GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"SEO Help"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 23/07/09 at 14:00
Regular
"THFC"
As some of you might know i have recently moved jobs, i now have my own Media Company and we are currently only working with one client but now i am back from Holiday we are looking to expand.

I work with my Dad and our strengths are more the script writing, sales aspect and things like Radio & TV - now i know some web bits and pieces but no where near enough.

We out source all our web work to a company who host the sites of our clients and do all the Search Engine Optimization, or Pay Per Click Campaigns. Plus any ammendments we might need etc etc.

Now SEO is becoming more and more popular from what i have seen and we figured it would make sense to get someone in to be our "Web Guy" so he does all this for us. As we can control it easier and actually know how much time is being spent on what. So to anyone who knows about this could you answer the following please....

How much work needs to be done a week to keep a company near the top of google. Like top 5 (i am talking about searching with things like - Double Glazing Essex, Conservatories Suffolk - not very common things like Dog or Sony as i assume this makes it easier?)

How much would a good SEO / Web person cost a company a year?

How difficult is it to learn the basics to cover them while they are away.

These are a few questions we have got and i figured as some of you are pretty good with computers it is a good place to ask!

Thanks and hope to hear back soon
Wed 29/07/09 at 12:43
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
I found a simple SEO checklist that you might find useful:
http://www.insideforty.com/1062/seo-for-the-average-joe/
Tue 28/07/09 at 12:11
Regular
As a complete newbie I was advised to buy this book

Getting noticed on Google by Ben Norman, with the help from the guys on this forum although my site is not the best in the world I have managed to place it from number 30 odd to number one on google for most of the search terms I am after.

I have to say I did have alot of help from this forum so perhaps look back at my pleading posts ! and buy the book !

I know I have loads to learn and things change !
Fri 24/07/09 at 08:03
Regular
"THFC"
Thanks for all your help guys. It has been good to hear what you all say.

I will continue my research and hopefully it can all be resolved soon!
Fri 24/07/09 at 03:39
Regular
"wheres the Any Key?"
If your interest in learning more about SEO then i recommend investing in Search Engine Optimization for Dummies.
Fri 24/07/09 at 03:34
Regular
"wheres the Any Key?"
Meta tags have never been a guaranteed way to gain a top ranking on crawler-based search engines but is a great place to start. they offer the web site owner the ability to control how their web pages are described by some search engines. They can also stop pages from being indexed at all.
Thu 23/07/09 at 16:45
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
Pay someone who has proven results and ask to speak to several of their past clients to see what their track record is like. Some SEO guys like being hired in a freelance way, or part time to do a few hours a week on a site.

The SEO field is quite specific nowadays and the best experts of the field would probably not specialize in much else (you mentioned maintaining websites and hosting) so perhaps hiring freelance would be the cheapest way since I doubt you have that many sites for an SEO expert to spend 5 days a week promoting sites.

SEO can go hand in hand with content, since the majority of where you rank in a search engine is to do with the quality of the content on your site. Promoting your site is a continual process, however so is fresh content and search engine optimized content which also helps rank, would you be hiring someone to keep your sites content up to date too?

Promoting sites can include paying for advertising space also, SEO is not the only way to get your website found...

It would probably be better to hire a website project manager who could then outsource services as and when needed as well as maintain website hosting etc.

Sorry to be so vague, obscure and bitty but this subject is just that.
Thu 23/07/09 at 16:15
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
It's a good idea. SEO is wrapped up in Marketing so you could look at that. Make it broad if you wish to do non internet advertising like?

Google is actually very sophisticated in design but it does follow a set of rules like anything else. Get these rules in your head and its very simple. :D

How difficult it is depends on how far you want to go.
Thu 23/07/09 at 15:58
Regular
"THFC"
So (sorry to go on and probably sound stupid)

Those META Keywords are what google is going to find, and as such the more relevant words you have in there the better but then not to overdo it. It just seems like there should be a lot more than what is in there. Such as - Conservatories Ipswich, Conservatories Suffolk etc

But nothing like that is there, yet we pay out a lot of money for people to do this SEO and aim to get us as near the top of google as possible. I think we may have to loose them. Employ someone as our web person and have them do SEO aswell. Just then we can offer complete web media aswell.
Thu 23/07/09 at 15:48
Regular
Emmie87 wrote:
> So on www.sehbac.com (one of our clients)
> i looked at the source on their homepage and it has
>
>
>
> at the top, now freeola has a lot more than this in there, am i
> not looking at it right or is there more details i am missing (i
> am sure it is not this simple but am i heading in the right
> direction??)

I wouldn't use the forums SEO as a comparison. These pages are awaiting an SEO freshen up, that's for sure.

What you see in sehbac.com's source is all there is. Nothing gets hidden in the source apart from scripting codes such as PHP which are used to build the page. Search engines will see what you see in the source.

What you see at the top there is the first part of the SEO you'll need to look at, the META keywords and Page Title. These seem perfectly fine if you ask me, but I'd be tempted to add a couple more location-specific keywords, such as 'ipswich double glazing' or 'double-glazing ipswich' (or wherever the company provides its service). This is just my opinion though, others may disagree.

Warhunt posted a link to the Google Keyword Tool earlier, which is very handy. Not only does it provide rough figures for amounts of searches for certain terms, it also provides alternative terms that you may want to optimise for. Just try and make sure everything term you put in your META keywords, appears within your page's content and you should be good to go. Don't overdo it though, if you start spamming keywords around everywhere on your page, you might get marked down by some search engines.
Thu 23/07/09 at 15:35
Regular
"THFC"
So on www.sehbac.com (one of our clients)
i looked at the source on their homepage and it has

at the top, now freeola has a lot more than this in there, am i not looking at it right or is there more details i am missing (i am sure it is not this simple but am i heading in the right direction??)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.