GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[Game] Rock Band 2"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Rock Band 2'.
Wed 22/07/09 at 22:35
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Nearly a year ago I bought and reviewed the fun but limited Rock Band on the Wii. Since then I’ve traded all that in and put it toward a new set for the Xbox 360 along with its sequel Rock Band 2. Having had the game for well over five months now it’s pretty safe for me to say I’m glad I made the conversion. Don’t get me wrong I enjoyed the first title on Wii, it’s just that this is in an entirely different league.

For those few people who aren’t sure what Rock Band 2 is, here it is in a nutshell. As the title suggests, you can play in a band, using either lead or bass guitar, drums or by singing. In order to play the drums and guitar parts, notes will scroll down the screen and it is your job to hit the correct buttons or pads in time with them. Singing is simply done via the pitch in your voice so getting it right is key.

Drumming is perhaps the most fun of the three with real skill being needed especially at the hard and expert levels. While four pads and a kick pedal may sound easy trust me it isn’t. The guitaring is done via a plastic guitar with five coloured buttons and a strum. Holding a button and flicking the strum will play said note and it’s really that simple... to begin with until you try some of the more demanding songs by Motorhead or Avenged Sevenfold. Then singing obviously is handled via a microphone that responds to pitch changes and taps on the side for the odd tambourine and cowbell sections in songs. Each feels fun to perform and while you may have your favourite instrument, you’ll find yourself wanting to give all a go.

World Tour mode is definitely a step forward compared to the basic single player options from Guitar Hero or the first Rock Band on Wii. Here you create a full band and take on the world playing in gigs ranging from inside pubs and bars right up to massive halls and stadiums. To begin with you’ll be stuck in a few cities with zero fans, but as you progress and purchase a van, tour bus and plane new venues become available. Every city has several places to perform and each have several challenges. Some are single songs while others have you pick your own play list or have a random one thrown at you which can often be tough. Successfully completing these earn you cash, stars and fans depending how well you play and later open newer stages, clothes and instruments. However should you fail a song, followers will become fed up and leave lowering your overall fan base. While it is nothing too deep, having the freedom to choose what kind of songs you want to play is nicer than having to stick to one setlist. Also thrown in for good measure is a “Challenge” feature where pre-made setlists grouped in difficulty or genre can be played under certain rules such as having a guitarist in your band or all four of you playing. “Battle of the Bands” is fairly similar too, accept with new lists being added online, and the ability to compare your scores worldwide and see who really is the best band. Also if you would rather play any of the World Tour with other people then you can either on the same console or online.

While it may seem it’s all about the cooperative play with Rock Band 2, there are a few modes that see you battling another person online or on the same console. One is a simple score battle where each play the same instrument and compete for the better score. The other is a sort of tug-of-war type mode where scoring combos and doing well will shift a bar your way. The one who has the bar on their side wins. They’re simple, but it’s nice to have some classic battling available too.

The range and amount of tracks on the disc is genuinely impressive. You have everything from classic rock and alternate right up to country and metal. While not every single tune is going to please each person, you will find a good amount to keep you happy. Whatsmore as soon as you load up the disc, you have the option to download twenty more tracks. Granted they are lesser known bands, but some of the tracks are pretty good... and if that weren’t enough, the amount of downloadable content available on Xbox Live is amazing. With tunes in the hundreds and still rising it’s often exciting waiting each week to find out what band have made their way into the game.

A training option is handy for practicing your singing, guitar shredding and drumming to songs that are especially tough, but more interestingly a drummers specific section has been added where you can practice beats and fills at varying speeds. It’s extremely useful and a great place to start for newcomers.

Visually the game looks very nice with everything crisp and clear and it is especially cool seeing the detail in your created characters. Usually with created people they look very generic and fake but here they have life about them.

