GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"CRT or TFT monitor for much Artwork?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 15/01/04 at 22:31
Regular
Hello, I've got enough money to get a new monitor. I am currenlty using a 14" CRT LG (very very tiny I know :p). My business is very much graphics work, so I use all the graphics programs. I would like a TFT monitor but I hear a lot about problems with those kind of monitors yet the only problem I hear about CRT is that it's big. I want a big monitor, I can afford either a 21" CRT or a 19" TFT. I dont mind having a CRT, although at the moment I am playing a lot of online gaming, this may stop in time so dont really take that into account.

Also what are the best brands for CRT and TFT? Thanks inadvance
Sun 18/01/04 at 12:03
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> adrian wrote:
> Notorious Biggles wrote:
> I can't personally vouch for it as I'm slumming it with a 15"
> LG
> pending delivery of my (still slumming it in comparison to you)
> 19" Samsung.
>
> Which Samsung is that? I have the 19" SyncMaster 957MB. Its an
> excellent monitor, really clear and sharp. My old 14" monitor
> looks terrible in comparison, blurry picture, terrible colour etc.
>
> That is the one. You recommended it and when I saw it for sale at
> £141 I decided to get one. Except they aren't in stock yet.
> Hence I'll wait another week.

Picked mine up from microdirect.co.uk when they had a sales weekend, 7 months ago for £186. Was building a new PC so wanted everything high spec. What I like with the monitor is its one touch setting button. Its called MagicBright and has 3 different settings. Text, Internet and Entertain. Test mode is duller which is great for every day use as the whites arent as bright, so using Wordprocessors etc is better, and viewing webpages. Internet brightens up the picture and gives a nice picture but not too bright. Entertain brigtens the picture up more and gives a more solid depth. So normally I set it to Text for every day use, but if I watch a video file/DVD, play a game I set it to Entertain and get a more vivid picture.

For the price I don't think you can go wrong as it has 0.20mm pitch while others which are in the same range have 0.24mm - 0.26mm. The pitch is the space between each pixel on the monitor, so the smaller it is the better.
Sun 18/01/04 at 10:29
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
I switched to a 19" TFT when I had my new PC last year and I'd never go back to CRT again. Take up far less space, looks nice, better picture quality. I have no problems using it in terms of eye strain etc even when I have all day sessions doing coursework essays and stuff.
Sun 18/01/04 at 00:39
"I love yo... lamp."
adrian wrote:
> Notorious Biggles wrote:
> I can't personally vouch for it as I'm slumming it with a 15"
> LG
> 19" Samsung.
>
> Which Samsung is that? I have the 19" SyncMaster 957MB. Its an
> excellent monitor, really clear and sharp. My old 14" monitor
> looks terrible in comparison, blurry picture, terrible colour etc.

That is the one. You recommended it and when I saw it for sale at £141 I decided to get one. Except they aren't in stock yet. Hence I'll wait another week.
Sat 17/01/04 at 23:42
Regular
"Digging!"
You could always just get a 50" Sony Plasm TV and hook it up to your PC. Perfect picture quality then. Shame it would set you back about £8000 :). On a serious note, TFT are worse value but if you've got alot of money to throw at them then you will get better picture quality, and no more degaussing you moniter after prolonged use!
Sat 17/01/04 at 23:33
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> LG aren't exactly a top of the range brand.

LG TFT's are actually very well thought of, a lot of the people on the overclockers forums including myself will swear by them. Not a single dead pixel, mind you i guess thats a little down to luck.
Sat 17/01/04 at 23:12
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> I can't personally vouch for it as I'm slumming it with a 15" LG
> 19" Samsung.

Which Samsung is that? I have the 19" SyncMaster 957MB. Its an excellent monitor, really clear and sharp. My old 14" monitor looks terrible in comparison, blurry picture, terrible colour etc.
Sat 17/01/04 at 20:05
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> Oh and Albert, if you have trouble with CRTs for a few hours then
> perhaps comp. sci. isn't for you. Especially toward after the first
> year, when you have ever more assignments and projects to do, you'll
> be in front of a screen for hours on end. So either get used to
> regularly popping paracetemol or find a uni that has TFTs.

Well, I've got the sights set on Bath, where they don't actually have any computer science labs, and so I expect most of my work will be done on my own machine, which will definately be using a TFT.

As long as the refresh rate is high enough, I can put up with CRT's. It's not a major issue...just rather not be blind by the time I'm 30!
Sat 17/01/04 at 19:55
"I love yo... lamp."
I can't personally vouch for it as I'm slumming it with a 15" LG pending delivery of my (still slumming it in comparison to you) 19" Samsung.

But Mitsubishi have a good reputation. It appears to have decent features.

I found a review of it.
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/?http://www.pcpro.co.uk /reviews/reviews_story.php?id=38683

It was 9 months ago though, so any major defects in either monitor would have been cleared up by the manufacturer in the next batch probably. And at the time both were more expensive.

As for the networking issues, I can't remember what all the hardware was now. I expect it featured the Ebuyer "Wonder Box" router. Was it all wireless or was there a wires card for the PC?

If you are having issues I would check the manufacturers website for driver or firmware upgrades for the wireless cards. Wireless cards always take a bit to find a network, but that seems a bit on the long side. Firmware and or driver updates might speed it up a bit. Possibly get MSN working again. I take it by MSN you mean messenger.

As for your dad's laptop I have a few ideas. First of all user accounts make things more difficult. Make sure you have the latest firmware and drivers installed. Then after that if still not working make sure that IE is trying to connect to the wireless network and not his default which would likely be his work network.

Was it an Ebuyer 11 Mbs PCMCIA card? I've forgotten now. If it was from ebuyer at all read the reviews, sometimes people mention things like "Initially it wasn't working with my wireless network then I realised that my router's WEP keys were labelled 1-4 and the card's are labelled 0-3." so it could produce a solution.
Sat 17/01/04 at 18:54
Regular
Master Biggles I fear you help me more than I deserve. So you recommend the Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 230SB 22"? Then lucky for me as that was the choice I was prepared to make. Going from a viewable screen of 11" to 20" should be quite a difference.

Yes the wireless network you suggested to me also works fine thank you :) although two small problems. One I didn't encounter before but after a very bad crash (and several more crashes before letting me on again) I had problems with Internet Explorer (and MSN) recognising my connection. Now every time I go on to the computer and loading IE I must wait atleast 2 or 3 minutes before it connects to the website. MSN wont connect at all so I have to wait a few minutes for another messaging program "Trillian" which I use instead at the moment.

The other problem is my fathers laptop, it already had an ethernet card and network configurations for his work network. I've yet to get the wireless card to work. It will recognise the connection (the lights will go on) but apart from that nothing will happen.

I'm using ME at the moment I was hoping switching to XP might help resolve one of the problems above. Apart from that everything is fine :)
Sat 17/01/04 at 18:24
"I love yo... lamp."
LG aren't exactly a top of the range brand. £500 would buy a 22" Mistubishi CRT. 1920 x 1440 at 76 Hz. Way above the 21.3", £1100 TFT.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/ Online_Catalogue_CRT_Monitors_66.html

NEC CRTs are the slightly cheaper versions of the Mitsubishis. Same tubes as they are the same company.

For what you want Kitt, CRT is the best. That reminds me, how did the networking go? I remember you being interested in wireless stuff.

Oh and Albert, if you have trouble with CRTs for a few hours then perhaps comp. sci. isn't for you. Especially toward after the first year, when you have ever more assignments and projects to do, you'll be in front of a screen for hours on end. So either get used to regularly popping paracetemol or find a uni that has TFTs.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.