GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Game Boy® Trademark Initiative Fun!"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 09/01/04 at 16:35
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Nintendo's latest Press Release:

"Game Boy® Trademark Initiative, January 6, 2004

Did you know that there are ways to actually misuse a Game Boy? We just did it in the last sentence. Our famous Game Boy® trademark is sometimes misused. When a trademark is repeatedly misused it risks becoming a generic word that does not indicate the source or quality of the product.

You are probably one of more than 160 million people who love their Game Boy video game systems. But no matter how you use it (Gameboy, GameBoy, game boy, gameboy), real portable fun is actually spelled:
Game Boy® system
Game Boy® Advance hardware
Game Boy® Advance SP hardware
(Game Boy® can be used as an adjective to modify many generic nouns like system, video game system, hardware, game, software, accessory and so on.)

Now for some plural fun:
When there's more than one Game Boy®, Game Boy® Advance or Game Boy® Advance SP system, trademarks should never be used in plural format.
Here are some examples.

Incorrect usage:
Game Boys
Game Boy Advance SPs

Correct usage:
Game Boy systems
Game Boy Advance SP hardware

Of course, our trademark Game Boy® should never be used to refer to a non-Nintendo video game system. Our competitors have to earn their own reputations. Please don't give them a free ride on ours."

So.. now you know.
Fri 09/01/04 at 16:35
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Nintendo's latest Press Release:

"Game Boy® Trademark Initiative, January 6, 2004

Did you know that there are ways to actually misuse a Game Boy? We just did it in the last sentence. Our famous Game Boy® trademark is sometimes misused. When a trademark is repeatedly misused it risks becoming a generic word that does not indicate the source or quality of the product.

You are probably one of more than 160 million people who love their Game Boy video game systems. But no matter how you use it (Gameboy, GameBoy, game boy, gameboy), real portable fun is actually spelled:
Game Boy® system
Game Boy® Advance hardware
Game Boy® Advance SP hardware
(Game Boy® can be used as an adjective to modify many generic nouns like system, video game system, hardware, game, software, accessory and so on.)

Now for some plural fun:
When there's more than one Game Boy®, Game Boy® Advance or Game Boy® Advance SP system, trademarks should never be used in plural format.
Here are some examples.

Incorrect usage:
Game Boys
Game Boy Advance SPs

Correct usage:
Game Boy systems
Game Boy Advance SP hardware

Of course, our trademark Game Boy® should never be used to refer to a non-Nintendo video game system. Our competitors have to earn their own reputations. Please don't give them a free ride on ours."

So.. now you know.
Fri 09/01/04 at 16:43
Regular
"??????"
How long did it take you to find all that out?! Anyway, it's useful info.
Fri 09/01/04 at 17:14
Regular
"You! Obey the fist!"
what do you mean "how long did it take to find that out?", its a quote from a nintendo press release(as stated at the start of the post), probably on the official website.
Fri 09/01/04 at 17:20
Regular
Fri 09/01/04 at 18:27
Regular
That's just like them originally saying that we must type GameCube as NINTENDO GAMECUBE.

AND NO, MY SHIFT/CAPS LOCK KEYS AREN'T STUCK!

:D

I think it is fair to say that the only misuse of trademarks is when old people come into shops and call every console a Playstation.
Fri 09/01/04 at 22:52
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Edgy wrote:
> I think it is fair to say that the only misuse of trademarks is when
> old people come into shops and call every console a Playstation.

That's so annoying!! I've heard people say: "Gamecube.. thats a Playstation for kids, innit?"

Makes you want to rip throats out.
Sat 10/01/04 at 12:20
Regular
"??????"
Yeah! Sure does!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.