GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Game [story]"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 14/01/04 at 20:21
"possibly impossible"
The long hand moved along the carved wooden board and placed a small vial on one of the coloured squares. The owner looked up and smiled a toothy grin, fire dancing in his eyes as he stared, waiting for his opponent to make a move.

"Not poison again, D!" said the white cloaked young woman on the other end of the table.

"Oh, I'd wait and see before you dismiss my move." Chuckled D

"I will wait, I still have to play my move." Replied his counterpart.

They turned to look at a mirror which rippled and showed an image of a jungle. Several camoflauge covered trucks drove through the dense undergrowth and the image zoomed in on them. Each had Japanese writing on the outside.

"Men," said the authoritarian voice of the Commander, as he sat in the back of the lead jeep, "This is our last drop before we go home. I trust you can make it a quick one."

The men looked at him and grinned as the vehicle bounced over the rough ground and drove onwards towards a small clearing. One of the trucks had a different symbol to the others, denoting that it carried medical supplies. Inside a small box jostled up and down within its constraining harness, rising up into the air as the truck cleared a particularly large hill. The force of its return to the floor of the truck caused a small fracture to appear in the bottom of the casing.

The train of vehicles ground to a halt, raising dust in their wake, at a small village. The commander was already striding over to the nearest hut as the last truck rolled in. He approached a white coated young doctor and her assistant.

"Greetings Dr Relsh. I'd never thought I’d be able to say I’d be glad to see this place again, but here I am at the end of our mission in these god-forsaken rain forests."

"Well, commander." Said Dr Relsh, "At least your work may have brought an end to the suffering of many villages here. If we can make use of the chemicals to cure these children it will be all worth while."

The commander raised a hand to signal his men. Several soldiers brought the box from the medical vehicle over and placed it on the floor.

"Sir, I think we may have broken the case." Said one of them holding up his arm, where a small trickle of green liquid ran down to his elbow.

"One of the containers has probably been damaged in transit, still, there should be plenty more to test and hopefully use here." Said the Doctor. "At least we can get this outbreak of Yarins under control now."

"Asuki, wash your arm and get checked over before we leave." Ordered the commander to his man.
---
The image in the mirror faded and was replaced by a family standing around a hospital bed. The young soldier who had carried the box of medicine was lying in the bed while his mother looked on.

"What did this to him?" she asked the doctor checking her son's vital signs as she held her husband's hand tightly.

"We don't know, the Army hasn't exactly been very helpful in giving us information on what they were doing out there, so we are doing the best we can to stablise him. We'll have the tests back later this morning."

The mother nodded and jumped as her husband coughed. He withdrew his hand and immediately saw several spots of blood.

"I think we’d better take a look at that." Said a worried doctor, motioning over to a nearby nurse and closing the large curtains around the bed.

News reports began appearing in the early evening, detailing some sort of virus that was affecting parts of China, soon they moved on to Japan and other parts of Asia. As the image in the mirror followed the sunset around, it showed more and more countries succumbing to this mystery illness.

Pictures of dying families and panicked residents being shepherded around were shown on all channels in many countries. Words such as epidemic and virulent virus were used. The mirror's view faded and was left with the reflection of the two figures.

"Interesting D, but not very original." Said the woman.

"But effective, none-the-less. I'm intrigued as to what your response will be though."

The woman smiled and looked around at the pieces on another small table to her side. Picking one up, a bottle with a skull on, she placed it carefully in the square next to the vial, then motioned to D to watch the screen.

The mirror again produced an image, this time of the Dr Relsh again, watching over a small boy.

"I can’t understand why he's so well." She said to her colleague as they stood in the hut. "He had the medicine, the same as all the rest, but he just didn't react to it."

"Luckily for him," said the other Doctor. "His family won't be around much longer though, is he the only one like this?"

"That we know of, he was in here already because he had some different symptoms of Yarin's disease, it must have reacted with the new virus to cancel it out."

She realised what she had just said and ran off to her equipment. 2 hours later she was on the phone to the disease centre in Tokyo.

The effect was slow, but, as the mirror showed, life soon returned to normal as the vaccinations were systematically handed out and began to work.

"Well done." Said D, leaning back on his chair, amused.

"Oh, it's not my doing, I'm sure they would have figured it all out sooner or later."

"And thanked the wonders of modern science again, no doubt."

"Well, once again we find ourselves back at the beginning. Another game?"

D took his arms from behind his head, "Love to!"
Wed 14/01/04 at 20:21
"possibly impossible"
The long hand moved along the carved wooden board and placed a small vial on one of the coloured squares. The owner looked up and smiled a toothy grin, fire dancing in his eyes as he stared, waiting for his opponent to make a move.

"Not poison again, D!" said the white cloaked young woman on the other end of the table.

