GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A Very Very (ad infinitum) Short Story I Just Rambled Out"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 05/01/04 at 23:41
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
This is just typed directly in, so if there are any stupid mistakes, forgive me. I'm bored, y'see.

The siren like noise sounded out from just above my head, yet seemed to be flailing in strength. My alarm clock had been almost completely exhausted of its power supply for some time now, and the tone it created was somewhat low in pitch, and dull sounding, rather than the bright, high pitched whine it once used to be. I mentally added the fact that it needed new batteries to a long list of menial jobs that needed to be done. I reluctantly slid a hand from beneath my duvet, and stretched my arm upward in an arc shape to reach the alarm-cum-radio, which was perched upon a DIY style balsa wood shelf above me. The clock itself was one I had received free from Readers Digest some time ago. I had considered the brass cuboid like table clock, with its little brass handle on top, but I opted the alarm clock, as it was more practical. And besides, I needed a new one anyway.
I lay for some time after commanding the clock to silence with a firm thud across the 'sleep' button. I brought a hand to my face - first rubbing the cheek which was slightly numb, due to the fact that this was the side of my body which I had lay upon through the night, and then gradually stabbing at crusted flakes beneath my eyes. After slowly shaking my body into alertness from the long slumber which it had been in, I began to sit up and squint towards my bedroom window. Light shone through (though not as jubilantly as the day before), and seemed to bounced off the sky blue walls of the room. I pondered over whether the sun needed new batteries too.

Raising my torso up from my mattress, and swinging my legs round so I was sitting on the edge of my bed, I gave my head one last short shake while closing my eyes to awaken me fully, before springing onto my feet to head for the bathroom. I snatched at a shirt that just begged to be ironed that was hanging over the railing-like banister at the top of the stairs, and fumbled with the small plastic buttons that had not been undone during the process of removing it a few days earlier, before finally struggling to put it on. I embraced the cool air of the small, confined bathroom, as I swung open the door and entered. This room, like my bedroom, was a shade of blue, although more of a dark velvetty blue. I staggered somewhat towards the ceramic sink, reaching out towards the hot tap. I let it run for a moment or two, allowing it to reach a satisfying temperature that would remove the natural oil and grease from my face that I had acquired from the long day before. I had got back pretty late, and had therefore no time to shower or bathe. The new gym programme I was on was particularly tiring, and more tedious than the previous, but I felt it would have its benefits in the long run. Should I wish to take my career further, I had to increase my fitness dramatically. I knew that only too well. The months of shouting, bawling, and howling in my ears rung only too true with me. They had been criticised for this particular method and approach to welcoming new recruits, but hell, I now found myself with an even deeper desire to outdo myself in every aspect of my performances. I craved he countless hours of cross country running to increase my stamina past its peak. I desired the repetition. Towards chest, away from chest, towards chest, away from chest. The rowing machines had been a nightmare to me. But now they were my companion, exhausting me, yet rewarding my determination during the invariable hours upon it.

I let slip these thoughts. I didn’t want to think about the strain of it all, not now. This was now *my* time. It was my only opportunity in a long time to compensate myself for these strenuous training techniques and activities.

That’ll do for now, can’t be bothered to finish it just now. Maybe tomorrow.
Tue 06/01/04 at 18:30
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Cheers.
Yeah, I might actually work on it and completely re-do it when I get the time.
Tue 06/01/04 at 18:25
"Darkness, always"
Tis not bad. As a quick jot-down, it needs some grammtical adjustments, a few re-wordings and other general editing, but all off the cuff stuff does. I'm sure if you decided to re-write this sentence by sentence you could think of a dozen or more improvements of your own, so I won't point out any of mine here.

What you do notice about this piece is what I love about off-the-cuff work. Where is it going? Where did it come from? It hints at so many things. Something perhaps you don't even know it might be hinting at yourself. Who is this person? An obsessively self-improving Reader's Digest subscriber dreaming of reaching some unknown physical peak to achieve some un-named ambition? There are, obviously, plenty of different directions that you could take this, from the obvious "boot-camp" scenarios, to the well-oiled "wannabe hero" type things right through to the enforce-laboured captive.

Bottom line is that it's difficult to put this down, on the basis that it's purely rough-diamond un-edited work, but the imagination used and the concepts hinted at could make interesting reading once developed further. Would very much like to see an edited version of this, to see what it looks like once you've given it your own personal critique.
Tue 06/01/04 at 18:16
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Heh, ta.
Tue 06/01/04 at 18:15
"period drama"
To be honest, it was crappy.

Azul wrote:
>I pondered over
> whether the sun needed new batteries too.

Cheesy.
Tue 06/01/04 at 17:31
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Because that's how they should be done.
So fnar.
Tue 06/01/04 at 17:30
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Hey Azul, Why Do You Always Have A Capital At The Start Of Every Word In Your Titles?
Tue 06/01/04 at 17:28
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Oh, and the comments are appreciated.
Tue 06/01/04 at 08:27
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Oh dear. I sneezed.
*Ahem*
Tue 06/01/04 at 00:04
Regular
Azul wrote towards Drazen:
> I wonder about you sometimes. I really do.
Tue 06/01/04 at 00:03
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
I wonder about you sometimes. I really do.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.