GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Colonies on the Moon and Manned Missions to Mars"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 14/01/04 at 08:39
Regular
Colonies on the Moon and Manned Missions to Mars.

So, it appears that these are finally going to be put into practise, come approximately the year 2030. What problems are we going to encounter - will we have to have regular shipments of supplies? It would make sense that astronauts could grow their own food in the colonies on the moon, and should they get into trouble, they are only 3 days away, so we could ship up some emergency supplies. Missions to the moon have become almost routine, so we should be well prepared for most eventualities. The actual building of a colony would soak up huge amounts of man power and resources.

But mars is a 6 month journey away - should they get into trouble they would be on their own. There are countless risk and things to consider. As it takes 6 months to get there, the astronauts would have to carry a whole years worth of food, plus enough to cover them while they are on the surface. Although we have sent a robotic lander there, there are many things that cannot be forseen - such as the fact that mars has violent weather systems. Wind speeds have been measured up to 30m/s in dust storms.

The implications of travelling to other planets in our solar system is quite exciting, although it is important to remember that mars is relatively close to us, and travelling to any other planets or moons would take an age.

What are your thoughts?
Wed 14/01/04 at 13:56
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
If it is funded by the same thing as england school computers, it'll be win95.
Wed 14/01/04 at 13:55
Ship's systems running on Longhorn XP.
Wed 14/01/04 at 13:54
Regular
If they do it'll be built by microsoft
Wed 14/01/04 at 13:50
"Mimmargh!"
I shall remain a sceptic of the space programme until they build a Death Star.
Wed 14/01/04 at 13:50
"Mimmargh!"
I shall remain a sceptic of the pace programme until they build a Death Star.
Wed 14/01/04 at 13:39
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
If the space program needs more money, simply go knocking on bill gates door or micheal jacksons never never gates. (heh, little play of words there)
They could buy 20 space stations and still not run out of money.
Wed 14/01/04 at 13:36
Regular
Very_Metal wrote:

> sadly, i have to agree.
> as exciting as it all sounds, i can't help but be suspicious of the
> timing :(

you're not wrong, but I can still hope it goes ahead. Don't forget, we still have to finish putting together the space station.
Wed 14/01/04 at 13:36
Regular
"you've got a beard"
gamezfreak wrote:
> Lunar Holidays anyone?

well there have already been 2 people that stumped up the $8 million for a week on the international space station, so that's halfway there i suppose :)
Wed 14/01/04 at 13:34
Regular
"you've got a beard"
gamezfreak wrote:
> I think the George Bush "Reviving the Space progamme" idea
> is just to boost his election campaign, but thats a different topic
> for now.

sadly, i have to agree.
as exciting as it all sounds, i can't help but be suspicious of the timing :(
Wed 14/01/04 at 12:13
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
It's going to have to be one hell of a big ship for 3 months fuel there and then 3 months fuel back. Also food, life support, etc. It'll be alot to acomplish.
I think we should stick with the moon for now, and go to mars when we find some other/faster way to travel.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.