GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"NETGEAR DGN2000 config"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 12/08/09 at 20:39
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
After a rush of blood to the wallet today, I bought a Netgear DGN2000 Wireless-N Modem Router (ADSL2+) - this was to replace my ageing BT105/Belkin router lash-up which has served me well (and which I am using to connect to write this) over the years.

I thought it would be a simple swap-out (Ha!) as I've done loads of router/modem setups before and usually after a bit of tweaking I get them to work - however, despite my 1 millionth config change (slight exageration but you get the picture) I cannot get the DGN2000 to connect.

The DSL line is showing as connected and as far as I can make out it is the authentication which is failing - I have checked and rechecked my login details and I'm as sure as I can be they are correct.

Has anyone amanged to get this model of router to connect? Have the Freeola router boffins had chance to check it out yet and work out where to tap it with a hammer to get it to connect? Is there something I don't know about ADSL2+ and Freeloa connectivity?

Any advice/sympathy will be gratefully received.

Jim The (very depressed) Dog
Fri 14/08/09 at 11:16
"Are you sure?"
It's certainly a good one!

IMO and from my experience if you have a shortish line (under 40db attenuation) you can get away with much more than if you are on a longer line.

My recommendation is to use a Broadcom chipset based router.

My favourite is the Speedtouch 585v6 (I've bought two of these brand new and boxed off eBay for £30). That's what I'm using at the moment and it's transformed my line.

See my Router history page here.
(A couple of months back my line has deteriorated but seems to be on the way back up lately - fingers crossed!)

I've recently bought a Netgear DG834GT to play with (these are dished out by SKY) - this also has a Broadcom chipset and performs similar to my trusty 585v6. You can also install customer firmware which allows you more control which is useful!

Other recommendations are the Netgear DG834 v4 - MUST be the version 4 to get the right chipset!

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 14/08/09 at 10:10
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
<---- *gets defensive* :D

Looking for a new router myself for my new gaff, you suggest this one Hmmm...?
Thu 13/08/09 at 14:05
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
Hmmm... wrote:
>
> FWIW
> In your original post you mention:
> "Is there something I don't know about ADSL2+ and Freeloa
> connectivity?"
>
> I believe if you are connecting via IPSC as you reported then
> you aren't on ADSL2+. You need to be connecting via WBC to get
> that...
>

I know I don't have ADSL2+ but I was beginning to get the feeling that ADSL2+ routers might not work on non-ADSL2+ enabled exchanges - these irrational nagging doubts get a hold when you think you've tried everything else.

I suppose the old addage of 'if it waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck' has proved to be correct once more.

Again, thanks all.
Thu 13/08/09 at 13:41
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
adsl.freeola.net and adsl.enta.net are just two of the three log-in realms available to all Freeola ADSL customers. Both should work exactly the same way although some customers find one works better than the other in a similar way to our two dial-up numbers.

All ADSL customers are encouraged to use the 'freeola' realm as it appears within MyFreeola and their activation packs, although we do not have a problem with them using either of the other two.

As for the Enta thing, not working for them I can only presume, but it is likely to work one of two ways. Either they have programmed it or got the system to run from the most common adsl denominator (@adsl.enta.net in this case as all Enta DSL users will have this extension as an option) which is why it only recognises that. Alternatively they could run a system similar to that of the BT Speedtester whereby it requires the information as entered in your router. Again, this is just me thinking out loud and may not be 100% accurate.
Thu 13/08/09 at 13:24
"Are you sure?"
Hi JTD,
Glad to see you're all sorted :¬)

Since my reply last night I've realised that I've actually put two Freeola customers on with that router, not just my Dad!
It's one of my favourites as it uses the Broadcom chipset which I've always found to be about as good as it gets!

Some people find they run very hot (as with lots of routers) and that using the 'feet' to stand it upright helps with this.

I see the login details in MyFreeola in my account also show as adsl.freeola.net but I use adsl.enta.net.
I'm not going to test using these details in my router!

To my knowledge the logins changed a couple of years back to freeola.net for new signups. Perhaps all the MyFreeola acounts were changed to reflect this even if the actual login details are still enta.net for older customers? (I don't mean more mature!)

