GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Need a bloody AVI player"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 19/12/03 at 12:19
Regular
"SOUP!"
I have a few episodes of malcolm in the middle but I have no means of playing them. They wont open in media player or my divX player, despite the files been avi's and divX saying they support avi's. I can get it to play the sound of the files but not the video! GRR.

I tried to download the apple Quicktime player (specifically for AVI's) but I downloaded it and it was the iTunes player instead!

WHAT!
Fri 19/12/03 at 12:19
Regular
"SOUP!"
I have a few episodes of malcolm in the middle but I have no means of playing them. They wont open in media player or my divX player, despite the files been avi's and divX saying they support avi's. I can get it to play the sound of the files but not the video! GRR.

I tried to download the apple Quicktime player (specifically for AVI's) but I downloaded it and it was the iTunes player instead!

WHAT!
Fri 19/12/03 at 12:20
Regular
"SOUP!"
Ahh, downloads.com is the Daddy!
Fri 19/12/03 at 16:06
Regular
"I'm not a noob :"
You want www.quicktime.com
and download the quicktime player, that supports Avi.
Fri 19/12/03 at 16:06
Regular
"I'm not a noob :"
how stupid was that, It didn't register what you wrote but it mkes sense now. Don't listen to me.
Fri 19/12/03 at 17:30
Regular
"SOUP!"
I got quicktime 6, didnt work.

*annoyed*
Fri 19/12/03 at 17:34
Regular
"the burning sky"
Paradox wrote:
> I got quicktime 6, didnt work.
>
> *annoyed*

There's something call "windows media toolkit", which allows you to play those type of AVI's in Media player, try searching on google there should be a fair few results....
Fri 19/12/03 at 17:39
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
If the sound plays but there is no visual then you need a codec to display the image.
With the DivX player I am sure you can get them from the site.

If you downloaded them in a dodgy manner they may not be complete - the reason for no visuals but would try the codecs first.
Fri 19/12/03 at 17:42
Regular
"the burning sky"
AliBoy wrote:
> If the sound plays but there is no visual then you need a codec to
> display the image.
> With the DivX player I am sure you can get them from the site.
>
> If you downloaded them in a dodgy manner they may not be complete -
> the reason for no visuals but would try the codecs first.

Yeah thats what Windows Toolkit does, it adds the codec needed for certain AVI files, its just that Microsoft took it out, cus it was a popular format for illegal copies of videos and whatnot...
Fri 19/12/03 at 17:58
Regular
"SOUP!"
I'm getting a load of results from microsoft but I dont think it's the same thing. Know any sites I am likely to get it from?
Fri 19/12/03 at 23:16
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
What happens when you try to play them? As sometimes AVIs can get corupt and the indexing goes all wrong meaning they won't play at all with the player giving an error. A quick rebuild of the file with a AVI fixer and it should sort it out, if these files have the problem. If not download latest DivX drivers, Xvid or whatever, actually do that first if you havent got the latest ones.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.