GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Work's Christmas Party, last night..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 24/12/03 at 11:13
Regular
"Long time no see!"
As you should be able to guess from the title, this is going to be about how my work's annual Christmas "Do" went last night, and how I did enjoy it. You may or may not be interested; but, to my surprise, there don't appear to be `too many´ others on these forums who have been willing to share their experiences during the season of goodwill... What's wrong with you people!? Surely some of you have been having a good time like I did...??

Anyway....

It all started with me struggling for a lift to get there. I phoned-around sort of last-minute on Monday, but was still struggling after discovering that the one-person I'd like to go with more than anyone (a ``female friend´´, of course!) didn't know exactly how they would be getting there, either! But she still helped me out, and in the end, it was the local ``Village Idiot´´ (literally!) who was going to get me there. And he did.

Now, he told me before-hand that he wasn't a `great´ driver and he didn't exactly know where the place was either; but he still managed to surprise me...
So, we're driving along; nearly there; lost; still with plenty of time to get there; on a long, straight, open road with very little traffic flowing; and then, *FLASH! FLASH!*, there goes a speed camera!
It was well sign-posted; we weren't in any kind of rush (if anything, he should've been going slower, since we were, sort of, "lost"); and yet, he still sees it right to do 42 in a 30mph residential area and get caught by one of the most obvious "money-makers" you are likely to come across in your years as a driver (even if it was on the other side of the road)! Muppet! :D

So, we did find the place thanks to some simple-but-hard-to-understand directions from a random Irish-bloke (who was probably drunk at 7:45pm, yes!), met some people there, got sorted, "bla bla bla".... And then it was the usual sat around a table with a 3-course meal and all that before the ever-inevitable (yet, somehow, always "enjoyable") disco and drinks, drinks and more drinks... And that's when it really started to get good.

Now, I'm not normally the type of person to drink more than one pint in the same night, but given the occasion, you can't really say `No´ when everyone else is, can you. But once I'd had one (Grolsch was my flavour-of-the-night, this time), I wanted more. And so, came another, and another, and some more genorously given to me from me mate and then (when I was thinking about calling it a night), our manager randomly bought me one, out-of-the-blue (like he does to everyone).
I only had four-or-five pints (I honestly can't remember the `exact´ number...), and yes, it did "affect" me, being an "irregular" drinker; but even though I was starting to feel a little un-co-ordinated and like I was going to fall-over a make a fool of myself, sooner-or-later, I felt really `good´, more relaxed, and seemed to enjoy myself more.

But, of course, I was by no-means the worst of the lot (no way!!). SO-many people had SO-much to drink. The idiots the made of themselves on the dance-floor (especially our manager! ;D ); the things some said that they'd regret if their wives/girlfriends found-out; the absolute-nonsese some of the most normal people starting saying to me.... I suppose that was what made it so good; knowing that, for once, I couldn't be on the wrong-end of as-such a "memorable" joke. :)
I'm still amazed no-one fell over; although, I nearly did, going to the toilet, for the hundred-and-fifteenth time. ;o And the waiter dropping the plates - right, smack-bang, in the middle of the room - as much as you can feel sorry for someone in a situation like that, it made great entertainment!! "WAA'EEEYYYY!!!" ;D

People getting drunk though... I still don't quite understand it.
Obviously, "Regulars" can `take-it´ a lot better than others, like myself. But although it does loosen you up, and you just do not care anymore (...) , I still can't really see why people want to risk it all, before-hand, never-knowing what could happen. Alright, it's good on the right occasion; but what about people who do it week-in, week-out?

And those blinding lights, along with the thumping music, didn't seem to help, either. I thought my drink was about to jump off the table!

The night went on, and on, and on ('til we left at about half-twelve). And some apparently went Clubbing - now, that really makes no-sense to me!! And by that time, I was really starting to feel bad. I wasn't completely "rat-arrssed", but I had that familiar feeling of being weak and `numb´; when even the smallest of maggots could knock you down with a feather. Just GETTING-UP to go to the toilet is bad-enough - especially when I was needing it, like, every-10-minutes! :S
And when someone talks to you... It's like your locked-away inside one of those spinning spheres, encased in a bubble, or something...!
Heh. I remember one-guy coming in when I was having a pee, and suddenly, somone let-rip in one of the cubicals. Farting is always a funny thing, but - like all things - it's even better when you're almost leg-less! You could even hear him laughing about it, in embarressment! :)

Back to the ride home... Everything seemed alright. The fact that a contact-lense had somehow fallen-out of the right-eye - disrupting my vision further! - only made me feel I was worse than I was; but I clearly wasn't as bad as the Muppet driving....
He'd still only had two-or-three pints, but even then, I don't know how even HE managed to make a right-turn BACK the way we'd just come; away from home!
`...Where the fock are we???´ `Going the wrong-way, you Muppet!!´
And because of his common idiocy, a 20-minute drive lasted the best-part of an hour! And even on the way home it got worse (for him, anyway!). "...What's that noise? 'E's not bein' sick, is 'e?!?" So, we pull-over, and there he is, next to me, covered in chunks with it covering the back of the car, too (luckily, not me, though! :D ).
It was too hard NOT to laugh! :D

"It was the fish!!" "Yes, Dan.... Nothing to do with the endless pints of Carling you were knocking back!" :D

Got home about half-one, and staggered through the front-door (almost walking straight into a hedge, would you believe!). Apparently, I left the door wide-open, too, as I went straight to bed, laughing, after what, I feel, was a great night-out - something I have dearly been missing for a while now.

