GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Frozen Time"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 09/01/04 at 04:31
Regular
"Selected"
I was talking to a friend about this earlier today but he seemed to be making his own theories up rather than giving it any reasonable thought (he was quoting "Bernards Watch" at one point) so I thought I'd take to the boards, as it were.

Anyway, we were talking about what would happen to an object or even people if time stopped for everyone else but you. Would you be able to move the person into "hilarious" positions i.e. the town center with no trousers, or would they be rooted to the spot and position they froze in? The same thing for an object. Let's say that, if time did freeze, you'd be able to move stuff. In this situation, if you picked a cup up and then let go, presumably it'd just float in mid-air with only potential energy being the force of gravity to effect it when time is unfrozen. However, if when you removed your hands, you hit the cup (assuming all energy is transferred) and THEN unfroze time, would the cup fly across the room? If it did, then that'd mean kinetic energy can be stored in items forzen in time and released when unfrozen. So could THIS mean that hitting the cup TWICE at 10 metres per second will make the cup will travel at 20 m/s when unfrozen?!

If THIS is true, then it means we could reach (and exceed) lightspeed, surely, as repeatedly hitting the cup (if we take for granted that you'd be there for a good long while) would eventually take it's kinetic energy, stored as potential energy in frozen time, to 299,792,458 meters per second - the speed of light. After reaching this speed, you can unfreeze time only to get a glipse a cup suddenly flying at lightspeed against a wall.

Refering back to if items can be moved in frozen time - even if we couldn't move things, as long as we still had the ability to hit objects, we'd be able to transfer that energy and give whatever object we're hitting the kinetic energy required to make it move when unfrozen. Of course, this is taking into account that the energy IS transfered in the first place...

Oh, and as for actually freezing time, it's pretty simple, you just have to pass through a blackhole without actually being affected by it. After all, blackholes are so dense, light itself can not escape one - time not only doesn't exist there, it can't!

This sort of links into the other post about time travel and not being able to go forwards (proven to be complete tosh with the help of forum members) in that if this did ever happen, we could actually theoretically time travel into the future.
Sat 10/01/04 at 22:25
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
As Sonic said, you've got to consider mass energy too. There's far more to it than kinetic and potential energy.
Sat 10/01/04 at 11:15
Regular
"Selected"
Haha, thanks for clearing that up that Sonicrav. The blackhole idea was just an attempt to conclude the post, I felt I needed to say how to do this even if it just wasn't true. Ah well.
Sat 10/01/04 at 01:00
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Cool idea for a topic, here are my two pence on some of the ideas:

> If THIS is true, then it means we could reach (and exceed)
> lightspeed, surely, as repeatedly hitting the cup (if we take for
> granted that you'd be there for a good long while) would eventually
> take it's kinetic energy, stored as potential energy in frozen time,
> to 299,792,458 meters per second - the speed of light.

Haha, nice idea. Unfortunately not. Ignoring that you can't stop time (we'll come to that later), the reason you cannot excede the speed of light it that, the more (kinetic) energy you give to an object, the more of that energy is converted to mass energy. So, as you get close to the speed of light, if you want to go faster you need to apply more and more force - until you realise that you actually need infinite energy to reach light speed and give up!

This is the effect measured when accelerating electrons and finding that, even if you double the energy used, you only increas their speed a small bit.

> Oh, and as for actually freezing time, it's pretty simple, you just
> have to pass through a blackhole without actually being affected by
> it. After all, blackholes are so dense, light itself can not escape
> one - time not only doesn't exist there, it can't!

Simple? hmmm...

You can't actually pass through black holes! They are singularities - with infinitely dense cores that have no dimensions! Perhaps you mean a wormhole? (Two joined black holes).

In which case, time wouldn't stop when you came out (if you could come out). Everything I've read about wormholes indicates that, although you can distort time (ie, come out a long/short time after you entered) you will STILL come out in a universe where time is moving at the same pace!

