GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"*Ant tries to think of words to describe the MGS2 demo but fails miserably*"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 25/03/01 at 13:04
Regular
I woke up on Saturday morning to find 2 packages, both from Special Reserve. One was my filmaday prize, Hollow Man.
The other was Zone Of The Enders, with a free MGS2 playable demo.

I played on ZOE for a while, and it's an excellent game. As with all games made by Hideo Kojima, the plot is amazing. The graphics are great (especially the huge mechs,) and gameplay is fast and fluid.

After I'd played on ZOE, and been destroyed by the first boss, I began taking peeks at my MGS2 demo. I kept telling myself to save it for later, but it was so hard to resist!! In the end, I backed down to temptation, and I placed the demo into my PlayStation 2.

It started with a nice, long FMV sequence. It starts with a view of George Washington Bridge, on a very rainy day. Then, the you focus on a man with a large raincoat on, calmy walking along the bridge. After watching this guy for a while, he begins to run. As he gets faster, he becomes harder to see, and soon enough he is running at top speed, almost completely invisible (stealth technology.) Then, the guy jumps off the bridge, does a few flips in midair, and lands nicely on a large ship. He is then revealed as the one and only Solid Snake.....with a beard!!
He is wearing the old stealth suit, just like the one he wore in MGS. Nice.

Then, we go to a Helicopter. In the Helicopter, is the only surviving boss from Metal Gear Solid, Revolver Ocelot. He sees Snake, and says something into his little walkie-talkie. One thing he said was, "He will know soon enough." I assume he was talking about Snake.

After all this, Snake talks to Otacon on his Codec. The Codec is just like it was in MGS, but the faces are more deatiled, and they move around a bit more.

Otacon tells Snake about his mission and his gear. You start off with a tranquilizer gun, some cigarettes, the old Scope, and a jacket which rumbles when an enemy is near.

I have to say, the graphics are AWESOME. Everything is brilliantly detailed, and the faces are SOOO much better than on MGS.

After a couple of plot twists, where some Russian guys come in and kill some of the people on the ship, and Snake has a close look at their leader, and he finds out that he is not the only one looking for the new Metal Gear (which is on the ship), you finally get control of Snake.

On this demo there are lots of places to explore, quite a few people to kill/hide from/knock unconscious and the mission is really to find out where the ship is going. You'll have to get past security cameras, search cupboards and look out for traps. Also, at the end, you have to defeat the first boss. This boss is the daughter of the leader of the Russian guys.

As always, Snake is very easy to control, and the cameras are great. The cameras move around quite a lot, and you can always go into 1st-person view mode if you want to.

So, are their any flaws?? Well, their is one thing. One very annoying thing, but something that couldn't be helped....all the voices were in Japanese!!

But that makes no difference. Playing this demo was an awesome experience, and I wait with abited breath for the final version.

Thanks for reading, Ant.

PS- ZOE is good too!!!
Tue 27/03/01 at 16:30
Regular
"I like cheese"
Can you put your number in on normal mode??
Mon 26/03/01 at 13:48
"High polygon count"
Flying Pig wrote:
>> shaneo wrote:
>> I'm only gonna get a PS2 for Smackdown
>> 3,MGS2,Tekken Tag Tourney and a few other decent games
>
> Don't forget: GT3, the Getaway, GTA3, SSX and others!

...such as Dropship, Onimusha: Warlords, Wipeout Fusion, Red Faction, Star Wars: Starfighter, Zone of the Enders, Dark Cloud, Ace Combat 4, Devil May Cry, Extermination, and... ooh, I know there are others but I can't think of them at the moment!
Mon 26/03/01 at 12:35
Regular
"Complete Banker"
shaneo wrote:
> I'm only gonna get a PS2 for Smackdown 3,MGS2,Tekken Tag Tourney and a few other decent games

Don't forget: GT3, the Getaway, GTA3, SSX and others!
Mon 26/03/01 at 00:17
"High polygon count"
I've started 2 threads on the PS2 forum about the MGS2 demo, if any of the PS2 owners are interested...

