GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"LOTR - Movie or Book?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 28/12/03 at 18:09
Regular
Dunno if this has been asked before but it's an interesting question.

I'm not going to be pretentious about it either - I tried reading the books and they were boring. The movie was much more enjoyable.

How about you?
Sun 28/12/03 at 18:09
Regular
Dunno if this has been asked before but it's an interesting question.

I'm not going to be pretentious about it either - I tried reading the books and they were boring. The movie was much more enjoyable.

How about you?
Sun 28/12/03 at 18:20
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Book > film.

But that is because it's genius and IS the story - if the film was exactly the story, then that'd be the best. I loved the films because they were such good representations of the story in the books. It's like the Silmarillion. A film of that would never ever work because the book is so damn complicated, and as such is a work of genius unsurpassed, at least in terms of a myth rather than a decent narrative.

The books might be very long, wordy and at times slow, but when the real things happen, like Frodo Sam and Gollum seeing Minas Morgul for the first time, or the immortal lines of the horns of Rohan, or for instance the very first sound they hear of a Black Rider, you shiver and your imagination is just taken away by it and you see what you think of it. These moments are just incomparable to any other book I have ever read - while people may find the songs dull, the sheer bredth behind them, the stories of the Silmarillion are incredible. However, the Lord Of The Rings, bookwise, are also special because they mix this ancient story with such homely characters as Hobbits and it isn't ridiculous, unlike certain boy wonders saving the world from such 'evil and terrible' creatures.

The books are just incredible. No other book has made me shiver at the thought of horror and death, or smile at such relief when something good happens. I still read them now, knowing exactly when something is going to happen and why and what the consequences are of it, and I still am compelled. By the time the chapter of Mount Doom or Battle of The Pelennor Fields come around, I still am waiting in almost feverish anticipation.

However, the films are wonderful, wonderful representations. When they saw Minas Morgul, I actually leaned across to a friend and said 'I've been waiting for years for this bit'. When the Riders of Rohan were galloping to the attack, there was actually a lump in my throat, because it was an almost perfect visualisation of what I had imagined it being like. The films are brilliant, from the Shire, Moria, Lorien, Fangorn, Isenguard and Minas Tirith and Mordor and all the places and people in between, but the books pip them (despite such incredible film making) because they ARE the story, and as such they are better, because that is the whole point of the films. But it is the best film trilogy ever, and I think ROTK may well be my new favourite.

Oo, that was longer than anticipated. Well, it deserves it. I could go on forever about the Silmarillion.
Sun 28/12/03 at 18:36
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
The book does indeed still own the films.

There is no doubt that Peter Jackson done the best job you could do, but in making a film so many of the parts of the story that make it what it has have to be cut out. In the end the books are a far more emotional experience, but in the end, thats the only way it could ever be.
Sun 28/12/03 at 18:37
Regular
Heh. Perhaps I'll give the books another go then.

I only got halfway through the Fellowship you see.
Sun 28/12/03 at 19:07
Regular
"That's right!"
I stopped reading the book before the little midgets even met Strider. I guess that makes me ignorant. But it sucked.

However, since I did spend 15 quid on the trilogy, I'll start reading it again sooner or later.
Sun 28/12/03 at 22:47
Regular
What Cyclone and The Cookie said. The books are infinitely better. Which takes nothing away from the awesome event that was the films. But that any LotR film fan aside and tell "The Fellowship would've failed without Glorfindel" and they'll go "Who? No, it was Xena:Warrior Arwen." This is why the books are better. Simply - depth.
Sun 28/12/03 at 22:50
Regular
MoJoJoJo wrote:
> I stopped reading the book before the little midgets even met Strider.
> I guess that makes me ignorant. But it sucked.
>
> However, since I did spend 15 quid on the trilogy, I'll start reading
> it again sooner or later.

I've just got past the arrival to the Prancing Pony - it seems to be getting better now.

I too didn't really enjoy the part about Tom Bombadillo.
Sun 28/12/03 at 22:54
Regular
The books are better, there was far too much detail to include it all in the films. Don't get me wrong, the films are great, but they lack so much, even from the early points when they don't go into the forest and meet Tom Bombadil, instead they just arrive in Bree.
Sun 28/12/03 at 22:55
Regular
If they'd cast Richard Briers as Tom Bombadil it would've been genius. Tom is crucial to the story. He's more powerful that all the characters in the film. Especially Sauron. Put together.
Sun 28/12/03 at 23:07
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I find it very hard to read books, once I get interested in them and find the time I seem to enjoy the odd book but most of the time I give up. Not really into books.

That being said though if you find a good book it is usually better than the film - more chance to let your imagination wonder and create your own vision of whats going on instead of just watching what is there for you to see.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.