GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Strategy Games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 23/03/01 at 18:53
Regular
Why are strategy games and people who like them being ignored by so many people and magazines these days? OK, there are exceptions, but when most magazines review a game that isn't a first person shooter, it seems to get marked down because of that, whereas Quake 3, the most unoriginal game ever, is praised!

When someone reviews a game, they ought to review it in comparison of other similar games. I have seen reviews of games which say that the bad thing about the game is that it is a strategy game!

People should review games in genres in which they have played and liked other games, otherwise the review is pointless. If the target readers might not like strategy games, then the type of game should be stated in the review, but possibly still given a good score regardless: the person reading it can decide whether it suits them or not.

If I was reviewing any FPS game, I would mark it down because it was an FPS game, maybe even unwillingly, so I would never try and review a game of this sort, and I don't think that others should either!
Sat 05/12/09 at 15:54
Regular
can anyone tell me if you are alowed to night fish? and are there any speciman carp in the reservour?
Sun 15/11/09 at 19:56
Regular
"GONE FISHIN"
go down to the res on wed/thu/fri/sat/sun morning and see Alan he will help you
Mon 02/11/09 at 12:25
Regular
ive been fishing for about a week now and ive not even had a bite is there any tips u could give me i dont know if im fishing at the right depth or not and dont know if my float set up is ok or not
Wed 21/10/09 at 10:47
Regular
"GONE FISHIN"
Fishing with maggot i would use a 18/20 hook tied to 2lb hooklength, main line would be 3lb, the res is open all year round
Mon 19/10/09 at 13:16
Regular
im about to start fishing what is the best size hooks to use and whats the best size line to use. and is the lake open all year round to fish or does it shut for a certain time?
Thu 13/08/09 at 16:02
DAY TICKETS ARE ----£4.00 AND £2.OO OAP & JUNIORS
Thu 13/08/09 at 11:01
Regular
how much is the day ticket
Mon 26/03/01 at 15:09
Regular
Hey what?
Mon 26/03/01 at 15:08
Regular
Buy PCZone, its only £3.50 (i think) and all of their reviews are honest, they can be quite funny as well.

And NO, I dont work for them.

:-)
Mon 26/03/01 at 15:05
Regular
"not dead"
Reviewers should definitely compare the games released today to the games in the same genre that came before it.

If I owned Theme Park, and heard that RollerCoaster Tycoon was being released, when I read a review the one thing I'd really want to know is whether it was better than the game I already had or not? If it's no better, then why buy it?

First Person Shooters definitely need to be compared to each other, as there are so many of them out there. If reviewers could just say better than Half Life, surely it would save them trying to tell us exactly how good it is?

Though the vital flaw in this is that they have to aim their reviews at people that may not have played or even have heard of Half Life, so to say that it's better than something some people may not know, may not be the best idea after all!

Now when it comes to strategy games, I can take them or leave them. I guess I need a little more inspiration to pick up and play one that I would an adventure game, because you need to think about a strategy game, and you can't really just pick up and play for 20 minutes or so, then leave it.

Mind you, when I get into a strategy game, I do enjoy it greatly. Theres a real sense of achievement when you finally wipeout the enemy.

I recently discovered an Age of Empires demoon my Windows '98 CD. There are 3 'missions' on it, that I've been playing through. They've kept me up quite late over recent nights.

I took timecoming up with a cleverstrategy to defeat the enemy, slowly worked them down with a few seige weapons and the like. Then I ran out of recourses. I was desperate, so I tried something I thought would never work. Produce many of the poorer quality military units, and just send them in wave after wave to die. So they just kept on going, attacking buildings and military units. Everytime one got wiped out, another would be 'created' to replace it.

I was amazed when this strategy won the game for me.

Then I thought about what I had done. Wasted all of my gold, and other natural resources producing war machines, that mad little progress, given up on this approach, and just sent in lots of men to die.

If only I hadn't bothered wasted all of those resourses, and just sent in the lowly military units to begin with. Yes I would have lost a lot of men, but what would it matter if I won?

Looks like I had the same thinking as those involved in the World Wars....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.