GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Battlefield 1943- Xbox 360"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Battlefield 1943'.
Mon 27/07/09 at 08:07
Regular
"THFC"
[GAME] Battlefield 1943 – Xbox 360

Battlefield was the FPS that ignited my love for the genre and Online play, with Battlefield 2 on the PC taking hours of my life in one of the most rewarding ways. I spent most the free time I had fixed to my PC, enjoying every aspect it had and trying to get all the awards I could. Battlefield Bad Company was also one of my favourite games, the fully destructible environment was brilliant and so were the vehicles. It was a good change from COD4.

So after finding out Battlefield 1943 was available for download on Xbox Live, I was straight on there ready to spend £10 for a fully online game. So what does your £10 get you, well as mentioned it is a fully online game, with 3 maps, 3 classes and the classic flag capture game mode. Being set in 1943 the equipment is older than people are used to in more recent modern warfare games. But I have to say this made no difference to me as they still worked in the game and you actually forget you are playing a WW2 game. The graphics remind me more of a PC game, I still think they are great and with the maps being a good size and destructible environments still in there, I think it is as good as Bad Company or better for graphics. One of the best additions in my opinion is........PLANES! Something I loved in Battlefield 2 but then no FPS I have played since has had them in. Well now you get to hop into a plane and cause havoc (or crash badly losing 10 points for suicide like I did the first 5 times!)

Now £10 is not much money for all of that, along with some fun achievements to grab and the classic awards for completing in game challenges, like Capture 5 flags in one game or melee 4 people (this becomes all the more fun when being a scout as they have swords!)

But there is also a nice little “sub game” I suppose you would call it, called Air Superiority. Based on one map you all have to take flight and have some good old fashioned Dog Fights in the skies, taking down enemy planes and eliminating the opponents score. This is a great way to get your wings and improve your effectiveness in the main game! So 2 games for £10, can’t think of a better deal.

So far I have enjoyed every aspect of the game and the loading times are quick, I have never been kicked off a game, I wait about 10 seconds to find a match. It looks like EA have improved the servers and that side since Battlefield Bad Company, which is great news. Maybe there could be more maps, some unlocks for levelling up, but it is new and only £10 so you would have to assume there will be DLC for this, with all this in and more. I for one will be downloading any update they throw in soon.

The controls are standard FPS; the planes are a different matter and can be a bit tricky to get the hang of, but after a few goes you will think your Maverick! There is no ability to lay flat (like in Bad Company) but this is no major flaw in the game, it is more than likely used to prevent snipers having an advantage.

So in my opinion, it is one of the best FPS’s I have played and the cheapest! If you’re a Battlefield fan, a FPS fan, or looking for an online game that’s quick and fun to play, then this is the one for you. Only 530mb so leaves plenty of space on our precious hard drives, and what more can I say other than I hope to see you on there soon. Enlist for Duty now!
9/10
Tue 28/07/09 at 08:11
Regular
"THFC"
Battlefield Bad Company did a similair thing before it was released, and you earnt the different guns, a system i really liked.

I agree it does not push the boundaries, but i think due to it reminding me of Battlefield 2 it instantly stole my heart. I doubt i will be on it for long, but it was worth the tenner for me.
Tue 28/07/09 at 08:03
Regular
"I like turtles"
Emmie87 wrote:

What was it you were not so happy with?

