GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GAD Advice: Submissions (Updated)"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 06/08/09 at 13:53
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Introduction

This is a (much promised) quick tips section on how to submit content and format your submissions to ;

a) Assure that all your submissions are actually used
b) Help Freeola staff members spend less time formatting submissions

I will go into a bit of detail about how things are done here :D

Please note that the advice I give here can be used by technical reviews however this is specifically for the Gaming side of the site/forums.

Contents

1. Cheats, Tips and Achievements/Trophies
2. Walkthroughs
3 Reviews/Chat Posts
4. General Tips

1. Cheats/Tips/Achievements

Achievements/Trophies
Also referred to as A/T

This category is for official XBOX360/PS3 achivs or trophies.

When you submit these please do so in this format:
Effect: List the name of the A/S and then the amount of points or the value of the trophy in brackets (ie: Blah Blah (10)/Blah Blah (Bronze)
When: During game
How: List how to perform the A/S (ie. Kill 20 zombies etc)

Submit these one by one, as they look horrendous submitted in one block, and will only count as 1 submission.

Cheats/Unlockables

These are pure cheat codes, or something that you have to unlock during the game. If there is no A/T for the achievement, then it is an unlockable.

Submit these in this format;
Effect: List the exact effect and nothing more. If the cheat gives you +10 lives state "Gives you +10 lives"
When: Say exactly when, and try and avoid vague phrases. During game is not detailed enough in most cases. If you have to pause say so
How: List what you have to do, if you enter a code list it here, if you have to kill a certain boss.....etc

Tips/Advice

Try and submit these by going through the tips page on the site. This will make our job slightly easier :D

Format is self explanatory by now. Try and use the above advice to by as detailed as possible.

2. Walkthroughs

What is a Walkthrough?

Let's put this is simply as possible. A walkthrough is a guide, describing how to perform certain levels or tasks within the game. In general this will be a complete level by level guide of the game, walking the reader through every section and teaching them how to succeed.

What will be accepted as a walkthrough?

As with everything we monitor all submissions manually, and as such there is a bit of lee way here. Generally we will accept anything that is helpful and concise, and chuck away anything that is complete nonsense.

We will also accept non-guide walkthroughs, such as a users recent "How do I get that achievement" submissions. However these should be clearly labelled and as concise as possible. Kill 100 "Blanks" to get "Blah" (10) is not good enough.

How should I submit a walkthrough

Walkthroughs are generally quite long, and detailed. We use the forum text field to display the content on site which is quite small, compared to other walkthrough sites. Due to this it is best to;

-Submit your content in normal text, edited in a simple word processor (Notepad for example) using no strange or uncommon characters, or html

-Avoid "ASCII drawings" of any nature, unless they are small and less than 30 characters wide

-Assure any "tables" (example below) is less than 60 characters long. We have to limit this to avoid breaks occurring ans destroying the "table"

-Assure text is not broken at any point other than where you wish it to be. Do not submit a paragraph on 9 different lines etc, (formatted for another walkthrough site). Sections of text should be effectively, 1 long line until it needs a new line or paragraph. The site will wrap it into the display anyway, and extra breaks will destroy the guide.

Anything else?

Not really. Just make sure you put a title at the top of the game, and check your spelling and punctuation :D

3. Reviews/Chat Posts

What is a review

Well this should be easy for veteran reviewers. Everyone has an opinion, and the more we share we more we learn. This section is mainly for reviewing games/movies/anything you want. If you have an opinion let people know! No rules dictate what is allowed to be reviewed (despite our regular forum T&C's)

How good does it have to be?

Again no rules here. Just say what you thought. I am not going to lie and say that quality does not matter, however it's the thought that counts (as they say)!.

Generally a 2 sentence post, poorly punctuated and full of spelling mistakes shows no effort and is unlikely to get any interest. It is also unlikely to win any awards (and in Freeola's case, Awards mean prizes!).

Any advice

There is no harm in submitting anything really, what we want is honest opinions and to let us know what the game is like. But in order to improve the review you may wish to;

-Make the review as tidy as possible, using correct punctuation when possible. This not only improves the look, but makes it a lot easier for readers to scan through the review.

-Explain in as much detail as possible. We are not asking for essays, but saying a game is "brill" is not as good as saying why the game is "brilliant", and explaining your thoughts.

-Score the game. You would be surprised how many people flick straight to this, and read the review based on this.

Anything else?

DO NOT plagiarise! Simple rule this. We do check these manually and there is a 5 second way of making sure the review i your own work. A forum user has posted a helpful topic helping people figure this out, so it's best to avoid it at all costs.

[b]Remember:[/b] If you post a review that isn't your own work please follow these rules, otherwise you will be plagerising, which is strongly frowned upon.

- DO NOT under any circumstances, use content that you do not have express and direct permission from the original owner to use.

- If the content states that anyone may use the information, then feel free to post, but make sure you abide by the owners requests, and credit the owner regardless.

4. General Tips

"Common sense is a wonderful thing, try and apply it wherever possible"
-Warhunt, 2009

Joking aside, as you may have noticed I have mentioned that we monitor things pretty much by hand. This gives us a lot of room to fully moderate and control submission, so it's generally a good idea to take your time over your submissions, and put some effort into them.

-Spell check your work. This saves us a job, and increases chances of a win!

-If you are not sure, ask before submitting. This will save you time and give us layabouts on the forums something to do :D

-All submissions should be entered before midnight on the day before the Award period (so to be eligible for Tuesdays award, your submission would need to be done and approved before Monday night at midnight)
Mon 13/09/10 at 11:15
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
Thank you for the replies. I will stick it in general and then you can move it if it's considered to be in the wrong place.

It's done but as usual I forget to stop typing... :D
Sun 12/09/10 at 14:16
Regular
"How Ironic"
pete_21 wrote:
> Is
> this
> what the Chrisola Technical Support team might look like ? :)

I knew exactly what that was before I even clicked it lol
Sun 12/09/10 at 13:19
Regular
Calm down calm down! :)
Sun 12/09/10 at 12:40
Regular
"I like turtles"
Is this what the Chrisola Technical Support team might look like ? :)
Sun 12/09/10 at 12:33
Regular
Now that would be TV genius!
Sun 12/09/10 at 12:03
Regular
"How Ironic"
"UNBEATABLE BANUZUKEEEEEEEE!"

I love the way he acts as though he's completed the challenges on that show himself. Blessed on a pogo stick. Pay to see, I would.
Sun 12/09/10 at 10:15
Regular
There aren't enough words to express how awesome that would be.

Instead, here is a picture of Brian Blessed
Sat 11/09/10 at 17:38
Regular
"How Ironic"
Scally broadband lmao I can see the internet security now...

"Chrisola Update: Lad, your firewall is brapping them viruses!"

Ah, if only....
Sat 11/09/10 at 17:01
Regular
Chrisola forums...post anything about Chris to have a chance of winning CAD...Chrisaday!

Chrisola Broadband is the new scally broadband service that...founded in 2010 by...(c) Chrisola...All Rights Reserved...:P
Sat 11/09/10 at 16:10
Regular
"How Ironic"
Seems to be alot of confusion regarding the small changes. Imagine what it would be like if you renamed the forum or something ;D

Chrisola is a personal recommendation...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.