the DVD drive blew up. Good thing I got the new one delivered, new fan config (supposedly), new loading tray (supposedly) so fingers crossed it will be fine when I get home and have a play tonight!
Wed 28/03/01 at 13:31
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
That's it! Thing is, this is the replacement PS2 Sony have sent me.

It only happens with ISS, but, I received a phone call from my brother earlier to tell me my Z.O.E/Metal Gear 2 had turned up (Thanks SR!) and I got him to test Metal Gear 2 over the phone for me, the game works fine, loads relatively quick he tells me, then he puts the phone near the console and lo' and behold, it's making an almighty racket again.

Looks like I need yet another replacement

-S
Wed 28/03/01 at 17:48
When did you get the replacement? I don't think the fix was applied until v. recently?? Not 100% though.
It could be you were issued with a replacement that still had the problem. I only got my replacement this morning so it is a very new console (I guess?)
Wed 28/03/01 at 18:58
Regular
"~SRS~humpo"
i have 9 games and two of them make a racket nhl and star wars star fighter but my copy of iss is as quiet as a mouse....by the way, it has not affected the gameplay in any way . who else has noisy and quiet games
Wed 28/03/01 at 19:27
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I have had the PS2 make a loud noise a few times with different games. Its done it to Timesplitters and I thin Ridge Racer 5. It has also done it to my long loading MGS2 demo which hopefully will get replaced pretty soon.
Wed 28/03/01 at 19:30
"High polygon count"
Launch-day PS2, 10 games, and all run smoothly and quietly.
Wed 28/03/01 at 20:32
Regular

launch day console fine too,

but I'm concerned about the cooling fan and its air flow.

In pc cases with modest cooling fans, there is often a noticeable build up of dust on the inner surfaces of the case especially behind ridges/baffles. This can also be the case (no pun) with the innards of their cdrom drives, since some but not much of the air flow is drawn through them.

My flats not too dusty, but I hope the internal airflow of my psx2 doesnt coat the drive mechanism/optics with a fine layer of dust.

roll on gran turismo 3

Thu 27/08/09 at 20:34
Regular
"argh another ballan"
Tonight the junior fishing comp was called off due to high winds and water coming over the back wall at PSM outer pier, however the winds were not high enough to blow out the candles on John Paytons birthday cake (all 65 of them!!) we are still trying desperately to put out the candles!!!

looking forward to breaking in my new rod at the weekend (not literally!!)

young palmer (sam!)

=D

Beryl will be looking at the tides to determine the next comp and the dates and times will be on this thread as soon as i hear anything!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.