GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"CRT or TFT monitor for much Artwork?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 15/01/04 at 22:31
Regular
Hello, I've got enough money to get a new monitor. I am currenlty using a 14" CRT LG (very very tiny I know :p). My business is very much graphics work, so I use all the graphics programs. I would like a TFT monitor but I hear a lot about problems with those kind of monitors yet the only problem I hear about CRT is that it's big. I want a big monitor, I can afford either a 21" CRT or a 19" TFT. I dont mind having a CRT, although at the moment I am playing a lot of online gaming, this may stop in time so dont really take that into account.

Also what are the best brands for CRT and TFT? Thanks inadvance
Thu 15/01/04 at 22:31
Regular
Hello, I've got enough money to get a new monitor. I am currenlty using a 14" CRT LG (very very tiny I know :p). My business is very much graphics work, so I use all the graphics programs. I would like a TFT monitor but I hear a lot about problems with those kind of monitors yet the only problem I hear about CRT is that it's big. I want a big monitor, I can afford either a 21" CRT or a 19" TFT. I dont mind having a CRT, although at the moment I am playing a lot of online gaming, this may stop in time so dont really take that into account.

Also what are the best brands for CRT and TFT? Thanks inadvance
Thu 15/01/04 at 23:47
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Simply:

TFT will give you better clarity if you throw a lot of money at it.

However: CRT gives you the best clarity for your dollar up to about £700.

Personally I'd say if you haven't got a grand to throw at a new monitor a CRT will be the best way to go. A bit of money goes a long, long way with CRT. £200 will get you something that will level up with a £1000 TFT.
Fri 16/01/04 at 00:43
Regular
You might be right, any ideas on the best CRT brands?
Fri 16/01/04 at 01:38
"I love yo... lamp."
Probably the best brand in monitors are Eizo. Also rather expensive.
http://www.eizo.co.uk/common/eizo/ products/crt/T966/frame.asp
Brilliant monitor, but at £560 ish it should be.

On a more realistic level you would be best looking at Mitsubishi as they are a very good brand. However they use Triniton technology, like Sony. The reason I mention that is that the cheaper Shadow Mask based monitors are apparently better for graphics work due to having truer colours.

NEC are the same company as Mitsubishi and use the same tubes. They are a bit cheaper though and don't have as much in the way of fancy things like built in USB hubs etc. But they generally have as good image quality.

Iiyama are known to be quite good value for money as well, if not exactly the best picture quality, but you do have to strike a balance somewhere. Another manufacturer I recommend are Samsung. Consistently good. I've actually got a new Samsung 19" CRT on the way.

I'd recommend CRT if you have the space for it. A 21" CRT will likely have a 20" viewable area, which is bigger (obviously) than an 18" TFT. Also CRTs have better image quality pound for pound until you are spending £1000's as Turbonutter said.

The only downside to CRT's at the moment is that they are bulky, heavy and use more power. But they certainly have the image quality if you want to pay for it.
Fri 16/01/04 at 11:23
Regular
"How Handy."
Personally, I'd never ever buy a CRT again. How much have you got and what do you need (size etc)?
Fri 16/01/04 at 16:36
Regular
I got a CRT for christmas, And i'm happy with it.

Good clarity, Reliable, Non of this "Dead Pixels" nonsense and most of all cheaper.
Fri 16/01/04 at 16:56
Regular
I have a budget of about 500 pounds. In my eyes bigger is better, so I could probably go for a 22" CRT or a 18/19" TFT. I always assumed that TFT was the new and better way to go but then I heard people and the problems with TFT, whether a blurring while playing games, or problems with letting sun on it for too long, and dead pixels etc.
Fri 16/01/04 at 17:04
Regular
You can't change resolutions on TFT's either. They're set to one resolution.
Fri 16/01/04 at 18:35
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
gamezfreak wrote:
> You can't change resolutions on TFT's either. They're set to one
> resolution.

WRONG!

TFT's have what is known as a 'native' resolution (for most 17" TFT's for example, this 1280x1024). They can be set to lower resolutions, but always provide the best image when set to their native resolution.

I'm using a 17" TFT now, coming from a 17" CRT and I will never go back! CRT's always use to give me eyestrain after a few hours - not affected in the slightest by TFT's.

Also, the latest decent TFT's have a response time of 16ms - no ghosting whatsoever. Colour blending varies greatly between TFT's, so do some research into it first. I recommend the Iiyama ProLite E431S. However, this is a 17" TFT. It is worth noting that larger TFT's in general don't provide as quicker response time (usually around 25ms) and usually have the same native resolution as the 17" equivalent.

Seeing as you're keen to persue a larger monitor, perhaps CRT would be the way to go for you.
Fri 16/01/04 at 18:44
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I usually recommend Hansol or NEC CRTs.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.