GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 DVD games"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 19/03/01 at 23:08
Regular
There is all these great PS2 games but non are on DVD ROM disks, Why?. The Game SSX is wicked and if it was on DVD disk then they could of made alot bigger and better with more levels, riders and may be a level builder the possibilities are end less. Thats what they say about the PS2 in general (the possibilites are end less) so why don't they use DVD disk when they can and make the best games on earth and make BILL GATES and his machine scarred!

Mon 19/03/01 at 23:08
There is all these great PS2 games but non are on DVD ROM disks, Why?. The Game SSX is wicked and if it was on DVD disk then they could of made alot bigger and better with more levels, riders and may be a level builder the possibilities are end less. Thats what they say about the PS2 in general (the possibilites are end less) so why don't they use DVD disk when they can and make the best games on earth and make BILL GATES and his machine scarred!

Mon 19/03/01 at 23:38
No: There are a lot of PS2 DVD games coming or out:

Kessen was the first.
Ones to come out:
Metal Gear Solid 2(2 disc)
Gran Turismo 3- A Spec
Final Fantasy X(1 or special edition 2 disc with extra FMV)
Silent Hill 2
Resident Evil: Code Veronica X
The Bouncer

There are loads more, but dont really worry- games are just as good on normal GDROM or CDROM as they are DVD ROM, its just better graphics and sound and perhaps slightly longer games. DVD roms can handle photo realistic graphics because of the larger storage space whereas CD's cant.
Tue 20/03/01 at 11:52
"High polygon count"
The use of CD or DVD has no real bearing on the quality of graphics in a game. It can in theory affect the length of a game, but only in the amount of data that can be stored.

It is true that photo-realistic textures generally require more storage space, but if a game isn't that large and doesn't use that many textures, then it may well fit on a normal CD.

Rest assured, if a game requires more data than can be stored on a CD, the developer is likely to us a DVD. DVD's are more expensive to produce, so no developer is going to go to the extra expense unless the game really needs it. And rightly so; if the data files for a game only total 400Mb, it will fit on a CD, so why bother with the extra cost of a DVD?

Even so, some developers may choose to use 2 CD's instead of 1 DVD, as it may still be cheaper.
Tue 20/03/01 at 12:36
As a small PS. I believe the 'special edition' of SSX in development will be on DVD.
Tue 20/03/01 at 13:03
Regular
"not dead"
Was it the name that gave it away?

SSX: DVD Edition
Tue 20/03/01 at 15:18
Yes, it was. Not to be mistaken with the 'dangerous vertical drop' edition.
Wed 21/03/01 at 01:44
And don't forget Fantavision! That was one of the first that was on a DVD Format, have a look at the colour of the disk and you will see!
Wed 21/03/01 at 09:49
Yeh - I bought Fantavision. That didn't have great longevity, it was too easy to complete. It shows that DVD has the potential to make things better, but unless it's used properly, bigger doesn't necessarily mean better. Fantavision suffered because of lack of difficulty, and I'm sure some other DVD games will not use the increases storage for the right reasons (sprawling levels perhaps?).
Thu 22/03/01 at 01:17
The exception to that rule would be the Final Fantasy games, as I am sure Squaresoft will put it to good use. If they can have even more space for the games to be crammed on after what we have seen on normal CD's is shocking to think about!

It will all take them time to Optimise the amount of space on DVD's. If you take a look at the first batch of DVD's when they came out, you would have to flip them over to watch the second half of a film. The reason was not because of lack of space, but because of the lack of optimising!

We are all sitting here wanting to drift off into sleep for a few years for good & decent games, but believe me, it will be well worth it!
Thu 22/03/01 at 10:47
Definitely. Final Fantasy was born to be on DVD ;-).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.