GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"XDK - Smart move MS!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 31/12/03 at 19:43
Regular
"Bond - James Bond"
We know about MS, we know about xbox, and we also know that xbox is the most powerful console on the market, rivalled by the ps2 only because it has a huge library of games and the gamecube because it has mario and others.
As far as my opinion goes, MS didnt want any rivals. And that is why they had released the xbox software development kit, affectionately called the XDK. The XDK is given to MS certified programmers only, and they can create any piece of software that can run on the xbox with it.
Perhaps this was one of the attempts to make the xbox better than its rivals. The more home-brew software, emulators and other enhancements for a console, the more attractive it is to thos who know about it!
Using the XDK, programmers like x-port (xport.xbox-scene.com) and lantus have created emulators for various classic consoles on xbox. The emulators allow you to play games of all the classic consoles without any extra hardware, for free! We are also aware of Linux for xbox and other software that can run on xbox floating around the net.
There is no doubt Microsoft has released the XDK for any other purpose other than, as I said, crushing the opposition.
Why do I tell such: -
XDK owners are free to develop software for the xbox, but are not allowed to distribute them. Which suggests the point that MS wanted to have a lot of home-brew software for its console, yet it did not want to fall in legal disputes or hurt its reputation. While ps2, gc and gba homebrew developers try hard to figure out the assembly language of the three, xbox home-brew developers develop at ease with the XDK, writing only the program.
Smart move MS!
Thu 01/01/04 at 19:58
"period drama"
Microsoft suck. It / they / HE should burn in hell.
Big up the Mac.
Thu 01/01/04 at 19:56
Regular
"Anyone for Ted Ex?"
yes, how smegging great...

git.
Wed 31/12/03 at 20:05
Regular
"Bond - James Bond"
HálloHowArtThou wrote:
> You got one GAD..
> That's enough.
Well that does not make me greedy, but when I am off to reviewing my 50 games collection with good quality, just 1 is not worth it. Well, as I am from India I am never going to claim the GADs till I give my relatives' address in the UK, I dont bother for GADs till I avtually recieve one.
Wed 31/12/03 at 20:00
"slightlyshortertagl"
You got one GAD..
That's enough.
Wed 31/12/03 at 19:58
Regular
"Ye a know"
makes sense
Wed 31/12/03 at 19:57
Regular
"Bond - James Bond"
No my pirpose isnt to win a GAD by posting this topic here after posting it in MS room. I just wanted to get more views.
Wed 31/12/03 at 19:55
Regular
"Ye a know"
how many topics you actually created today?
Wed 31/12/03 at 19:51
"slightlyshortertagl"
No, you won't win a GAD by posting your topics everywhere.
Wed 31/12/03 at 19:43
Regular
"Bond - James Bond"
We know about MS, we know about xbox, and we also know that xbox is the most powerful console on the market, rivalled by the ps2 only because it has a huge library of games and the gamecube because it has mario and others.
As far as my opinion goes, MS didnt want any rivals. And that is why they had released the xbox software development kit, affectionately called the XDK. The XDK is given to MS certified programmers only, and they can create any piece of software that can run on the xbox with it.
Perhaps this was one of the attempts to make the xbox better than its rivals. The more home-brew software, emulators and other enhancements for a console, the more attractive it is to thos who know about it!
Using the XDK, programmers like x-port (xport.xbox-scene.com) and lantus have created emulators for various classic consoles on xbox. The emulators allow you to play games of all the classic consoles without any extra hardware, for free! We are also aware of Linux for xbox and other software that can run on xbox floating around the net.
There is no doubt Microsoft has released the XDK for any other purpose other than, as I said, crushing the opposition.
Why do I tell such: -
XDK owners are free to develop software for the xbox, but are not allowed to distribute them. Which suggests the point that MS wanted to have a lot of home-brew software for its console, yet it did not want to fall in legal disputes or hurt its reputation. While ps2, gc and gba homebrew developers try hard to figure out the assembly language of the three, xbox home-brew developers develop at ease with the XDK, writing only the program.
Smart move MS!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.