GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Dragon Quest: Rocket Slime"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime'.
Tue 04/08/09 at 10:24
Regular
"THFC"
[GAME] Dragon Quest: Rocket Slime (Nintendo DS)

The Dragon quest series is one of the biggest, and in Japan it is massive and even rivals Final Fantasy. It is becoming more popular over here and that is great news for RPG fans. However, this is probably not the type of game you might expect to be buying when you grab a Dragon Quest box in the game shop. Yes this is an RPG in sorts, but not the typical young man goes to save the world and the one he loves while making friends and getting stronger. No, in this game, you are a Slime (those of you unaware of these creatures, they are the most common and basic enemy in the dragon quest series, like a small mass of goo i suppose).

The game revolves around a young Slime who is used to spending his days in the quiet and peaceful town he grew up in, when one day, while playing with his friends near the castle. One of the young slimes takes a flute from the castle and through a basic tutorial of movement, ends up letting you play a tune on it. Within minutes of this happening, your town is attacked and you swallow the flute (turning you into a misshapen Slime), anyway while you are attacked, all the slimes are taken away to be held hostage, except you. You get thrown away because they think you are a baseball bat. (Dragon Quest does have this slight humour in plots and text, which is a nice change). So you end up being the last Slime, and with no choice but to go and save your friends and family, you set off.

The game revolves around you moving about certain areas, looking for boxes that have your friends in them, You can attack, jump and glide, but there is little more to the fighting in this aspect. The main battles occur when enemies challenge you to a tank battle. Lucky for you, that flute summons an ancient Slime Tank that can cause serious damage. The battle between the two tanks are something of a new battle system, but an enjoyable one! You collect items on your journey and use these as ammo in your tank. From an empty treasure chest, to a sword. Anything you collect and send back to town can be used in your battles pretty much. So you work your way around the tank collecting the ammo and loading the cannons, as does your enemy. Once the items hit and deplete the enemy tank’s HP, you then have to move in for the kill. Get out of your tank, roll to the enemy’s tank and attack it’s heart. Job done and you are rewarded with saving a Slime friend and some new, usually better tank ammo. So an interesting system that keeps things fun for a while. I did grow bored of the game after about 5 hours. The battle lacked depth in my opinion and while you obtain hearts to increase your health (like in Zelda games) i just did not find enough to keep me playing.

One thing i did like, when you rescue friends you can then have up to 3 of them help in your tank. Each with their own traits, be it load the top or bottom cannon. Heal party members, or even use themselves as ammo to enter the enemy tank and cause havoc! So this was fun and the game was enjoyable for the first 1/3, but it became tedious thereafter, doing the same thing with repetitive combat. This game was a sidestep for the series and might act as a nice change, but i would probably be disappointed to buy this game. I would say rent it for a weekend, as it will provide entertainment with it’s difference, but if you are like me, then there is not enough to keep things going, and was too repetitive.

5/10
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Tue 04/08/09 at 10:24
Regular
"THFC"
[GAME] Dragon Quest: Rocket Slime (Nintendo DS)

The Dragon quest series is one of the biggest, and in Japan it is massive and even rivals Final Fantasy. It is becoming more popular over here and that is great news for RPG fans. However, this is probably not the type of game you might expect to be buying when you grab a Dragon Quest box in the game shop. Yes this is an RPG in sorts, but not the typical young man goes to save the world and the one he loves while making friends and getting stronger. No, in this game, you are a Slime (those of you unaware of these creatures, they are the most common and basic enemy in the dragon quest series, like a small mass of goo i suppose).

The game revolves around a young Slime who is used to spending his days in the quiet and peaceful town he grew up in, when one day, while playing with his friends near the castle. One of the young slimes takes a flute from the castle and through a basic tutorial of movement, ends up letting you play a tune on it. Within minutes of this happening, your town is attacked and you swallow the flute (turning you into a misshapen Slime), anyway while you are attacked, all the slimes are taken away to be held hostage, except you. You get thrown away because they think you are a baseball bat. (Dragon Quest does have this slight humour in plots and text, which is a nice change). So you end up being the last Slime, and with no choice but to go and save your friends and family, you set off.

The game revolves around you moving about certain areas, looking for boxes that have your friends in them, You can attack, jump and glide, but there is little more to the fighting in this aspect. The main battles occur when enemies challenge you to a tank battle. Lucky for you, that flute summons an ancient Slime Tank that can cause serious damage. The battle between the two tanks are something of a new battle system, but an enjoyable one! You collect items on your journey and use these as ammo in your tank. From an empty treasure chest, to a sword. Anything you collect and send back to town can be used in your battles pretty much. So you work your way around the tank collecting the ammo and loading the cannons, as does your enemy. Once the items hit and deplete the enemy tank’s HP, you then have to move in for the kill. Get out of your tank, roll to the enemy’s tank and attack it’s heart. Job done and you are rewarded with saving a Slime friend and some new, usually better tank ammo. So an interesting system that keeps things fun for a while. I did grow bored of the game after about 5 hours. The battle lacked depth in my opinion and while you obtain hearts to increase your health (like in Zelda games) i just did not find enough to keep me playing.

One thing i did like, when you rescue friends you can then have up to 3 of them help in your tank. Each with their own traits, be it load the top or bottom cannon. Heal party members, or even use themselves as ammo to enter the enemy tank and cause havoc! So this was fun and the game was enjoyable for the first 1/3, but it became tedious thereafter, doing the same thing with repetitive combat. This game was a sidestep for the series and might act as a nice change, but i would probably be disappointed to buy this game. I would say rent it for a weekend, as it will provide entertainment with it’s difference, but if you are like me, then there is not enough to keep things going, and was too repetitive.

5/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.