Didn't like waking-up this morning, though. I hate how dry your mouth feels when you first get-up! Sod the minor headache, I just hate that taste!
But I haven't felt sick, once. I even woke-up at dead-on 6, and just lay there thinking about everything that had gone-on, and how great it all was. Especially the one girl I like, who, after smiling at me from across the room; I could swear she also kept looking-over at me, from time-to-time. We only had a quick natter, nothing that-special. But I will be staying in-contact with her over Christmas, now I have her mobile number! ;D It was a brilliant night. 3 cups-of-tea and two paracetamols later, and I feel fine, after getting-up at half-seven [it's all about "controlling yourself" under the influence of alchohol, I have also discovered]. I'm certain many others will be feeling much-worse, because they let themselves go, too far.

But I've got that bloody Justin "Trouserworm" song, `Seniorita´, stuck in my head, still.... "Gentlemen; goodnight. And laydeez..... `BOOGER OFF!!´"

Okay, so I may have waffled-on a bit-too-far, "once again". But hey, that's just me, on-line. The point is, Christmas is one of the best times of the year for enjoying yourself and getting within the true Christmas Spirit. Sod all the present-giving and all that; I still believe - and think this sort-of "proves" - being anything but alone is what Christmas is really all-about. You've just GOT to have fun; get around to see people and not let your oppurtunities pass.

So, go out there and enjoy the rest of your Christmas and the rest of 2003!
I've had a pretty cack year, really; but this is the perfect time to just forget about it all and enjoy all you do have available to you. Plus I've learnt how to Control my drink, too. :)

Have a Merry Christmas, everybody! :)
Wed 24/12/03 at 13:09
Regular
Solskjær wrote:
> Well, you give me Italics and all will change, "Master"!
>
> :P

heh
Wed 24/12/03 at 13:08
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Well, you give me Italics and all will change, "Master"!

:P
Wed 24/12/03 at 13:02
Regular
Solskjær wrote:
> Because each of these words could have many different meanings.
>
> You see, an example of a "weaker beer" is going to be
> another make other than Grolsch (maybe Kronenburg or something; I
> don't know).
>
> And as for "occasions", there are also all-sorts of ways to
> define that. Christmas, New Year's Eve, Birthday's... The list goes
> on.

No offence but you arguement makes no "sense".

sense was highlighted because there are many meanings to the word sense.
Confused? So am I.

The two uses for quotes, are when you are quite literally quoting something someone said, e.g. : My mate said "How are you doing?"

The other use is when you are trying to show that you are questioning the validity of the word in quotes. For example :

The "play" was a total farce.
Wed 24/12/03 at 12:58
Regular
Jive wrote:
> Plus I wouldn't even get in a car with someone who I knew had had too
> much to drink, especially at this time of year.
>
> Solskjar probably isn't / wasn't aware of how much his
> "village-idiot" friend had had to drink

look what you wrote above! isn't/wasn't aware?

And name calling is the last refuge of he/she with a poor arguement.
Wed 24/12/03 at 12:56
Regular
"Long time no see!"
ßora† SagdiyeV wrote:
"why did you highlight the words 'weaker' and 'occasions'. ??"
-----

Because each of these words could have many different meanings.

You see, an example of a "weaker beer" is going to be another make other than Grolsch (maybe Kronenburg or something; I don't know).

And as for "occasions", there are also all-sorts of ways to define that. Christmas, New Year's Eve, Birthday's... The list goes on.

Okay?

This is a simple lesson in understanding `how´ my Mind works and `why´ I decide to highlight "key-words" in the way that I do. :)
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
ßora† SagdiyeV wrote:
> where did you get 2-3 pints from?

Now go and re-read Solskjar original post, all the way through, he's said it in there you idiot.

Now I'm off to have a quite a few beers, I drove my car in this morning but it's now parked up at home thanks to someone driving it home for me.

I wont be stepping in it till after Boxing day when I'm sober.

Have a good Christmas, I enjoyed my Christmas Party the other night, lots of people drunk and throwing up in the toilets and coaches which were laid on free for people to get home and not have to worry about drinking and driving.

Have a good and safe one to all!
Regular
you see, it is 'illegal' to dazzle drivers with 'blinding' flashes. for rather obvious reasons.
Wed 24/12/03 at 12:54
Regular
No No No, they ONLY flash motorists on ONE side of the road. they can only gauge speed of cars travelling away from them. Some newer ones, on the motorway, work the other way round, but normal roadside ones are only for the side of the road they are on. I assure you.
Wed 24/12/03 at 12:52
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Ah. But when he got `flashed´ by the speed camera - and I reckon I will be in the picture also, since I was looking at the camera... `waiting´ for the inevitable - he hadn't had a single drink. He didn't have his "two-or-three pints" until we got there.

And as for speed cameras that only pick-up speeders on the same-side of the road; what we be the point in that?? The Goverment (or whoever) would surely miss-out on THOUSANDS, due to speeders getting-away with it.
Wed 24/12/03 at 12:47
Regular
why did you highlight the words 'weaker' and 'occasions'. ??

:S

Grolsch is stronger than your average lager yes, and a good one at that.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.