GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Do You Remember the first Time?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 18/03/01 at 16:07
Regular
No I'm not going to write about that rather fabulous song by Pulp.

Or the first time I ever played a game.

But the first time I saw a new console.

For instance when i first saw the SNES, and how it compared to the NES. Or when I first saw the n64 and how it compared to the SNES...

The best game on the NES in my opinion was Super Mario Bros 3. I loved that game, there were tons of levels, and a basic map, with secrets to find and items.

You couldn't save your game though, you just had to keep on playing until you were finished. Not that this mattered, only very few NES games had battery back-up, as they used to call it, to save your data.

Anyway, years passed and along came the SNEs, and at launch Supermario World.

This game took the basics of SMB3 and improved them all.

The map idea was improved, with so many hidden levels. You could save your game after each level, so you had the added bonus of being able to achieve something from a short game.

A small extra was the improved graphics and sound.

The SNES was wonderful. Such an improvement on the NES!

Anyway, years later the time came in which the SNES was superceded too. The N64 came along, and at launch Mario64.

This time, however the game had been completely recreated. Rather than a number of mini levels, within greater levels on a world map, it played in a huge castle, with a number of large play areas inside, each of which had a number of quests to complete.

Again the game had moved on no end in terms of graphics and sound too, but it was so much more than just the aesthetics that had been improved.

Now on the horizon is the GameCube. Surely a Mario game has to be on the way, but even if not, will the games still show the same level of improvement as the previous generations did?

Obviously the graphics and sound will have improved no end, such is the way of the the industry today, but want about the play aspects and the style of games?

I doubt Nintendo will let us down, but I really am struggling to visualize the next level of games playing that the gamecube can bring. I'm not sure that this next generation will bring it at all, and we'll just see slight improvements over the games of today (not that there aren't many fine games available!).

Sega have always been inovators with their games, but as a third party developer will they be able to take the risks that have helped push todays games to current limits?

This isn't just a Nintendo idea either. Look at the progress Sega made with their consoles. SMS - Megadrive - Saturn - Dreamcast. The Saturn wasn't a success, but it could still do some pretty impresive stuff. each console had games on it that had really made a big jump from the previous generation.

and Sony have now launched their second console, but is the jump in class so apparent here? If not, I thinki it's because there does seem to have been so much progress over recent years, where can we go after realistic 3D gameplay?

So what next, more of the same? Or will the next generation of titles move gaming on at the same levels as before?
Sun 18/03/01 at 16:07
Regular
"not dead"
No I'm not going to write about that rather fabulous song by Pulp.

Or the first time I ever played a game.

But the first time I saw a new console.

For instance when i first saw the SNES, and how it compared to the NES. Or when I first saw the n64 and how it compared to the SNES...

The best game on the NES in my opinion was Super Mario Bros 3. I loved that game, there were tons of levels, and a basic map, with secrets to find and items.

You couldn't save your game though, you just had to keep on playing until you were finished. Not that this mattered, only very few NES games had battery back-up, as they used to call it, to save your data.

Anyway, years passed and along came the SNEs, and at launch Supermario World.

This game took the basics of SMB3 and improved them all.

The map idea was improved, with so many hidden levels. You could save your game after each level, so you had the added bonus of being able to achieve something from a short game.

A small extra was the improved graphics and sound.

The SNES was wonderful. Such an improvement on the NES!

Anyway, years later the time came in which the SNES was superceded too. The N64 came along, and at launch Mario64.

This time, however the game had been completely recreated. Rather than a number of mini levels, within greater levels on a world map, it played in a huge castle, with a number of large play areas inside, each of which had a number of quests to complete.

Again the game had moved on no end in terms of graphics and sound too, but it was so much more than just the aesthetics that had been improved.

Now on the horizon is the GameCube. Surely a Mario game has to be on the way, but even if not, will the games still show the same level of improvement as the previous generations did?

Obviously the graphics and sound will have improved no end, such is the way of the the industry today, but want about the play aspects and the style of games?

I doubt Nintendo will let us down, but I really am struggling to visualize the next level of games playing that the gamecube can bring. I'm not sure that this next generation will bring it at all, and we'll just see slight improvements over the games of today (not that there aren't many fine games available!).

Sega have always been inovators with their games, but as a third party developer will they be able to take the risks that have helped push todays games to current limits?

This isn't just a Nintendo idea either. Look at the progress Sega made with their consoles. SMS - Megadrive - Saturn - Dreamcast. The Saturn wasn't a success, but it could still do some pretty impresive stuff. each console had games on it that had really made a big jump from the previous generation.

and Sony have now launched their second console, but is the jump in class so apparent here? If not, I thinki it's because there does seem to have been so much progress over recent years, where can we go after realistic 3D gameplay?

So what next, more of the same? Or will the next generation of titles move gaming on at the same levels as before?
Sun 18/03/01 at 16:11
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
I say bring back the pong years :)
....or not.
Sun 18/03/01 at 17:08
Regular
The Gameboy Advance is what will make the Gamecube have a significant difference to the N64! The Gameboy Advance can act like a screen which can show maps and other things during gameplay which will certainly enhance the games!

The Gameboy advance is significantly different to the Gameboy color! Higher res 32 bit graphics with much larger games!
Sun 18/03/01 at 17:11
Regular
ah yes, but the GBA has no backlight.
Sun 18/03/01 at 17:16
Regular
It doesn't need one! It's RCD!

It reflects light!

If you're in a dark place just use a light magnifyer or wormlight!
Sun 18/03/01 at 17:17
Regular
Today`s gameaday winner is meka-dragon. Just so you know!
Sun 18/03/01 at 17:18
Regular
are u sure edgy? i really wanted to get a GBA but it having no backlight has put me off.
Sun 18/03/01 at 17:21
The gameboy advance completely kicks buttocks (SR will not et me put ***), and i don't care if it has a bck light or not, i'm getting it along with the gamcube (and I remeber the time i first saw the N64, it was goldeneye, i'll leave you with that...)
Sun 18/03/01 at 17:25
Regular
ortega wrote:
> are u sure edgy? i really wanted to get a GBA but it having no
> backlight has put me off.

The GBC was RCD and the GBA is ment to be even more reflective (dunno how though)

But don't let now having a backlight put you off it! It's got loads of great games already (Japanese release pictures I've seen anyway)

If anyone here is getting import then remember it's released in Japan 21st March!
Sun 18/03/01 at 19:26
Regular
Meka!!!

Give me a chance!! :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.