GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Urggggh oh my god."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 11/01/04 at 21:19
Regular
Working out someone else's secret question answer question thingy or password on MSN/Yahoo/SR/Any fckuing thing else...

IS NOT HACKING THEIR ACCOUNT!

HACKING AND PASSWORD GUESSING ARE TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT THINGS!!!

Hacking:
A)To write or refine computer programs skillfully.
B)To use one's skill in computer programming to gain illegal or unauthorized access to a file or network
Tue 13/01/04 at 14:25
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Hacker: -

Eric Raymond, compiler of The New Hacker's Dictionary, defines a hacker as a clever programmer. A "good hack" is a clever solution to a programming problem and "hacking" is the act of doing it. Raymond lists five possible characteristics that qualify one as a hacker, which we paraphrase here:
· A person who enjoys learning details of a programming language or system
· A person who enjoys actually doing the programming rather than just theorizing about it
· A person capable of appreciating someone else's hacking
· A person who picks up programming quickly
· A person who is an expert at a particular programming language or system, as in "Unix hacker"
Raymond deprecates the use of this term for someone who attempts to crack someone else's system or otherwise uses programming or expert knowledge to act maliciously. He prefers the term cracker for this meaning.
2) Journalists or their editors almost universally use hacker to mean someone who attempts to break into computer systems. Typically, this kind of hacker would be a proficient programmer or engineer with sufficient technical knowledge to understand the weak points in a security system. For more on this usage, see cracker.

Cracker: -

A cracker is someone who breaks into someone else's computer system, often on a network; bypasses passwords or licenses in computer programs; or in other ways intentionally breaches computer security. A cracker can be doing this for profit, maliciously, for some altruistic purpose or cause, or because the challenge is there. Some breaking-and-entering has been done ostensibly to point out weaknesses in a site's security system.
The term "cracker" is not to be confused with "hacker". Hackers generally deplore cracking. However, as Eric Raymond, compiler of The New Hacker's Dictionary notes, some journalists ascribe break-ins to "hackers."
A classic story of the tracking down of a cracker on the Internet who was breaking into U.S. military and other computers is told in Clifford Stoll's The Cuckoo's Egg.
Tue 13/01/04 at 14:18
"I love yo... lamp."
Azul wrote:
> Mystique wrote:
> B)To use one's skill in computer programming to gain illegal or
> unauthorized access to a file or network
>
> Wrong.
> That's actually called "cracking".
>
> Hacking is when you "hack" together a piece of coded
> software.

No, it is right. Hacking is just for the fun of it, the challenge. Cracking is when it is done maliciously, to take down servers, plant viruses on a network, delete or steal files.
Mon 12/01/04 at 21:15
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Mystique wrote:
> Yes. I have a castle and a big pointy hat.

The pointy hat I knew about - you lent it to me last month, remember?
Mon 12/01/04 at 20:00
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I have arrived
Mon 12/01/04 at 19:54
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
Bless her.

*Pats Myst on the head*

Bless.
Mon 12/01/04 at 19:54
Regular
Timmargh wrote:
> "Princess"?
>
> Priceless!

Yes. I have a castle and a big pointy hat.
Mon 12/01/04 at 16:45
"Mimmargh!"
T
I
M
M
A
R
G
H
!
Mon 12/01/04 at 11:39
Regular
"Twenty quid."
"Princess"?

Priceless!
Mon 12/01/04 at 08:34
What's it about?
Mon 12/01/04 at 08:24
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
"The Blue Nowhere" by Jeffrey Deaver.

Recommended reading.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.