GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Civilization IV"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Civilization IV'.
Fri 03/11/06 at 14:24
Regular
Finally got it, I've been playing the series since the first came out. Boy that was quite some time ago but I still get a kick out of playing it.

Don't suppose anyone else plays it? I guess you're more console players with your FPS games a game like Civ is just too slow and challenging for you ;)

I'm doing quite well at the moment after a few attempts. Slowly dominating the land and building a nice army. I didn't intend to build one so quickly but I had a smeg load of barbarian steal a few of my cities due to lack of defence so created a load of chariots and took them all back in a few rounds. Now they've all disappeared now that I have them guarding my borders.
Sat 04/11/06 at 13:19
"Darkness, always"
It's actually quite key to ensure solid military growth hand in hand with everything else. The Ai launches a relentless barbarian assualt if you don't have enough of an army to protect your assets. The other civs aren't stupid either. Once there is no more room for free expansion, they'll pick on the weaker (i.e. less militaristic) civs to expand.

I've found that culture is good for commanding land around your cities, and little else. Key things to win in the game are first to circumnavgate the globe (+1 ship movement), and chasing the techs and wonders that give free technology and great people.

It's also key to keep good relationships with at least one less able civ for technology echange and raising cash on need.

And then there's religion. It's quite simply imperative to discover at least one. Preferably two, and have at least one city continuously churn out emmisaries to spread the religion. Once you build the world wonder buildings for both religions, you'll be rich and will never have to worry about dropping your research, and will be able to upgrade your units much faster.
Fri 03/11/06 at 22:40
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
I *loved* Civ III, it stole many hours of my life. But Civ IV just didn't have the same effect on me. It was fun, for a while, and Mr Spock giving me insightful quotes every few minutes had its novelty, but overall it didn't really grab me in the way a complicated and involved game like that should.

--

But anywho, I usually found I had no army. I focused so much on culture to try to spread my influence over as much of the map as possible, I was always totally screwed when someone declared war on me. Have you tried putting the barbarians on.. umm... whatever setting you get to make them more intense? That was always fun :p
Fri 03/11/06 at 14:24
Regular
Finally got it, I've been playing the series since the first came out. Boy that was quite some time ago but I still get a kick out of playing it.

Don't suppose anyone else plays it? I guess you're more console players with your FPS games a game like Civ is just too slow and challenging for you ;)

I'm doing quite well at the moment after a few attempts. Slowly dominating the land and building a nice army. I didn't intend to build one so quickly but I had a smeg load of barbarian steal a few of my cities due to lack of defence so created a load of chariots and took them all back in a few rounds. Now they've all disappeared now that I have them guarding my borders.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.