GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"ARCADES ARE DEAD!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 19/03/01 at 22:10
Regular
I've been saying it for a long, long time... but arcades are now on the way to dying in their current form.

Sega have already left the hardware side of thing (considering they were the biggest producer of machines, that was a big deal). They have also sold off/franchised many arcades and have even teamed up with enemies in the industry Namco to work together!

But now Capcom have abandonned their arcade boards! They will make new games, be it at a slower rate, but this is even more disasterous!

SonicRav
Wed 21/03/01 at 15:54
Arcades dead?- no way! they're just changing. No longer will you get games you can play games on your home console. But there will be games which get you to use everypart of your body. Games will be a 'ride'. And spud you spelt arcade wrong mate!
Mon 19/03/01 at 23:30
I would disagree with the fact that arecades are dead. I live in London, and we have more arcades here than you can shake a stick at- the largest of which would be the London Trocadero in Picadilly Circus. It has more arcade machines there than you can believe. And where did you hear that Sega were pulling out of arcade hardware development? Thats completely wrong, besides thats where Sega made its name originally was to make arcade games. Also, as console technology gets more and more advanced, I would admit that people will go to arcades less and less but to be honest, whats better: playing eight player Daytona in the arcades using realistic(well sort of) equipment or sitting clumped around a Dreamcast? Id go for the arcade anyday, espically as you can have a great night out doing it. Therefore, there is no way to say that arcades are dead, because many of the games you see on the consoles were originally arcade games- Tekken Tag Tournament, Daytona USA, Time Crisis, Crazi Taxi the list is perhaps endless. If we didnt have arcades, they wouldnt be able to see if the games they produced were any good or not. Would we have the arcade conversion of the Dancing Stage if it wasnt for the arcades? We wouldnt full stop. Arcades may be dead in 10 years, maybe five, but they are certainly alive and kicking right now.
Mon 19/03/01 at 23:12
"possibly impossible"
I'm quite lucky to live in a town with 2 arcades. OK, so they may not be totally up to date (the most recent machine in was Jurrasic Park!) but it's fun to be in an Arcade atmosphere.

Mind you, there seems to be a world of difference between city style 18+ arcades and the kind that populate seaside resorts everywhere. There's something about the mix of sand, salt and small children blowing bad guys away on Virtua Cop that makes me feel good. I love the summer, when there is always someone willing to race against you in a two seater Sega Rally arcade (yep, we've got one of those too) and what better way is there to get rid of all those unwanted 2p pieces than to use them on those great little machines that churn out another 50 of the things if you get the timing right!

Arcade will stay with us, whether as a modern form of entertainment or just a sideshow that compliments the whole seaside experience.
Mon 19/03/01 at 22:53
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Whoa! Arcades are far from dead, they are doing great, haven't you seen that new biking type game from Sega?!. It looks great. It is a mixture of CT and JSR. The cartoony graphics and gameplay look fantastic.

And...more and more companies nowadays aren't just using the control pads or even guns...there are boxing games, dancing games, body movement sensors. Arcade gaming has never been so alive. The peripherals, for lack of a better word, are amazing!

Sega are really getting into the arcades, just because no-one will buy a £200 peripheral for home doesn't mean they wont have a £1 a go in an arcade. That new Karting game looks fun, and there are more shoot 'em ups than ever, which is what people seem to like in arcades.

I am not an arcade know-it-all, but I can tell you you won't be bored next time you take a trip down to brighton pier! Arcades have a future and by the looks of the innovation and games Sega do too!
Mon 19/03/01 at 22:34
"Uzi Lover"
Could this be another loss of social gaming?
Mon 19/03/01 at 22:13
Regular
arcades will never dissapear though surly?
Mon 19/03/01 at 22:13
Regular
"You've upset me"
Unfortunatly you're right.

I love arcades not only as a great place to play games but as a social venue aswell, Oh well, the end of an era, but everything dies in the end.

Apart from.... (finish this sentence in under 15 words)
Mon 19/03/01 at 22:10
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
I've been saying it for a long, long time... but arcades are now on the way to dying in their current form.

Sega have already left the hardware side of thing (considering they were the biggest producer of machines, that was a big deal). They have also sold off/franchised many arcades and have even teamed up with enemies in the industry Namco to work together!

But now Capcom have abandonned their arcade boards! They will make new games, be it at a slower rate, but this is even more disasterous!

SonicRav

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.