>
> This sort of links into the other post about time travel and not
> being able to go forwards (proven to be complete tosh with the help
> of forum members) in that if this did ever happen, we could actually
> theoretically time travel into the future.

All we need is to stop time... "simple"

Sonic
Fri 09/01/04 at 23:00
Regular
"Selected"
i just assumed that was a given
Fri 09/01/04 at 22:39
Regular
"Not a Jew"
You people are so concerned with your science when you stop time that you forget the best things - womens changing rooms.
Fri 09/01/04 at 22:16
Regular
"Selected"
I suppose you're right, physically, if it was to happen, the object wouldn't be able to withstand travelling at lightspeed and would just break up. However, its just the theory behind it im interested in really.

Sally makes a good point though.
Fri 09/01/04 at 12:25
Regular
"gsybe you!"
*Imagines giant baseball bat in space hitting ships repeatedly until they fly faster*

Hmm. How would one achieve 'frozen time' in the first place. I imagine all the energies would still be in place, but the time for them to have an effect would be gone....so therefore I guess, based on my ignorant udnerstanding, that you could store kinetic energy - but if you continually hit the cup, would it not store other kinetic energy, i.e be broken into pieces but held together by lack of time to fall apart, so that when you unfroze time the whole thing smashed, and each bit flew at, lightspeed (for example) in every direction?
Fri 09/01/04 at 12:21
Regular
"2 weeks to go..."
Ok, I think that time is something that we cannot comprehend, it is not something that we know about scientifically. We have created our own image of what time is, by creating clocks, but can't explain how time could start and stop. Therefore, there would be a completely different set of scientific laws for time as a whole, meaning, you can't work out what might happen if you freeze time, as without knowing the basic science behind time, you have no idea what effect it would have on anything.

Just as we can't understand what is beyond the universe, etc. time is something far more complex than what we call 'time'.
Fri 09/01/04 at 04:31
Regular
"Selected"
I was talking to a friend about this earlier today but he seemed to be making his own theories up rather than giving it any reasonable thought (he was quoting "Bernards Watch" at one point) so I thought I'd take to the boards, as it were.

Anyway, we were talking about what would happen to an object or even people if time stopped for everyone else but you. Would you be able to move the person into "hilarious" positions i.e. the town center with no trousers, or would they be rooted to the spot and position they froze in? The same thing for an object. Let's say that, if time did freeze, you'd be able to move stuff. In this situation, if you picked a cup up and then let go, presumably it'd just float in mid-air with only potential energy being the force of gravity to effect it when time is unfrozen. However, if when you removed your hands, you hit the cup (assuming all energy is transferred) and THEN unfroze time, would the cup fly across the room? If it did, then that'd mean kinetic energy can be stored in items forzen in time and released when unfrozen. So could THIS mean that hitting the cup TWICE at 10 metres per second will make the cup will travel at 20 m/s when unfrozen?!

If THIS is true, then it means we could reach (and exceed) lightspeed, surely, as repeatedly hitting the cup (if we take for granted that you'd be there for a good long while) would eventually take it's kinetic energy, stored as potential energy in frozen time, to 299,792,458 meters per second - the speed of light. After reaching this speed, you can unfreeze time only to get a glipse a cup suddenly flying at lightspeed against a wall.

Refering back to if items can be moved in frozen time - even if we couldn't move things, as long as we still had the ability to hit objects, we'd be able to transfer that energy and give whatever object we're hitting the kinetic energy required to make it move when unfrozen. Of course, this is taking into account that the energy IS transfered in the first place...

Oh, and as for actually freezing time, it's pretty simple, you just have to pass through a blackhole without actually being affected by it. After all, blackholes are so dense, light itself can not escape one - time not only doesn't exist there, it can't!

This sort of links into the other post about time travel and not being able to go forwards (proven to be complete tosh with the help of forum members) in that if this did ever happen, we could actually theoretically time travel into the future.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.