"Oh, I'd wait and see before you dismiss my move." Chuckled D

"I will wait, I still have to play my move." Replied his counterpart.

They turned to look at a mirror which rippled and showed an image of a jungle. Several camoflauge covered trucks drove through the dense undergrowth and the image zoomed in on them. Each had Japanese writing on the outside.

"Men," said the authoritarian voice of the Commander, as he sat in the back of the lead jeep, "This is our last drop before we go home. I trust you can make it a quick one."

The men looked at him and grinned as the vehicle bounced over the rough ground and drove onwards towards a small clearing. One of the trucks had a different symbol to the others, denoting that it carried medical supplies. Inside a small box jostled up and down within its constraining harness, rising up into the air as the truck cleared a particularly large hill. The force of its return to the floor of the truck caused a small fracture to appear in the bottom of the casing.

The train of vehicles ground to a halt, raising dust in their wake, at a small village. The commander was already striding over to the nearest hut as the last truck rolled in. He approached a white coated young doctor and her assistant.

"Greetings Dr Relsh. I'd never thought I’d be able to say I’d be glad to see this place again, but here I am at the end of our mission in these god-forsaken rain forests."

"Well, commander." Said Dr Relsh, "At least your work may have brought an end to the suffering of many villages here. If we can make use of the chemicals to cure these children it will be all worth while."

The commander raised a hand to signal his men. Several soldiers brought the box from the medical vehicle over and placed it on the floor.

"Sir, I think we may have broken the case." Said one of them holding up his arm, where a small trickle of green liquid ran down to his elbow.

"One of the containers has probably been damaged in transit, still, there should be plenty more to test and hopefully use here." Said the Doctor. "At least we can get this outbreak of Yarins under control now."

"Asuki, wash your arm and get checked over before we leave." Ordered the commander to his man.
---
The image in the mirror faded and was replaced by a family standing around a hospital bed. The young soldier who had carried the box of medicine was lying in the bed while his mother looked on.

"What did this to him?" she asked the doctor checking her son's vital signs as she held her husband's hand tightly.

"We don't know, the Army hasn't exactly been very helpful in giving us information on what they were doing out there, so we are doing the best we can to stablise him. We'll have the tests back later this morning."

The mother nodded and jumped as her husband coughed. He withdrew his hand and immediately saw several spots of blood.

"I think we’d better take a look at that." Said a worried doctor, motioning over to a nearby nurse and closing the large curtains around the bed.

News reports began appearing in the early evening, detailing some sort of virus that was affecting parts of China, soon they moved on to Japan and other parts of Asia. As the image in the mirror followed the sunset around, it showed more and more countries succumbing to this mystery illness.

Pictures of dying families and panicked residents being shepherded around were shown on all channels in many countries. Words such as epidemic and virulent virus were used. The mirror's view faded and was left with the reflection of the two figures.

"Interesting D, but not very original." Said the woman.

"But effective, none-the-less. I'm intrigued as to what your response will be though."

The woman smiled and looked around at the pieces on another small table to her side. Picking one up, a bottle with a skull on, she placed it carefully in the square next to the vial, then motioned to D to watch the screen.

The mirror again produced an image, this time of the Dr Relsh again, watching over a small boy.

"I can’t understand why he's so well." She said to her colleague as they stood in the hut. "He had the medicine, the same as all the rest, but he just didn't react to it."

"Luckily for him," said the other Doctor. "His family won't be around much longer though, is he the only one like this?"

"That we know of, he was in here already because he had some different symptoms of Yarin's disease, it must have reacted with the new virus to cancel it out."

She realised what she had just said and ran off to her equipment. 2 hours later she was on the phone to the disease centre in Tokyo.

The effect was slow, but, as the mirror showed, life soon returned to normal as the vaccinations were systematically handed out and began to work.

"Well done." Said D, leaning back on his chair, amused.

"Oh, it's not my doing, I'm sure they would have figured it all out sooner or later."

"And thanked the wonders of modern science again, no doubt."

"Well, once again we find ourselves back at the beginning. Another game?"

D took his arms from behind his head, "Love to!"
Wed 14/01/04 at 20:37
Regular
:D Nice, reminds me of a book Terry Pratchet did, but I forget what it's called... Interesting Times, that's it.

I do like stuff like this.
Wed 14/01/04 at 20:55
Regular
"SOUP!"
I think it needed a little more narrative, it was a little bit 'scripty' for my liking, but a good idea well put down none the less. I got some good visual imagery from it.
Wed 14/01/04 at 20:59
"possibly impossible"
Thanks. yes, it was cut a bit short, due to me being at work I had to keep it concise. I wasn't even 'supposed' to be writing stories!! :-)

I would have like to flesh it out and I had a few more ideas for a rematch too.
Wed 14/01/04 at 22:31
Regular
"eat toast!"
Good. But come on now, get to work! What do you do exactly?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.