GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
""MiddlesBOREough""

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 29/12/03 at 10:38
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Is it just me, or are Middlesbrough THE most-boring team in the current Premier League line-up!?

Teams below them in the table may well be performing worse, but even botton-of-the-league Relegation "favourites" Wolves managed to beat a one-place-better and improving Leeds United side by THREE-goals-to-one!

A lot of people have been praising Steve McClaren for what he's done... But, what, really, has he done? After watching yesterday's game against (my) Man United, I find it hard to believe Middlesborough are what they `are´. If you ask me, I say even Spurs are performing better than them this season - "more entertainingly", even!

Don't get me wrong; 'Boro have some great players in their squad.
They've got a rather solid defence with Ugo Ehiogu and Gareth Southgate in the centre, and have managed to keep a record-number of straight clean-sheets, recently, because of this (...or so we're lead to believe...). And while they may not have Lilian Thuram and Bixente Lizarazu as full-backs, what they do have is good-enough, with Australia's Mark Schwarzer in-goal.

Their midfield isn't all-the-bad bad either. I mean, when you've got a the international quality of Spain's Gaizka Mendieta in the `heart´ of your team, you know it can only be a good thing. He can hit the back of the net from almost any angle or distance - something he proved to us all with Valencia. ...Yet, with the "unknown" names surrounding him in that area of the pitch, I am quite amazed Senoir Mendieta very rarely ever "outshines" the rest of him 'Boro team-mates - and, even, those of the opposition - as the man of the match.

And while Michael Ricketts may not exactly be "Thierry Henry" or even "Ruud van Nistelrooy", he did show us that he DID know where the goal was, when he first made a name for himself at the Reebok Stadium; attracting a lot of interest from all-sorts of Premiershipclubs; big and small. He even managed to gain the recognition from Sven-Goran Eriksson for his first (and, so far, `only´) full-England Cap.
But we cannot forget Juninho. The man every Middlesbrough fan loves; who loves the club back in the same-way, just as much (if not more, even, given this isn't the first - or even second - time he's come back to the Riverside!).
And even "bench-warmer" Massimo Maccarone has shown us, in the past, how he has a strong eye-for-goal. As has Malcolm Christie (when fully-fit, of course).

Middlesbrough do have some very-talented individuals, indeed. And, as of last-season, it looked like Steve McClaren's side may well have been on the right-track towards a promising development in the club's long-and-hard pushes for silverware, in the near future.

But where were all these "star-players" yesterday, eh?
Where was the flair of Mendieta? Where were Michael Ricketts predatory instincts??

United were by-no-means "at their best". Yet, because of 'Boro's failure to CREATE any "real"-chances for themselves, we went away at the end of the day with all-3-points.
I mean, did McClaren's side ever really look like they were going to score?
Not in the first-half, that's for sure!

Okay, so they did have some reasonabley-good times infront of Tim Howard's net; but, those weren't really the kind of "chances" any team could be proud to call "their own".
The majority of them, infact - if not ALL - were down to the mistakes and errors of a tired Man United side, in the heat of a frustrated match in which Darren Fletcher was red-carded.
Sure, they certainly did have a few refereeing descisions go against them - as did United - but, that is now a "regularity" in Premier League Football, these days. And it doesn't look as if the FA, FIFA or anyone will be looking for any way to help solve this situation, anytime soon. So, you cannot hide-behind these "excuses".

And where the heck was that pint-sized Brazillian "World Cup-winner" for the 90-minutes he was in for (according to the stat's, anyway!)???

The fact is, Middlesbrough were - and ARE - poor. I don't know what exactly has happened to them, but they'd better get it sorted soon, before they put us all to sleep and end-up fighting an end-of-season Relegation Battle with "Dirty" Leeds and a pack of angry Wolves.

They just don't look like they're going to score, anymore.
Do they miss Hamilton Ricard? Did, one-player, Geremi, really make that-much of a difference to them, last year??

