GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Where not to try Saddam"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 15/12/03 at 23:47
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Out of all the places Saddam Hussein could be tried, the worst option is Iraq.

Bush and Blair tell us that Saddam should be tried in Iraq because that is where he committed his crimes... and that's exactly the reason he shouldn't be tried there! The fact is that every single person in Iraq was affected by Saddam's regime means that it will eb impossible to form a moderately impartial court to try him - people have already made up his minds about his guilt.

Ok, so he'll be found guilty where ever he's tried. But for any man to be tried in a court full of people who have already passed sentence on him is unjust. So allow me to propose an alternative...

How about setting up an International war crimes court like that used to try Slobadan Milosovich. This has one massive advantage: it will have more power than any court that the Iraqi people form. An international court could, and should, call high profile people like Donald Rumsfeld to be examined. Only then will the court be able to pass judgement on whether Saddam did have the capability to produce chemical weapons.

So, there are my two pence on the matter. What do you people think?

SonicRav
Mon 15/12/03 at 23:47
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Out of all the places Saddam Hussein could be tried, the worst option is Iraq.

Bush and Blair tell us that Saddam should be tried in Iraq because that is where he committed his crimes... and that's exactly the reason he shouldn't be tried there! The fact is that every single person in Iraq was affected by Saddam's regime means that it will eb impossible to form a moderately impartial court to try him - people have already made up his minds about his guilt.

Ok, so he'll be found guilty where ever he's tried. But for any man to be tried in a court full of people who have already passed sentence on him is unjust. So allow me to propose an alternative...

How about setting up an International war crimes court like that used to try Slobadan Milosovich. This has one massive advantage: it will have more power than any court that the Iraqi people form. An international court could, and should, call high profile people like Donald Rumsfeld to be examined. Only then will the court be able to pass judgement on whether Saddam did have the capability to produce chemical weapons.

So, there are my two pence on the matter. What do you people think?

SonicRav
Tue 16/12/03 at 02:51
Regular
I'd like to see him tried in an international court - I believe he'd almost certainly not get the death sentence, would get a fairer trial, and the trial would probably uncover a lot about the relations between Iraq and western states over the last 30 years or so.
I doubt a trial in Iraq could achieve any of these things.

Of course, the US will probably make sure he gets a trial in Iraq for precisely the same reasons :^(
Tue 16/12/03 at 10:05
"Mimmargh!"
Saddam will be tried by his own people, partly for the irony effect, partly to make the Iraqi's fell like they are in control and I suspect finally the Iraqi's will get pis$ed if they are not allowed to try him in Iraq. And more to the point the US and UK won't want him hanging around (he will most likely face the death penalty) for many reasons. Plus they probably want the death sentence thus would prefer his enraged people to try him rather than and international court.

But thats only my random musings.
Tue 16/12/03 at 11:45
Regular
Seems like the Hague is the logical option. They'll push though a speedy and efficent trial.

Say, whats Slobodan up to these days? Oh, right...
Wed 17/12/03 at 23:42
Regular
So they want him dead without looking like hypocritical executioners.
Not a huge surprises.

Taking of surprises, where have you been all this time Ravio?
Wed 31/12/03 at 16:23
Regular
""To the pub...""
The best place to try him is Iraqi so they can stone him to death

Don't try him over here they'll make him do some community service then they'll give him a house and benefit.
Wed 31/12/03 at 16:41
Regular
"SOUP!"
If he was tried in a court full of Eskimos he would be found guilty. They're trying him in Iraq because they still freely enact the death penalty whilst the USA seem to be phasing it out - they'll probably host his execution live on the internet and if anyone is sued by the court of human rights then it will be Iraw that gets sued and USA will run for the hills.

I am WAY detatched from the world of politics.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.