I have completed the demo on 'Very Hard' mode - no radar, no chaff grenades, no rations, a very small 'Life' bar, only 15 bullets to finish off the bird at the end, and being seen ends the game.

It *is* hard, but it can be done. My time was 1 hour 12 minutes with 7 continues. According to the Internet Ranking site, I am currently ranked at 2497 in the world on the 'Very Hard' level.

More practice is required!
Sun 25/03/01 at 22:02
Regular
"I like cheese"
I ain't played it on very hard yet. There are quite a few to collect throughout the demo though. Have you tried any of the cupboards you can open??
Sun 25/03/01 at 14:23
Also, do any of the hardcore gamers that frequent this site know of any 'rations' on the 'very hard' setting?
The boss keeps giving me jip!
Sun 25/03/01 at 14:20
The MGS2 demo is possibly the best game I ever done played. yes ZOE is also phenominal and there is no denying that the creation of sliced bread was something to behold but this is just something else!
I advise everyone to go out and play it if this means lying, cheating, or stealing then so be it! Killing is mabye a bit too much?
Sun 25/03/01 at 13:16
Regular
"( . ) ( . )"
I'm only gonna get a PS2 for Smackdown 3,MGS2,Tekken Tag Tourney and a few other decent games
Sun 25/03/01 at 13:04
Regular
"I like cheese"
I woke up on Saturday morning to find 2 packages, both from Special Reserve. One was my filmaday prize, Hollow Man.
The other was Zone Of The Enders, with a free MGS2 playable demo.

I played on ZOE for a while, and it's an excellent game. As with all games made by Hideo Kojima, the plot is amazing. The graphics are great (especially the huge mechs,) and gameplay is fast and fluid.

After I'd played on ZOE, and been destroyed by the first boss, I began taking peeks at my MGS2 demo. I kept telling myself to save it for later, but it was so hard to resist!! In the end, I backed down to temptation, and I placed the demo into my PlayStation 2.

It started with a nice, long FMV sequence. It starts with a view of George Washington Bridge, on a very rainy day. Then, the you focus on a man with a large raincoat on, calmy walking along the bridge. After watching this guy for a while, he begins to run. As he gets faster, he becomes harder to see, and soon enough he is running at top speed, almost completely invisible (stealth technology.) Then, the guy jumps off the bridge, does a few flips in midair, and lands nicely on a large ship. He is then revealed as the one and only Solid Snake.....with a beard!!
He is wearing the old stealth suit, just like the one he wore in MGS. Nice.

Then, we go to a Helicopter. In the Helicopter, is the only surviving boss from Metal Gear Solid, Revolver Ocelot. He sees Snake, and says something into his little walkie-talkie. One thing he said was, "He will know soon enough." I assume he was talking about Snake.

After all this, Snake talks to Otacon on his Codec. The Codec is just like it was in MGS, but the faces are more deatiled, and they move around a bit more.

Otacon tells Snake about his mission and his gear. You start off with a tranquilizer gun, some cigarettes, the old Scope, and a jacket which rumbles when an enemy is near.

I have to say, the graphics are AWESOME. Everything is brilliantly detailed, and the faces are SOOO much better than on MGS.

After a couple of plot twists, where some Russian guys come in and kill some of the people on the ship, and Snake has a close look at their leader, and he finds out that he is not the only one looking for the new Metal Gear (which is on the ship), you finally get control of Snake.

On this demo there are lots of places to explore, quite a few people to kill/hide from/knock unconscious and the mission is really to find out where the ship is going. You'll have to get past security cameras, search cupboards and look out for traps. Also, at the end, you have to defeat the first boss. This boss is the daughter of the leader of the Russian guys.

As always, Snake is very easy to control, and the cameras are great. The cameras move around quite a lot, and you can always go into 1st-person view mode if you want to.

So, are their any flaws?? Well, their is one thing. One very annoying thing, but something that couldn't be helped....all the voices were in Japanese!!

But that makes no difference. Playing this demo was an awesome experience, and I wait with abited breath for the final version.

Thanks for reading, Ant.

PS- ZOE is good too!!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.