Thought it was OK,there was nothing broken.Its just I've personally enjoyed other FPS's more (COD 2&4,UT3).Thought the gameplay area was a little on large side,seemed to have periods where I was running around on my own.Can see the attraction for sure and i'm glad I tried it,its just personally its not a game I would buy.Saying this I didn't like Halo 3 much either and loads of people love that.Did think the ability to try the full game for half an hour instead of the usual restrictive demo was really good.Hope other games do this in the future.
Tue 28/07/09 at 07:34
Regular
"THFC"
What was it you were not so happy with? I am still enjoying a few online games a night between Tiger Woods. But i have downloaded splosion man and Monkey Island demo's to see what they are like.
Mon 27/07/09 at 20:20
Regular
"I like turtles"
Just to let everyone know.If you download the trial version from Xbox live (presume PSN as well ?) You can play the full game for 30 minutes before you have to pay for it.Tried it earlier this evening,the game didn't really blow me away TBH but it was much better being able to play a full version of a game than a demo.
Mon 27/07/09 at 14:32
Regular
"THFC"
Let me know if you do, it does remind me of Battlefield 2 (and they were happy times lol)
Mon 27/07/09 at 14:27
Regular
"How Ironic"
Great review Emmie :D Used to play Battlefield 2, but only because my PC couldn't handle CoD 4 at the time. Just play CoD on the Xbox instead now. May give this a look.
Mon 27/07/09 at 09:02
Regular
"THFC"
Thanks - if there is a demo then try it out. I have enjoyed it and played it most the weekend, think i have al but 3 of the achievements lol, it is the "one more game" syndrome, and that makes a game great!
Mon 27/07/09 at 08:32
Regular
"I like turtles"
Good review mate.

I've been meaning to try this since it turned up a couple of weeks ago,sounds fun.Wasn't a huge fan of Bad Company if I'm honest but I seem to remember it coming out around the same time as loads of other FPS's.Think there is an online playable demo available for this,have to give it a go.
Mon 27/07/09 at 08:07
Regular
"THFC"
[GAME] Battlefield 1943 – Xbox 360

Battlefield was the FPS that ignited my love for the genre and Online play, with Battlefield 2 on the PC taking hours of my life in one of the most rewarding ways. I spent most the free time I had fixed to my PC, enjoying every aspect it had and trying to get all the awards I could. Battlefield Bad Company was also one of my favourite games, the fully destructible environment was brilliant and so were the vehicles. It was a good change from COD4.

So after finding out Battlefield 1943 was available for download on Xbox Live, I was straight on there ready to spend £10 for a fully online game. So what does your £10 get you, well as mentioned it is a fully online game, with 3 maps, 3 classes and the classic flag capture game mode. Being set in 1943 the equipment is older than people are used to in more recent modern warfare games. But I have to say this made no difference to me as they still worked in the game and you actually forget you are playing a WW2 game. The graphics remind me more of a PC game, I still think they are great and with the maps being a good size and destructible environments still in there, I think it is as good as Bad Company or better for graphics. One of the best additions in my opinion is........PLANES! Something I loved in Battlefield 2 but then no FPS I have played since has had them in. Well now you get to hop into a plane and cause havoc (or crash badly losing 10 points for suicide like I did the first 5 times!)

Now £10 is not much money for all of that, along with some fun achievements to grab and the classic awards for completing in game challenges, like Capture 5 flags in one game or melee 4 people (this becomes all the more fun when being a scout as they have swords!)

But there is also a nice little “sub game” I suppose you would call it, called Air Superiority. Based on one map you all have to take flight and have some good old fashioned Dog Fights in the skies, taking down enemy planes and eliminating the opponents score. This is a great way to get your wings and improve your effectiveness in the main game! So 2 games for £10, can’t think of a better deal.

So far I have enjoyed every aspect of the game and the loading times are quick, I have never been kicked off a game, I wait about 10 seconds to find a match. It looks like EA have improved the servers and that side since Battlefield Bad Company, which is great news. Maybe there could be more maps, some unlocks for levelling up, but it is new and only £10 so you would have to assume there will be DLC for this, with all this in and more. I for one will be downloading any update they throw in soon.

The controls are standard FPS; the planes are a different matter and can be a bit tricky to get the hang of, but after a few goes you will think your Maverick! There is no ability to lay flat (like in Bad Company) but this is no major flaw in the game, it is more than likely used to prevent snipers having an advantage.

So in my opinion, it is one of the best FPS’s I have played and the cheapest! If you’re a Battlefield fan, a FPS fan, or looking for an online game that’s quick and fun to play, then this is the one for you. Only 530mb so leaves plenty of space on our precious hard drives, and what more can I say other than I hope to see you on there soon. Enlist for Duty now!
9/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.