I'm not going to say this is an 'error' as Warhunt will only get defensive :¬P

I also notice that I can only get my connection details (node, ALT status, black marks, etc.) using the information on my Link status page if I use my enta.net account details. For me the freeola.net details give "username not recognised".

FWIW
In your original post you mention:
"Is there something I don't know about ADSL2+ and Freeloa connectivity?"

I believe if you are connecting via IPSC as you reported then you aren't on ADSL2+. You need to be connecting via WBC to get that...

Obviously all the above is only as I see things, hopefully Freeola will correct me if I'm mistaken.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 13/08/09 at 11:48
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
motomoto wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> Hopefully I will be of some help here.
>
> I can see in your MyFreeola account that your username ends in
> @adsl.freeola.net. However actually on your account (and the
> username you have used previously) the username ends in
> @adsl.enta.net.
>
> Try changing the username to reflect this and see whether you
> have any more luck. If this is the problem, ill get on to our
> Systems Team and ask them to have a look at this.
>
> :)

TA DA!!!! Changing to .enta.net did the trick - this is most odd as my previous connection is definately @adsl.freeloa.net and as far as I can remember I've never used @adsl.enta.net for any logins. Anyway I don't really care cos it works.

motomoto: Thanks very much for investigating
Hmmm...: Thanks for just being there.

JTD
Thu 13/08/09 at 11:30
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
Hey Guys,

Hopefully I will be of some help here.

I can see in your MyFreeola account that your username ends in @adsl.freeola.net. However actually on your account (and the username you have used previously) the username ends in @adsl.enta.net.

Try changing the username to reflect this and see whether you have any more luck. If this is the problem, ill get on to our Systems Team and ask them to have a look at this.

:)
Thu 13/08/09 at 11:03
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
Hmmm... wrote:

> ~ What are you seeing in the router logs?
>

Hi Hmmm...,

a typical extract from the router log is:

Sat, 2000-01-01 00:18:35 - Initialize LCP.
Sat, 2000-01-01 00:18:35 - LCP is allowed to come up.
Sat, 2000-01-01 00:19:36 - Initialize LCP.
Sat, 2000-01-01 00:19:36 - LCP is allowed to come up.
Sat, 2000-01-01 00:19:57 - CHAP authentication failed
Sat, 2000-01-01 00:19:57 - LCP down.
Sat, 2000-01-01 00:20:36 - Initialize LCP.
Sat, 2000-01-01 00:20:36 - LCP is allowed to come up.
Sat, 2000-01-01 00:21:36 - Initialize LCP.
Sat, 2000-01-01 00:21:36 - LCP is allowed to come up.
Sat, 2000-01-01 00:22:37 - Initialize LCP.
Sat, 2000-01-01 00:22:37 - LCP is allowed to come up.

I have taken the router back to factory setting and manualy set MTU to 1500 and Multiplexing to VC. I have tried with and without static ip and also with and without DNS servers.

Thanks for any help,

JTD
Wed 12/08/09 at 21:13
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
Hmmm... wrote:
>
> If it's 'syncing' then it does sound like duff account info...

I would say the same thing if someone had described my problem to me but I have checked, re-checked, re-typed, cut/paste the settings from my old router and my freeola broadband account info.

>
> ~ What are you seeing in the router logs?

Don't know - I've packed in for the night - will post my findings tomorrow.

>
> ~ I take it you are using a standard 192.168.0.1 type setup?
Yes I am.

> ~ Are you on an IPSC or WBC connection?
I'm IPSC via Sheffield according to a connection checking utility I found on http://www.hmmm.ip3.co.uk/enta-centrals.shtml ;o)

>
> I'm off to watch Dragons Den - back tomorrow...!
Me too - it's good to know there are people even more stupid than me about.

Very good to hear at least one person on the planet has got it working with Freeola. I shall dream happy doggie dreams tonight.
Wed 12/08/09 at 21:00
"Are you sure?"
Hi JTD,
My Dad (obviously also a Freeola customer thanks to me!!!) has recently changed to this router.

I'm happy to say it's an excellent router with much in it's favour :¬)

If it's 'syncing' then it does sound like duff account info...

~ What are you seeing in the router logs?

~ I take it you are using a standard 192.168.0.1 type setup?

~ Are you on an IPSC or WBC connection?

I'm off to watch Dragons Den - back tomorrow...!

[s]Hmmm...[/s] My Freeola Instant Site

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.