They don't appear to have the `inspiration´ given from one-or-two REAL world-class stars. Sure, they have Medieta; but he looks a totally-different player, over here! Despite what they'd like to think, Juninho HAS changed. And Fabrizio Ravenelli is long-gone.

Maybe they should do a Bolton?
I'm sure there are plenty of other "World Cup has-beens" (like Djorkaeff and co.) just waiting for "one-last-chance", somewhere....
Fri 02/01/04 at 12:22
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Well, I suppose Tottenham are also a pretty boring team to watch, really. Yes, I suppose players like Robbie Keane do make a difference - especially Stephane Dalmat; what a loan-signing he's been!

But both Spurs and 'Boro have some top-names in their sides; yet, they play such `dull´ and un-entertaning football, most of the time.
Is it really about the players themselves? Or could it be that, in the way the manager sends them out to play, the "flair" players are not allowed to express themselves?

I mean, Sam Alladyce told Jay-Jay Okocha to tone-down his skillful side for this season, and look how different Bolton have been this time; even if they are winning big-games. They're not all that entertaining to watch, either really. But it's because they're still playing well and producing the goods that we do keep an eye open for them.

However, 'Boro (aside from the clean-sheets) and Spurs are not really playing that-well, either.
Tue 30/12/03 at 19:33
Regular
"Baros!!!"
I always thought Tottenham were boring, but Keane is making them look a little bit more entertaining.

I find it surprising how Middlesbrough can't play entertaining football with the like of Maccerone and Juninho.

Lets hope Arsenal beat them in the Carling Cup final, otherwise we could watch a boring cup final in March.

At least they ain't as boring as Sunderland were.
Mon 29/12/03 at 20:40
Regular
"Yum, Pedigree Chum"
Totally agree man!!! boring
Mon 29/12/03 at 16:39
Regular
"Colourless"
Boring Boring Middlesborough
Mon 29/12/03 at 16:31
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
I `love´ "reading" what you `write´, because "you" have "such an interesting" and `artistic´ usage of `punctuation´.
"Yey"
Mon 29/12/03 at 11:17
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Well, unless he really is that desperate (after all, he did say he would like to play for SPURS!), I can't see Middlesbrough standing much of a chance in getting Rivaldo on a free, with offers likely to come in from Italy, Spain and even back home in Brazil.

However, if he IS that desperate, and he would consider a move to the Riverside, I don't think money would be too much of a problem for them...
They may not be "swimming in it" or anything, but they were certainly more-than-happy to pay Alen Boksic his £63,000-a-week, weren't they!

They may not be Chelski-rich, but they found a way.
And, frankly, anyone who didn't even TRY to do the same to get a player of Rivaldo's calibure would, simply, be insane. :)

And I don't think Nicky Butt'll be going anywhere. He'd certainly be a good addittion to the squad, but he, too, would be mad to leave United right now. With Rio Ferdinand's ban beginning soon, Ferguson will be looking for ways to strengthen his backline. And if he doesn't get "The One" during the transfer window, he may be looking to push Roy Keane back into a centre-back role; givng ``someone´´ the chance to take his place in the heart of United's midfield.

And, to make it easy, Nicky Butt has always been reffered to as "the English Roy Keane". ;)

So, either way, things don't look too-hot for Middlesbrough, right now.

However, he will have to find someone... Trouble is, it's likely to be some Second Divisioner who takes his time to adjust to life at the top.
Mon 29/12/03 at 10:52
Regular
"An Evil Resident"
Solskjær wrote:

> Maybe they should do a Bolton?
> I'm sure there are plenty of other "World Cup has-beens"
> (like Djorkaeff and co.) just waiting for
> "one-last-chance", somewhere....

Another high quality post Solskjaer...

Maybe one of the World Cup 'has beens' could be Rivaldo?

Steve Mclaren does want Nicky Butt but will he get him? hmm...
Mon 29/12/03 at 10:38
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Is it just me, or are Middlesbrough THE most-boring team in the current Premier League line-up!?

Teams below them in the table may well be performing worse, but even botton-of-the-league Relegation "favourites" Wolves managed to beat a one-place-better and improving Leeds United side by THREE-goals-to-one!

