GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Transformers Revenge Of The Fallen"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen'.
Tue 11/08/09 at 11:42
"possibly impossible"
Big robots fighting each other and transforming into planes and cars should really be the makings of the best game ever. Why, then, do all Transformers games seem to turn out so bad?

Revenge of the Fallen follows the movies, but you wouldn’t know it from the lack of cut scenes and the basic progression of the story. It doesn’t have any of the human characters either, though this isn’t something I was too worried with as long as I got to control the robots.

Taking Sides
You get to play as both Autobots and Decepticons in the game, which seems to change between the two at alarming rates. It mixes things up but at the same time you feel that any sense of progression is hindered by the mix and match approach.

The most annoying aspect of this is that you can’t choose who you want to be. Even in the 8-bit Transformers game you could choose from a small section of Autobots, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. Here everything is just given to you and you’re going to have to put up with it.

Taking Control
As expected, you move your Transformer with the analog stick and use the Wii Remote for the reticule which lets you shoot whatever is on the screen. In close up combat this changes to a Wii remote and Nunchuk punchup (holding the C button), which is probably the most fun you’ll have in the game, although you’ll look like a bit of a fool doing it.

Do the controls work? Sort of. The aiming is a bit off as it tends to pick the wrong target at just the wrong times, but the melee combat is pretty fun if you remember to really move those arms. If nothing else, this game will give you some exercise!

Taking Pictures
The graphics are actually pretty nice, considering that this is pretty much the same game as the Playstation 2 version. All the Transformers are well designed and stand up well to their movie counterparts. Backgrounds are nicely detailed for a Wii game, though you’ll find the lack of exploring these environments annoying.

The one thing that lets the game down is explosions, they’re just so weedy. It’s like someone lit a match and then blew it out rather than a huge ball of flame exploding in to the air. Very disappointing considering just how many times that animation needs to be used.

Taking a Walk
Level design is laughable. It looks like the designers have set themselves a task of re-using as much of the scenery as possible for each level. Even the levels get reused more times than a recycled newspaper. I started a level later on in the game, only to find out that it was exactly the same level I’d done earlier with another character but now with more enemies!

It wouldn’t be so bad if all the later levels weren’t just long corridors of endless frustration with no redeeming features. Did the art department go on strike the day this game was finished? Or perhaps they just got bored and wondered off somewhere.

Taking the Mickey
If there was more fighting, more varied levels, other than just corridors and more corridors and if the boss battles weren’t so inane, you could probably enjoy this game. The problem lies in the programmers quest for a fast buck by re-using old levels again and again and in the stupid aiming system which just doesn’t work.

Added to this, the enemies are so stupid that they can’t even fight back half the time. Even if you do somehow manage to die the game ends up putting you straight back in to the action with no fuss. If you can’t finish this game it won’t be due to the difficulty, more likely the monotony.

Transfomers: ROTF has the unfortunate same initials as a well known internet phrase. It’s pretty apt, then, that you’ll probably be rolling on the floor after playing the game, either in laughter at someone else’s misfortune in buying it or in anger at your own.

Simply put, Transformers Revenge Of The Fallen is far from the game I hoped it would be and not recommended.

3/10
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Tue 11/08/09 at 11:42
"possibly impossible"
Big robots fighting each other and transforming into planes and cars should really be the makings of the best game ever. Why, then, do all Transformers games seem to turn out so bad?

Revenge of the Fallen follows the movies, but you wouldn’t know it from the lack of cut scenes and the basic progression of the story. It doesn’t have any of the human characters either, though this isn’t something I was too worried with as long as I got to control the robots.

Taking Sides
You get to play as both Autobots and Decepticons in the game, which seems to change between the two at alarming rates. It mixes things up but at the same time you feel that any sense of progression is hindered by the mix and match approach.

The most annoying aspect of this is that you can’t choose who you want to be. Even in the 8-bit Transformers game you could choose from a small section of Autobots, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. Here everything is just given to you and you’re going to have to put up with it.

Taking Control
As expected, you move your Transformer with the analog stick and use the Wii Remote for the reticule which lets you shoot whatever is on the screen. In close up combat this changes to a Wii remote and Nunchuk punchup (holding the C button), which is probably the most fun you’ll have in the game, although you’ll look like a bit of a fool doing it.

Do the controls work? Sort of. The aiming is a bit off as it tends to pick the wrong target at just the wrong times, but the melee combat is pretty fun if you remember to really move those arms. If nothing else, this game will give you some exercise!

Taking Pictures
The graphics are actually pretty nice, considering that this is pretty much the same game as the Playstation 2 version. All the Transformers are well designed and stand up well to their movie counterparts. Backgrounds are nicely detailed for a Wii game, though you’ll find the lack of exploring these environments annoying.

The one thing that lets the game down is explosions, they’re just so weedy. It’s like someone lit a match and then blew it out rather than a huge ball of flame exploding in to the air. Very disappointing considering just how many times that animation needs to be used.

Taking a Walk
Level design is laughable. It looks like the designers have set themselves a task of re-using as much of the scenery as possible for each level. Even the levels get reused more times than a recycled newspaper. I started a level later on in the game, only to find out that it was exactly the same level I’d done earlier with another character but now with more enemies!

It wouldn’t be so bad if all the later levels weren’t just long corridors of endless frustration with no redeeming features. Did the art department go on strike the day this game was finished? Or perhaps they just got bored and wondered off somewhere.

Taking the Mickey
If there was more fighting, more varied levels, other than just corridors and more corridors and if the boss battles weren’t so inane, you could probably enjoy this game. The problem lies in the programmers quest for a fast buck by re-using old levels again and again and in the stupid aiming system which just doesn’t work.

Added to this, the enemies are so stupid that they can’t even fight back half the time. Even if you do somehow manage to die the game ends up putting you straight back in to the action with no fuss. If you can’t finish this game it won’t be due to the difficulty, more likely the monotony.

Transfomers: ROTF has the unfortunate same initials as a well known internet phrase. It’s pretty apt, then, that you’ll probably be rolling on the floor after playing the game, either in laughter at someone else’s misfortune in buying it or in anger at your own.

Simply put, Transformers Revenge Of The Fallen is far from the game I hoped it would be and not recommended.

3/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.