GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What would you do if you knew the meaning of life?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 04/01/04 at 11:13
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Do you think it would change us if we knew the meaning of life? Why? We'd still need money to pay for stuff, which would mean that we'd still have to work. We'd have our routines, meal times, patterns, etc - what would change? Most people that aren't morons have figured out that life here on Earth is meaningless. We exist by pure chance, and have evolved to a state where we can ask what we're here for, which is a downer because there's no real answer. The best I can suggest is that we're not here for anything - we just are. We exist, but beyond that we are nothing.

Obviously it would be nice to know if life has a meaning. Life has value, so it must have a meaning for us to be here. After all, a hammer has value, and we made them to help bash things. Maybe the human mind isn't advanced enough to understand the concepts of life, the Universe and Everything. There are probably planets out there that have been evolving for millions of years more than us, and they probably have inhabitants that have a far greater understanding of how the Universe works. Maybe we were created by a much more advanced civilisation for a purpose that we aren't aware of yet - think how much that would ruin your Sunday afternoon!

And again it comes down to money. If you suddenly found out that we are, as the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy states, a giant computer built to find the answer to the ultimate question to Life The Universe and Everything, you'd still have to work. Food and water wouldn't suddenly become free. We'd still have to lead our daily lives. Maybe it's a testament to how f**ked up the human race is that we have to live like this. And what comes after life? Death, obviously, but what happens. Do we just see black for the rest of eternity? Is life after death like a waking coma? Do we come back? Maybe life is like a videogame baddie - you shuffle off the mortal coil, but turn a corner and you're back again with a clean slate.

I didn't mean to write this much, and I want to get far deeper into it, but it's Sunday morning and Pete and Bernie's Philosophical Steakhouse is closed for business. I'll stop now, maybe come back later.
Sun 04/01/04 at 11:13
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Do you think it would change us if we knew the meaning of life? Why? We'd still need money to pay for stuff, which would mean that we'd still have to work. We'd have our routines, meal times, patterns, etc - what would change? Most people that aren't morons have figured out that life here on Earth is meaningless. We exist by pure chance, and have evolved to a state where we can ask what we're here for, which is a downer because there's no real answer. The best I can suggest is that we're not here for anything - we just are. We exist, but beyond that we are nothing.

Obviously it would be nice to know if life has a meaning. Life has value, so it must have a meaning for us to be here. After all, a hammer has value, and we made them to help bash things. Maybe the human mind isn't advanced enough to understand the concepts of life, the Universe and Everything. There are probably planets out there that have been evolving for millions of years more than us, and they probably have inhabitants that have a far greater understanding of how the Universe works. Maybe we were created by a much more advanced civilisation for a purpose that we aren't aware of yet - think how much that would ruin your Sunday afternoon!

And again it comes down to money. If you suddenly found out that we are, as the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy states, a giant computer built to find the answer to the ultimate question to Life The Universe and Everything, you'd still have to work. Food and water wouldn't suddenly become free. We'd still have to lead our daily lives. Maybe it's a testament to how f**ked up the human race is that we have to live like this. And what comes after life? Death, obviously, but what happens. Do we just see black for the rest of eternity? Is life after death like a waking coma? Do we come back? Maybe life is like a videogame baddie - you shuffle off the mortal coil, but turn a corner and you're back again with a clean slate.

I didn't mean to write this much, and I want to get far deeper into it, but it's Sunday morning and Pete and Bernie's Philosophical Steakhouse is closed for business. I'll stop now, maybe come back later.
Sun 04/01/04 at 11:40
"Mimmargh!"
I really don't know what to say. It would depend on what the meaning of life is before I could tell you what to do. My responses could range from pillaging a village to eating someone.
Sun 04/01/04 at 11:44
Regular
"SOUP!"
If I knew the meaning of life I would sit smugly in a chair with a shotgun across my lap drinking cheap cider.

Seriously though, if it all became apparent to you and you told someone else then they probably, unless they are unable of free thinking, wouldnt beleive you. Perhaps everyones meaning of life is different and appeals to their own deep embedded beleifs - I don't see one generic meaning as applicable to everyone.

You've made me get in a thinking mood now - off I go to write.
Sun 04/01/04 at 11:49
Regular
"Monochromatic"
id tell everyone so they could stop killing each other and get on with it
Sun 04/01/04 at 12:02
Regular
"SOUP!"
What if the meaning of life was "kill each other" ? That wouldnt work then would it.
Sun 04/01/04 at 12:56
Regular
"Light of the world"
Nice to know that your consept on everyone else that does not share your view is categorised as a 'moron'...
Sun 04/01/04 at 13:03
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Lil Ginge wrote:
> Nice to know that your consept on everyone else that does not share
> your view is categorised as a 'moron'...

Yeah, it is isn't it ;p
Sun 04/01/04 at 13:04
Regular
"Light of the world"
tsk
Sun 04/01/04 at 13:06
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
tut
Sun 04/01/04 at 13:47
"period drama"
Woo.
Online beat-box.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.