GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Return of The King - A review"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 25/12/03 at 00:06
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Enjoyable.
Not the BEST FILM EVAH!!!!!!! as reviews seem to say.
Two Towers is still my favourite of the 3.
1st one is ok but takes ages for anything to happen. This is ok because Sean Bean dies in slow motion. Although TT is almost ruined by his return in the extended dvd. I cannot watch Sharpe, he angers me.

Things I didn't enjoy about ROTK:
Stupid Gimli comedy moments "That stil only counts as one!" etc.
Legolas's CGI double doing more derring-do damage on elephant things (I dont care what the name for them is, and neither should you. Go out and have sex)
The 35 different "Now I shall fade out. Because it's the end. NO IT ISN'T! HERE'S ANOTHER ENDING!"
Agent Elrond not going mental and killing things
Christopher Lee not being in it. "Oh he's up there, don't worry though because he's powerless and stuff. Quick, let's cut to Frodo looking miserable and almost giving up again"
Midgets crying at the end. Lots.
Sam's hero moment "Get away from him...you slime!!!". There was a distinct lack of applause and "Yeah man!!" from the crowd, unlike Gladiator when Maximus gave his "I'm a husband to a dead fit Spanish bird, father to some wide-eyed poster boy and really, really annoyed" speech.
Saruman. The scariest, monstrous, evil overlord of nasty things. OR, just a big floaty eye. Can't decide.

Things I did enjoy about ROTK:
Gollum. Didn't cross my mind it's a CGI character (shut up Mojo), I just felt pity/anger as if he was a character like everyone else.
The zombie army.
The seige of Gondor - heads being catapulted over the wall etc. Superb.
Shelob's sticky silky threads she jetted onto Frodo's face.
Orcs.
That massive Sloth orc thing.
Gandalf chasing the nazgul away with a torch.
Denethor's fire headwrong finale.

All in all, a good ending to a better-than-I-expected trilogy. There's still that whole pixie thing that makes me think "Hmmmm..." when I watch them, but good job by Peter Jackson and his WETA boys.
I shall get the extended DVD edition and enjoy that.
Fri 26/12/03 at 18:03
Regular
"SOUP!"
you should 'BE', not 'have'

See why I need people to write for me, huh!
Fri 26/12/03 at 18:02
Regular
"SOUP!"
You should have a newspaper columnist Goaty. When I have my own national paper, you will write for me.
Fri 26/12/03 at 17:49
Regular
There was applause in my cinema when I saw it, because it rules. Pelennor beats Helms Deep, it's better as a trilogy than any other, especially Star Wars and the Matrix. Except maybe Indy. I think RotK is the 2nd best, with Fellowship being my favourite because it's the most loyal to the book apart from Xena:Warrior Arwen. Oh, and Sean Bean is one of my favourite actors, and he's superb in Fellowship, Better than Designer Stubble Viggo. Bean should've played Aragorn, my only gripe with that film. And Legolas doesn't do hero stuff like he does in the films. Jackson needs to remember that having cheekbones does not mean you can surf on shields. Two Towers was better than most other films, and the Ents were flawless. I just didn't like the macho elves showing up at Helms Deep with Haldir, for some inexplicable reason, leading them. And having far too much double chin for an elf.

My problems with Return of the King: Panto villian Denethor. In the book, he's noble, he's too wise for Sauron to overwhelm, still tries to defend his city. In the film he's Muahaha-haha-haha type evil at the end. And he still manages to die properly in the books. Not go Wicker Man and jump off Ecthelion.

Aragorn still being a bit too soft with his "commanding" of the Dead.

As with most people, Comedy Gimli.

GI Sam.

Arwen being tied to the Ring and dying if Smith doesn't help Viggo. PAthetic excuse to introduce Narsil at such a late point. Should've been given in Fellowship. Or better yet, give it to Legolas and he can use it as a snowboard when he defeats mountain people.

