GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Where you should go to fix the Red Ring of Death on XBOX360"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 23/07/09 at 03:04
Regular
I suggest that you go to microsoft and ask them for help. Alternatively watch a youtube video, search for Red Ring of Death.
Fri 31/07/09 at 21:38
Regular
"How Ironic"
It abit of of a problem. But i'm sure any problems with the chip at all will be covered by the warranty, especially if it's not a Falcon chip. The overheat problem probably has caused the chip to burn out, in which case, it should be free replacement. Let us know how you get on anyway.
Fri 31/07/09 at 21:19
Regular
I bought a nice shiny new Premium, so that wasn't the problem. I've left it on up to 10 hours at a time, and since the Dashboard upgrade the console has been running cool and the fans quiet (of course you can still hear it, but no DVD drive spinning makes it ten times better). The problem happened when I was on Horde in Gears, the fan just sped up for 5 minutes, then sounded like it was going to explode just before it shut down. The two lights mean that its an overheating problem (not covered by the warranty) so I let it cool down overnight. Next time I switched it on, within 2 minutes the fan sped up and burnt out, like a chip has fried.

It will take a while to fix (hopefully they'll do it for free), I had to send it to Germany. At least it was the console and not my HD, would be horrible if all your save game data AND downloads were lost. It would take forever to get them back.
Fri 31/07/09 at 20:53
Regular
"How Ironic"
Although people doubt the life of an Xbox, you can't fault Microsoft's warranty. They will 'usually' return it in complete and fully functioning order. What i recommend is to not buy the Xbox Arcade, because you're asking for trouble. I've only got red rings on my Elite once, and i simply restarted the console and it was fine (location and number of rings mean different problems). Although when that came up, the main power box was sucking in dog hair, and was abit clogged and heated, so that wasn't the xbox's fault :P
Fri 31/07/09 at 19:17
Regular
Tappet wrote:
> Microsoft have extended the warrenty for the red ring of death
> fault.
>
> Warrenty on the Red Ring of Death is now 5yrs.

The warranty promise means nothing, I bought mine in Dec 2007 (it was only made 2 months before that!) and it broke down last week. I went through the Xbox support site, typed in my problem (2 red lights - overheating, but every time I switched on the console within seconds it red ringed) and the next page said it was going to charge me £70. So I went back, picked the 3 red lights/E74 option (I kept my problem description the same) and was soon after given a printing label.I've sent off the faulty 360 to MS, hopefully it will come back in working order.
Fri 24/07/09 at 00:05
Regular
"How Ironic"
To cut a long story short, screwdriver+xbox 360=bad thing.
Thu 23/07/09 at 22:52
Regular
"wheres the Any Key?"
Microsoft have extended the warrenty for the red ring of death fault.

Warrenty on the Red Ring of Death is now 5yrs.

As Motomoto states, you can fix it yourself, u'll need a special tool to open the case, these are available from auction sites, but once used Microsoft will no longer entertain you. I all so recommend not to do this.

Contact Microsoft and they will arrange for the xbox to be collected and it should be returned to you within a couple of weeks.

I got a mate who had this problem 3 times in as many months, he told Microsoft that he wanted a refund, Microsoft said they couldn't refund him but did offered him a free upgarede to a Xbox Elite. Maybe worth bearing this in mind when contacting microsoft.

Good luck and keep safe m8.
Thu 23/07/09 at 09:44
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
That's it lild!

If your Xbox is still in warranty, then I would NEVER suggest that you try and repair it yourself using a video found on Youtube. Seeing as most 360's come with a 3 year warranty this shouldn't be a problem for the majority of owners. I also think that most 360's that you send back now they replace the motherboard with a specifically designed board to prevent any similar issues occurring again.

More info about this can be found at Microsoft's Xbox Support pages

Otherwise the fix isn't too complicated and involves you replacing the main component of the cooling system, which I believe is a heatsink for the processor. Although I would not recommend this for most users, it can be simple and take only a few minutes if you have the right tools.
Thu 23/07/09 at 03:04
Regular
I suggest that you go to microsoft and ask them for help. Alternatively watch a youtube video, search for Red Ring of Death.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.