GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I need some direction in my life..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 19/01/04 at 23:01
Regular
"They Call Her 1 Eye"
Ok here is my situation as it is right now. I am 16 years old, male, opinionated but not very smart so I can't articulate myself well and I have many different paths I wish to follow for self improvement. I am currently sitting 5 Highers (A Levels) at High School and once I have finished high school these are the choices I am struggling to make...

Choice A) Go to university to study Film And Media or Journalism. I think this would be a great experience that would obviously further my education and also let me progress leaps and bounds socially. After that though my career path is pretty much entirely set out within the media and I don't like sealing my fate like that for some reason.

Choice B) I don't go to university, instead I leave school at about 18 and take a year out to go see the world. I wouldn't do that if I knew uni would be waiting when I got back but I would if I felt free from responsibilities at home. That would definitely be a positive experience socially and probably more spiritually than anything else. I am a sucker for going to all the major cities like NY and so on but I also find the more cultural and historical parts of the world like the great pyramid of Giza and the Great Wall Of China immensly interesting and the history behind it all is fascinating.

Choice C)This could happen after Choice B however I am not sure. I do really want to help other people. I think that's probably because I don't feel I've had much help throughout my life but either way I do want to get out there and physically help people. Therefore I am seriously considering joining the police. Of course not on the desk job level but actually going out on the streets and helping people. I think that would definitely make me feel good about myself and I'm sure I could pass the entry tests just I'd need to really get fitter. I am currently well I'd say about average weight but I have seen the physical exam and I think I'd need to really train to make a good enough impression. This would benefit my physically too but I'd regret missing out on Uni really. I mean not one of my friends is doing something other than it and I'd just be alone and out in the big bad world while they are getting drunk and arrested by me.

As you guys and gals can see I really need some direction in my life. What do you people think i should do? Can any of you relate? Any advice or information you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :D
Thu 22/01/04 at 16:03
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
You don't have to be too fit, but I think it would be advisable.

You only have to be fit enough to pass their tests. I think it’s around 9 on a bleep.
Tue 20/01/04 at 17:38
Regular
"2 weeks to go..."
Cubist V.2 wrote:
> Kat wrote:
> Have you thought about being a fireman?
>
> I have actually, although I'd have to be uber-fit to be a fireman
> wouldn't I?

Not sure - nothing wrong with being uber-fit though - and you have a good couple of years to get there!
Tue 20/01/04 at 17:10
Regular
"They Call Her 1 Eye"
Kat wrote:
> Have you thought about being a fireman?

I have actually, although I'd have to be uber-fit to be a fireman wouldn't I?
Tue 20/01/04 at 16:47
Regular
"They Call Her 1 Eye"
Yup
Tue 20/01/04 at 16:44
Regular
"SOUP!"
You can't go to uni at 16 can you?
Tue 20/01/04 at 16:34
Regular
"They Call Her 1 Eye"
monkey_man wrote:
> You're 16 for Christ's sake - how are you meant to make your mind up
> now what you want to do with the rest of your life?

The scarriest part is if I get all the grades I want this year I could apply for uni and go in when I'm 16 :S
Tue 20/01/04 at 15:45
Regular
You know, you could do all 3.

After a-levels, you can take a year out to do voluntary work in another country. You don't have to pay anything for the privilage, so long as you do it through the right people.

Then you can go to uni, if you still want to, when you get back.

Presumably you have a careers guidance monkey at your school, who will be able to tell you more about volunteering abroad.
This is probably the ideal time to start planning it - with enough time to do some research to find out what you'd like to do, before you have to apply for a place.

Could work out very nicely indeed. I kind of envy the opportunity, actually :^)
Tue 20/01/04 at 11:36
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
You're 16 for Christ's sake - how are you meant to make your mind up now what you want to do with the rest of your life? There's so much pressure for kids to decide so early on in their lives what path they are going to take. The Simpsons got it perfect when they had that Class Aptitude Normalising Test:

"I prefer the smell of (a) gasoline, (b) French fries, or (c) bank customers."

If you are looking for something to do that isn't actual work, then go to University. If you think you can handle the workload, then it would be good until you've got a clear idea of what you want to do with yourself.
Tue 20/01/04 at 11:12
Regular
"2 weeks to go..."
I think you should go travelling for a year, and whilst travelling talk to different people, from different walks of life, and see what interests you. I think travelling can change you (not that I've ever been!) but I can see how you would start to view life from a different perspective, it might make you realise that you miss being with your friends and having the social life, it might make you realise you want to learn more and therefore uni would be the right choice, or, you might realise you want to work abroad for a couple of years, so that you can carry on travelling. Or you might come home and decide to get a proper job, so then you can start training to be a policeman without the worry that you might have to take a year out of working to travel, and you can focus on your career not worrying that you've missed out on something. I think the year out is just time to reflect, grow up and take control of your own decisions. Have you thought about being a fireman?
Tue 20/01/04 at 09:22
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Flip a coin. Then confirm the result by visiting a palm reader. Then weigh up the differences and similarities by consulting a life-coach. Then do the twist.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.