But I still loved the film. Especially Legolas being smug that he took down an elephant, when we know he's a ponce compared to Eomer who took down two.
Thu 25/12/03 at 21:17
Regular
There was applause in the cinema when I saw it this week. Wasn't like the Americans, who, according the various movies I've seen displaying Americans in cinemas at all, cheer, shout out and ruin film viewing whilst the film is going on - but it was more than I expected for us pompous British types.
Thu 25/12/03 at 15:38
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Goatboy wrote:
> Sam's hero moment "Get away from him...you slime!!!". There
> was a distinct lack of applause and "Yeah man!!" from the
> crowd, unlike Gladiator when Maximus gave his "I'm a husband to
> a dead fit Spanish bird, father to some wide-eyed poster boy and
> really, really annoyed" speech.

I have neither seen or given applause in a cinema. It just doesnt happen up here.
Thu 25/12/03 at 03:56
Regular
"Formally:Ev][L~DarK"
Goatboy wrote:
>"That stil only counts as one!"

If anything, thats the best joke in the film! :D

i infact just watched it today on xmas eve, a nice day to go and watch the best film of the year. And there was parts of the film i felt could be of been, 'better' but overall, I think its a great film! Thank you peter jackson!

It really has been surely made these past two years even more enjoyable to look towards the winter seasons and to tie in with Xmas.

But, I have to remind myself. all 3, has been viewed, and the trilogy has ended. shame :( and its these moments i hope tolkein could of lived longer to write more :D
Thu 25/12/03 at 01:34
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I'll add my two cents worth now, but I did my own review further down the list. It was ace, I really, really liked it. Shows up the Matrix for what it really is - shallow, soul-less special effects movies for the eMpTyV generation. Almost as gay as the Ewoks, but an acceptable level of gayness that only left me walking funny because of the length of time I had to sit in one place for! Enjoyable to watch, even if the "comedy" moments were a bit weak.
Thu 25/12/03 at 01:28
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
It was, quite frankly, the nuts. Best film this year, maybe a tie with Finding Nemo. And yeah, the Denethor shot was great, was was the shot following the big stone slab from the catapult to the ground. There were so many 'stick in your mind' moments, the spider bit being especially creepy.
Thu 25/12/03 at 00:09
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
You won one game, now shush!

I have yet to see a single LOTR film, I have bought them on DVD for my dad for Christmas, (at his request), so no doubt I will watch them soon enough.
Thu 25/12/03 at 00:06
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Enjoyable.
Not the BEST FILM EVAH!!!!!!! as reviews seem to say.
Two Towers is still my favourite of the 3.
1st one is ok but takes ages for anything to happen. This is ok because Sean Bean dies in slow motion. Although TT is almost ruined by his return in the extended dvd. I cannot watch Sharpe, he angers me.

Things I didn't enjoy about ROTK:
Stupid Gimli comedy moments "That stil only counts as one!" etc.
Legolas's CGI double doing more derring-do damage on elephant things (I dont care what the name for them is, and neither should you. Go out and have sex)
The 35 different "Now I shall fade out. Because it's the end. NO IT ISN'T! HERE'S ANOTHER ENDING!"
Agent Elrond not going mental and killing things
Christopher Lee not being in it. "Oh he's up there, don't worry though because he's powerless and stuff. Quick, let's cut to Frodo looking miserable and almost giving up again"
Midgets crying at the end. Lots.
Sam's hero moment "Get away from him...you slime!!!". There was a distinct lack of applause and "Yeah man!!" from the crowd, unlike Gladiator when Maximus gave his "I'm a husband to a dead fit Spanish bird, father to some wide-eyed poster boy and really, really annoyed" speech.
Saruman. The scariest, monstrous, evil overlord of nasty things. OR, just a big floaty eye. Can't decide.

Things I did enjoy about ROTK:
Gollum. Didn't cross my mind it's a CGI character (shut up Mojo), I just felt pity/anger as if he was a character like everyone else.
The zombie army.
The seige of Gondor - heads being catapulted over the wall etc. Superb.
Shelob's sticky silky threads she jetted onto Frodo's face.
Orcs.
That massive Sloth orc thing.
Gandalf chasing the nazgul away with a torch.
Denethor's fire headwrong finale.

All in all, a good ending to a better-than-I-expected trilogy. There's still that whole pixie thing that makes me think "Hmmmm..." when I watch them, but good job by Peter Jackson and his WETA boys.
I shall get the extended DVD edition and enjoy that.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.