GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Resident Evil 4"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition'.
Wed 29/07/09 at 11:57
Regular
"How Ironic"
The classic arcade game, right in your very home! Obviously Resident Evil 4 has never been in an arcade, but the earlier Resident Evil game machines took many pounds off many teenagers. The classic pink and blue guns that would slaughter zombies, with graphics that an N64 would laugh at. You’d have to keep putting money in when you died, so if you were rich, you could complete the game.

The game was released on the Gamecube, Playstation 2, PC and Wii. I’m going to talk about the Wii version, as it’s the one I’ve got, and is the only ‘proper’ original arcade style version. You play as Leon Kennedy, a special agent for the US government, sent to find Ashley Graham, the presidents daughter. How a load of zombies got hold of the president’s daughter, I do not know (perhaps a school field trip to ‘Zombieville’ or something ludicrous). We’ll let them off though, as Resident Evil is all about the cheesy story line.

We all know the true story of the game has nothing to do with saving some girl from zombies, and making the president very grateful. It’s all about blowing zombie’s heads off! And boy, will your desires be filled. The zombies in Resident Evil 4 are referred to as ‘Los Ganados’, but deep down, they’re still your regular everyday zombies. There are loads of zombies creeping about in each mission, and unless you get a clear shot at their head, they’ll take a beating. Zombies have got cleverer through the generations of Resident Evil games. They’ve learned the whole ‘walk slowly towards player one’ tactic doesn’t work. So guess what, zombies can sprint towards you, some will throw axes at you (the first time I played I never knew this, and a woman threw a cleaver right at my head) and there’s even the Resident Evil 4 trademark chainsaw guys. Even scarier is the fact that zombies can communicate, so if one sees you, you’ve got no chance.

“He’s got a bag on his head! This will be too easy… He’s got a chainsaw! Run!”

The most exciting part for me is getting the zombies to see me, and then hiding in a hut. Sure you can lock the door, but they’ll literally climb all over your little HQ. They’ll get through gaps in the roof, through the windows and eventually break the door down, so don’t hide their all day…

Graphically, this game is beautiful, in the sense of lovely blood effects spewing from a headless corpse and bullets whizzing through undead arms and legs. For the Wii, it is outstanding what the game has achieved. The sounds are terrifyingly terrific, with suspense lingered until the very last moment, before a zombie appears from absolutely nowhere.

“What are you buying? Thank you stranger”

Yep, the freaky hooded guy is back, with his selection of weaponry. You’ll find him in different places throughout the mission. Again, unlikely that a strange man would wander through a zombie infested forest, trying to sell weapons.

Interaction plays a part in the game, with Leon kicking down doors and ladders, climbing through windows, and dodging enemy attacks. The biggest interaction part of the game are the cut scenes. You experience your first interactive cut scene at the start of the game, with a rock rolling down a hill behind you. First you must shake your Wii remote to runaway from the rock, so yes, you actually put effort in to keep yourself alive! Then you get a split-second to jump out of the path of the rock. You fail (most people do the first time-like me), then it’s game over straight away. You’ll have to redo it again.

Inventory plays a major part in the game. No weapons, and you’ve got no chance. The inventory is sorted out using a grid, and each item takes up a certain amount of space in your grid. You can upgrade your grid space so that later on in the game, you can carry more items, which will definitely come in handy.

Overall, the game is a classic addition to the Resident Evil series, with old elements being combined with modern styles. The game is certainly a must buy for FPS fans, and although the primary task of zombie killing is a bit repetitive, the zombies will keep you on your feet. Just make sure they don’t keep you off your feet and kill you…

Game Rating: 7/10
Wed 29/07/09 at 11:57
Regular
"How Ironic"
The classic arcade game, right in your very home! Obviously Resident Evil 4 has never been in an arcade, but the earlier Resident Evil game machines took many pounds off many teenagers. The classic pink and blue guns that would slaughter zombies, with graphics that an N64 would laugh at. You’d have to keep putting money in when you died, so if you were rich, you could complete the game.

The game was released on the Gamecube, Playstation 2, PC and Wii. I’m going to talk about the Wii version, as it’s the one I’ve got, and is the only ‘proper’ original arcade style version. You play as Leon Kennedy, a special agent for the US government, sent to find Ashley Graham, the presidents daughter. How a load of zombies got hold of the president’s daughter, I do not know (perhaps a school field trip to ‘Zombieville’ or something ludicrous). We’ll let them off though, as Resident Evil is all about the cheesy story line.

We all know the true story of the game has nothing to do with saving some girl from zombies, and making the president very grateful. It’s all about blowing zombie’s heads off! And boy, will your desires be filled. The zombies in Resident Evil 4 are referred to as ‘Los Ganados’, but deep down, they’re still your regular everyday zombies. There are loads of zombies creeping about in each mission, and unless you get a clear shot at their head, they’ll take a beating. Zombies have got cleverer through the generations of Resident Evil games. They’ve learned the whole ‘walk slowly towards player one’ tactic doesn’t work. So guess what, zombies can sprint towards you, some will throw axes at you (the first time I played I never knew this, and a woman threw a cleaver right at my head) and there’s even the Resident Evil 4 trademark chainsaw guys. Even scarier is the fact that zombies can communicate, so if one sees you, you’ve got no chance.

“He’s got a bag on his head! This will be too easy… He’s got a chainsaw! Run!”

The most exciting part for me is getting the zombies to see me, and then hiding in a hut. Sure you can lock the door, but they’ll literally climb all over your little HQ. They’ll get through gaps in the roof, through the windows and eventually break the door down, so don’t hide their all day…

Graphically, this game is beautiful, in the sense of lovely blood effects spewing from a headless corpse and bullets whizzing through undead arms and legs. For the Wii, it is outstanding what the game has achieved. The sounds are terrifyingly terrific, with suspense lingered until the very last moment, before a zombie appears from absolutely nowhere.

“What are you buying? Thank you stranger”

Yep, the freaky hooded guy is back, with his selection of weaponry. You’ll find him in different places throughout the mission. Again, unlikely that a strange man would wander through a zombie infested forest, trying to sell weapons.

Interaction plays a part in the game, with Leon kicking down doors and ladders, climbing through windows, and dodging enemy attacks. The biggest interaction part of the game are the cut scenes. You experience your first interactive cut scene at the start of the game, with a rock rolling down a hill behind you. First you must shake your Wii remote to runaway from the rock, so yes, you actually put effort in to keep yourself alive! Then you get a split-second to jump out of the path of the rock. You fail (most people do the first time-like me), then it’s game over straight away. You’ll have to redo it again.

Inventory plays a major part in the game. No weapons, and you’ve got no chance. The inventory is sorted out using a grid, and each item takes up a certain amount of space in your grid. You can upgrade your grid space so that later on in the game, you can carry more items, which will definitely come in handy.

Overall, the game is a classic addition to the Resident Evil series, with old elements being combined with modern styles. The game is certainly a must buy for FPS fans, and although the primary task of zombie killing is a bit repetitive, the zombies will keep you on your feet. Just make sure they don’t keep you off your feet and kill you…

Game Rating: 7/10
Sat 01/08/09 at 10:28
Regular
Hi chris, how you win so easy?
Sat 01/08/09 at 18:39
Regular
"How Ironic"
I didn't win easy. I spent the whole day doing reviews.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.