A lot of people have been praising Steve McClaren for what he's done... But, what, really, has he done? After watching yesterday's game against (my) Man United, I find it hard to believe Middlesborough are what they `are´. If you ask me, I say even Spurs are performing better than them this season - "more entertainingly", even!

Don't get me wrong; 'Boro have some great players in their squad.
They've got a rather solid defence with Ugo Ehiogu and Gareth Southgate in the centre, and have managed to keep a record-number of straight clean-sheets, recently, because of this (...or so we're lead to believe...). And while they may not have Lilian Thuram and Bixente Lizarazu as full-backs, what they do have is good-enough, with Australia's Mark Schwarzer in-goal.

Their midfield isn't all-the-bad bad either. I mean, when you've got a the international quality of Spain's Gaizka Mendieta in the `heart´ of your team, you know it can only be a good thing. He can hit the back of the net from almost any angle or distance - something he proved to us all with Valencia. ...Yet, with the "unknown" names surrounding him in that area of the pitch, I am quite amazed Senoir Mendieta very rarely ever "outshines" the rest of him 'Boro team-mates - and, even, those of the opposition - as the man of the match.

And while Michael Ricketts may not exactly be "Thierry Henry" or even "Ruud van Nistelrooy", he did show us that he DID know where the goal was, when he first made a name for himself at the Reebok Stadium; attracting a lot of interest from all-sorts of Premiershipclubs; big and small. He even managed to gain the recognition from Sven-Goran Eriksson for his first (and, so far, `only´) full-England Cap.
But we cannot forget Juninho. The man every Middlesbrough fan loves; who loves the club back in the same-way, just as much (if not more, even, given this isn't the first - or even second - time he's come back to the Riverside!).
And even "bench-warmer" Massimo Maccarone has shown us, in the past, how he has a strong eye-for-goal. As has Malcolm Christie (when fully-fit, of course).

Middlesbrough do have some very-talented individuals, indeed. And, as of last-season, it looked like Steve McClaren's side may well have been on the right-track towards a promising development in the club's long-and-hard pushes for silverware, in the near future.

But where were all these "star-players" yesterday, eh?
Where was the flair of Mendieta? Where were Michael Ricketts predatory instincts??

United were by-no-means "at their best". Yet, because of 'Boro's failure to CREATE any "real"-chances for themselves, we went away at the end of the day with all-3-points.
I mean, did McClaren's side ever really look like they were going to score?
Not in the first-half, that's for sure!

Okay, so they did have some reasonabley-good times infront of Tim Howard's net; but, those weren't really the kind of "chances" any team could be proud to call "their own".
The majority of them, infact - if not ALL - were down to the mistakes and errors of a tired Man United side, in the heat of a frustrated match in which Darren Fletcher was red-carded.
Sure, they certainly did have a few refereeing descisions go against them - as did United - but, that is now a "regularity" in Premier League Football, these days. And it doesn't look as if the FA, FIFA or anyone will be looking for any way to help solve this situation, anytime soon. So, you cannot hide-behind these "excuses".

And where the heck was that pint-sized Brazillian "World Cup-winner" for the 90-minutes he was in for (according to the stat's, anyway!)???

The fact is, Middlesbrough were - and ARE - poor. I don't know what exactly has happened to them, but they'd better get it sorted soon, before they put us all to sleep and end-up fighting an end-of-season Relegation Battle with "Dirty" Leeds and a pack of angry Wolves.

They just don't look like they're going to score, anymore.
Do they miss Hamilton Ricard? Did, one-player, Geremi, really make that-much of a difference to them, last year??

They don't appear to have the `inspiration´ given from one-or-two REAL world-class stars. Sure, they have Medieta; but he looks a totally-different player, over here! Despite what they'd like to think, Juninho HAS changed. And Fabrizio Ravenelli is long-gone.

Maybe they should do a Bolton?
I'm sure there are plenty of other "World Cup has-beens" (like Djorkaeff and co.) just waiting for "one-last-chance", somewhere....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.