GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What will happen to Gaming?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 19/03/01 at 20:05
Regular
I don't think it's possible that the gaming industry will stay like it is right now for a very long way into the future. If you think about it, PCs and Consoles are in very fierce competition right now, which isn't always fair on the consumer (i.e. games will only run on one platform). Although this can mean an improvement in the quality of games, it cannot go on indefinately. Either consoles (probably only one or two varieties) or the PC, or something else, will eventually prevail.

The PC seems to be a slowly declining market. These days, most good releases for the PC are strategy games, and even those are now being ported very quickly onto consoles.

At the moment, the console industry seems to be growing, but if you think about it, it is still a pain. There are several consoles to choose from, and most games are only released on one or two of them. Setting up the consoles (especially if you've got more than one) usually means having loads of wires running around the room that you're playing in. So here comes the final possibilty, which I think, in the very long run, will be the one which becomes the norm.

In the last few months, we have seen Sega essentially drop out of the console market due to fierce competition from Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo. And what was announced for the future of the company? One of the main things was putting their technology into set-top boxes, and introducing gaming to a larger proportion of the population. So this is where I think everything is heading. In years to come, rather than having a television, DVD player, Console(s), and PC, we will have a device that can serve as all of them. It could attach to a telivision, and allow you to play games, watch movies, browse the internet, and perform multi-tasking. This would mean that you could do several of these things at the same time. In terms of the technology, it would be like a PC, it could be upgraded. However, unlike a PC, the upgrading would be very simple; you could just replace a part of the device, which could be sent for recycling. The part replaced would include RAM, processor, and video card, so there would be no problem with compatibility.

So what do you think? Is that a good idea? Well, in theory it would make life a whole lot easier, but whether or not it is really possible in the foreseeable future is yet to be seem. In the past, integration facilities (like this), such as televisions and VHS players have usually been unpopular because they offer bad value on all fronts; the device is ugly and awkward, and the technology included is inferior to technology available induvidually. Still, something will have to happen at some point in the future, and this seems as likely as any posssibility.
Mon 19/03/01 at 20:05
Regular
I don't think it's possible that the gaming industry will stay like it is right now for a very long way into the future. If you think about it, PCs and Consoles are in very fierce competition right now, which isn't always fair on the consumer (i.e. games will only run on one platform). Although this can mean an improvement in the quality of games, it cannot go on indefinately. Either consoles (probably only one or two varieties) or the PC, or something else, will eventually prevail.

The PC seems to be a slowly declining market. These days, most good releases for the PC are strategy games, and even those are now being ported very quickly onto consoles.

At the moment, the console industry seems to be growing, but if you think about it, it is still a pain. There are several consoles to choose from, and most games are only released on one or two of them. Setting up the consoles (especially if you've got more than one) usually means having loads of wires running around the room that you're playing in. So here comes the final possibilty, which I think, in the very long run, will be the one which becomes the norm.

In the last few months, we have seen Sega essentially drop out of the console market due to fierce competition from Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo. And what was announced for the future of the company? One of the main things was putting their technology into set-top boxes, and introducing gaming to a larger proportion of the population. So this is where I think everything is heading. In years to come, rather than having a television, DVD player, Console(s), and PC, we will have a device that can serve as all of them. It could attach to a telivision, and allow you to play games, watch movies, browse the internet, and perform multi-tasking. This would mean that you could do several of these things at the same time. In terms of the technology, it would be like a PC, it could be upgraded. However, unlike a PC, the upgrading would be very simple; you could just replace a part of the device, which could be sent for recycling. The part replaced would include RAM, processor, and video card, so there would be no problem with compatibility.

So what do you think? Is that a good idea? Well, in theory it would make life a whole lot easier, but whether or not it is really possible in the foreseeable future is yet to be seem. In the past, integration facilities (like this), such as televisions and VHS players have usually been unpopular because they offer bad value on all fronts; the device is ugly and awkward, and the technology included is inferior to technology available induvidually. Still, something will have to happen at some point in the future, and this seems as likely as any posssibility.
Mon 19/03/01 at 20:35
Regular
"everyone says it"
get rid of Dans topic post, ignore.
Mon 19/03/01 at 20:39
is dat copied?
Mon 19/03/01 at 20:42
Regular
Is what copied? If you mean my contribution then NO, of course not! What I have written was gained from my own brain cells! (hey, where are they? :-) )
Tue 20/03/01 at 00:01
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I don't think there is any point worrying about the Future of Gaming. It will take the path it takes and there isn't a lot we can do about it. One thing is for sure it will be exciting, GBA, MGS2, Shenmue 2, Gamecube X-Box, Christmas Sales, Release Dates, Conker...E3!!!! Enough said, we can all take a guess at what will happen, some may know more than others but on thing is for sure, it will be great!
Tue 20/03/01 at 18:21
Regular
Hang on...this forum IS meant to be called "The Future of Gaming"! Why don't they rename it to "Talk about anything game related" if you're going to say I shouldn't be talking about the future of gaming?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.