GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"MGS2: It may be good but it isn't THAT good!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 20/03/01 at 23:15
Regular
Whenever I see any forum or letters page where somene critisises the Playstation 2 in any way you can bet that there will be several indignant replies back and they nearly always go something like this:
'It may not be great right now but just wait until Metal Gear Solid 2 comes out. That'll blow all the competition away'.
Fair enough but these people need to be reminded that MGS2 is just 1 GAME! I'm sure it will be great but 1 great game doesn't make up for a lack of other good titles on any one system and it certainly won't help the PS2 that much in the long run.
Look at the origonal Metal Gear Solid. When it came out it was hailed as the best game ever but now most of my PS owning friends admit that, although it was good, it still only lasted 24 hours and there was no real reason to play it much after that. It was good, yes, but it didn't have the lasting effect that a game like Goldeneye which is still popular today.

When Perfect Dark was released many N64 owners thought that it would turn the fortunes of their console around overnight. After all, as a semi-sequel to one of the best N64 games, how could it fail?
But look at it now. All the hype has died down and, while it's recognised as an excellent game it's not the ground breaking masterpiece that most N64 owners had hoped for.

Anyway, I'll round off by saying that PS2 owners shouldn't put all their faith into MGS2 and believe that, once it is released, all the games after that will be of the same quality. If you take away all the hype and fancy graphics all you're left with is a good game that will probably wow players in the short tems but do very little to help the long term fortunes of the PS2.

Tue 20/03/01 at 23:15
Whenever I see any forum or letters page where somene critisises the Playstation 2 in any way you can bet that there will be several indignant replies back and they nearly always go something like this:
'It may not be great right now but just wait until Metal Gear Solid 2 comes out. That'll blow all the competition away'.
Fair enough but these people need to be reminded that MGS2 is just 1 GAME! I'm sure it will be great but 1 great game doesn't make up for a lack of other good titles on any one system and it certainly won't help the PS2 that much in the long run.
Look at the origonal Metal Gear Solid. When it came out it was hailed as the best game ever but now most of my PS owning friends admit that, although it was good, it still only lasted 24 hours and there was no real reason to play it much after that. It was good, yes, but it didn't have the lasting effect that a game like Goldeneye which is still popular today.

When Perfect Dark was released many N64 owners thought that it would turn the fortunes of their console around overnight. After all, as a semi-sequel to one of the best N64 games, how could it fail?
But look at it now. All the hype has died down and, while it's recognised as an excellent game it's not the ground breaking masterpiece that most N64 owners had hoped for.

Anyway, I'll round off by saying that PS2 owners shouldn't put all their faith into MGS2 and believe that, once it is released, all the games after that will be of the same quality. If you take away all the hype and fancy graphics all you're left with is a good game that will probably wow players in the short tems but do very little to help the long term fortunes of the PS2.

Tue 20/03/01 at 23:22
Regular
this is just one stupid circle.
Tue 20/03/01 at 23:47
Regular
MGS2 is another hyped up game that we hope to live up to high expectations.
You've seen the screenshots the movies and the demos yes it looks good, but will it all that good as the next best PS2 game?
No but Perfect Dark was made in the N64's dieing number of games, there won't be a Perfect Dark beater, there was a Goldeneye beater but no other shoot em' ups will be able to compete with Perfect Dark now they have concentrated on more advanced consoles.
If you try the demo i think you would be suprised to find it has good ideas in! MGS is a new kind of shoot em' up twist it with stealthy levels you have the ultimate shoot em' up, yeah maybe it's too short but they still enjoyed it.

The AI is magnificently better than Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, but as i said there could be the next game waiting to be hyped as the best game ever.
But what is the next best game ever since Zelda on the N64, people must agree Zelda OoT was so far in years of development, it's a superb game.
MGS 2 will be one hot game I can promise you, Konami know what they are doing, with the PS2 they are able to make it the greatest experience for all gamers alike.
Wed 21/03/01 at 06:44
SNIPER:

I think what he's mostly referring to is replayability. I must admit, without a multiplayer option present, MGS 2 will lose some of its appeal, just as MGS did. Please don't misunderstand: I loved MGS; it was a terrific game that was put together very well. But replayable? I didn't think so, and neither did any of my friends. Once you've done it, you've done it. It's not like Perfect Dark or Goldeneye, where you can play alongside your friends and maximize its gaming longevity.

I look forward to MGS 2, but I doubt it'll provide the same extensive experience that Red Faction would; that is, if the blasted thing is multiplayer. [I'm sure the PC version of it will be. =)]
Wed 21/03/01 at 10:03
Regular
The muppet who made this topic wrote:

"Anyway, I'll round off by saying that PS2 owners shouldn't put all their faith into MGS2 and believe that, once it is released, all the games after that will be of the same quality. If you take away all the hype and fancy graphics all you're left with is a good game that will probably wow players in the short tems but do very little to help the long term fortunes of the PS2."

I have been posting for a long tme here now, and I have never seen any arguments that totally rely on MGS2. It comes up often because it will be very good, but most people mention other games as well.

I`m not going to bother to go into all the other details, but basically, you haven't really looked hard enough at *all these people* and their arguments.

On the subject of lastability, MGS received criticism soley due to the length of the game. I doubt very much that MGS2 will be made with the same problem, so perhaps it will be THAT good.
Wed 21/03/01 at 10:19
A: Nintendo have a greater gaming history than Sony.

B: Ah, but, MGS2!

A: Oddworld have switched to the XBox, and Microsoft have a lot of developers signed up already.

B: Yes, but....... MGS2!

As a PS2 owner I get fed up of other posts blindly defending the PS2, with MGS2 as main response. It makes the PS2 look like a one game console, which it certainly isn't. It does look superb, and I'm really looking forward to it. But it's definitely not at the top of my PS2 wishlist (I'm looking forward to games like The Getaway, Red Faction and Wipeout Fusion more). MGS2 will break new boundaries for gaming, but having your eggs in one basket makes them easier to smash ;-).
Wed 21/03/01 at 11:17
Regular
It's not even out for god's sake!
Wed 21/03/01 at 12:06
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
Topic name "MGS2: It may be good but it isn't THAT good!"

Well, that's your opinion, mine is MGS2 looks good at the moment and when it comes out it will be THAT good.
Wed 21/03/01 at 13:12
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
What is Metal Gear Solid 2?

Please will somebody play Army Men 2 with me, my friends wont come over anymore

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.