Rock Band 2 is a great example of a music game done right. Extremely fun and challenging gameplay. Check. Great tunes. Check. Excellent download support. Check. Online play. Check. No matter how many new games come out, this always manages to find itself being played time and time again and I can see it staying that way for years to come.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Wed 22/07/09 at 22:35
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Nearly a year ago I bought and reviewed the fun but limited Rock Band on the Wii. Since then I’ve traded all that in and put it toward a new set for the Xbox 360 along with its sequel Rock Band 2. Having had the game for well over five months now it’s pretty safe for me to say I’m glad I made the conversion. Don’t get me wrong I enjoyed the first title on Wii, it’s just that this is in an entirely different league.

For those few people who aren’t sure what Rock Band 2 is, here it is in a nutshell. As the title suggests, you can play in a band, using either lead or bass guitar, drums or by singing. In order to play the drums and guitar parts, notes will scroll down the screen and it is your job to hit the correct buttons or pads in time with them. Singing is simply done via the pitch in your voice so getting it right is key.

Drumming is perhaps the most fun of the three with real skill being needed especially at the hard and expert levels. While four pads and a kick pedal may sound easy trust me it isn’t. The guitaring is done via a plastic guitar with five coloured buttons and a strum. Holding a button and flicking the strum will play said note and it’s really that simple... to begin with until you try some of the more demanding songs by Motorhead or Avenged Sevenfold. Then singing obviously is handled via a microphone that responds to pitch changes and taps on the side for the odd tambourine and cowbell sections in songs. Each feels fun to perform and while you may have your favourite instrument, you’ll find yourself wanting to give all a go.

World Tour mode is definitely a step forward compared to the basic single player options from Guitar Hero or the first Rock Band on Wii. Here you create a full band and take on the world playing in gigs ranging from inside pubs and bars right up to massive halls and stadiums. To begin with you’ll be stuck in a few cities with zero fans, but as you progress and purchase a van, tour bus and plane new venues become available. Every city has several places to perform and each have several challenges. Some are single songs while others have you pick your own play list or have a random one thrown at you which can often be tough. Successfully completing these earn you cash, stars and fans depending how well you play and later open newer stages, clothes and instruments. However should you fail a song, followers will become fed up and leave lowering your overall fan base. While it is nothing too deep, having the freedom to choose what kind of songs you want to play is nicer than having to stick to one setlist. Also thrown in for good measure is a “Challenge” feature where pre-made setlists grouped in difficulty or genre can be played under certain rules such as having a guitarist in your band or all four of you playing. “Battle of the Bands” is fairly similar too, accept with new lists being added online, and the ability to compare your scores worldwide and see who really is the best band. Also if you would rather play any of the World Tour with other people then you can either on the same console or online.

While it may seem it’s all about the cooperative play with Rock Band 2, there are a few modes that see you battling another person online or on the same console. One is a simple score battle where each play the same instrument and compete for the better score. The other is a sort of tug-of-war type mode where scoring combos and doing well will shift a bar your way. The one who has the bar on their side wins. They’re simple, but it’s nice to have some classic battling available too.

The range and amount of tracks on the disc is genuinely impressive. You have everything from classic rock and alternate right up to country and metal. While not every single tune is going to please each person, you will find a good amount to keep you happy. Whatsmore as soon as you load up the disc, you have the option to download twenty more tracks. Granted they are lesser known bands, but some of the tracks are pretty good... and if that weren’t enough, the amount of downloadable content available on Xbox Live is amazing. With tunes in the hundreds and still rising it’s often exciting waiting each week to find out what band have made their way into the game.

A training option is handy for practicing your singing, guitar shredding and drumming to songs that are especially tough, but more interestingly a drummers specific section has been added where you can practice beats and fills at varying speeds. It’s extremely useful and a great place to start for newcomers.

Visually the game looks very nice with everything crisp and clear and it is especially cool seeing the detail in your created characters. Usually with created people they look very generic and fake but here they have life about them.

Rock Band 2 is a great example of a music game done right. Extremely fun and challenging gameplay. Check. Great tunes. Check. Excellent download support. Check. Online play. Check. No matter how many new games come out, this always manages to find itself being played time and time again and I can see it staying that way for years to come.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.