GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PHP, help anyone???"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 18/03/01 at 01:20
Regular
I would just like to ask a little help from anyone who knows anything about PHP.
have a script that writes to text files, but where I want it to write to a new line (I use n for that) but when I download the file, where the line breaks are supposed to go, there are black boxxes, and no line break hss occured.

Anyone know why this maybe??? I would greatly appreceate any feedback and help

Thanks in advance...

- Chris
Mon 07/05/01 at 18:43
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Basically, PHP is using a Unix charset, as opposed to a standar Windows one.

Wordpad will open your files fine
Sun 22/04/01 at 21:31
When you write to a new line you are using \n which is the newline character for unix. Try using \r\n and this may solve your problem. \r is a carriage return which a PC will recognise.
Wed 28/03/01 at 18:20
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I use the FTP facility in Internet Explorer 5.5, so do you know how to switch between binary and ASCII in IE 5.5???

Thanks...
Wed 28/03/01 at 17:32
I think your problem is that you are uploading in your ftp program as binary whereas you should be uploading as ascii. (Or it may be the other way around). Just do the other one.
Steve.
Mon 26/03/01 at 19:28
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Thanks...
Mon 26/03/01 at 13:43
Regular
""
I'm no PHP guru or anything but it sounds like they're control characters of some kind. I've seen it before in other situations. It's something to do with the codepage the writer is using not being the same as the codepage the reader is using (does that make sense?).

Could be a number of reasons and fixes.

Could be something as easy as opening the file in Wordpad instead of Notepad, or something as mad as changing the conflicting codepages. One way round it that I've seen is using the ascii value of a line break in the code, rather than what you're using at the moment.

Perhaps someone else can shed some more light on it.
cheers
ajg

Sun 18/03/01 at 01:20
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I would just like to ask a little help from anyone who knows anything about PHP.
have a script that writes to text files, but where I want it to write to a new line (I use n for that) but when I download the file, where the line breaks are supposed to go, there are black boxxes, and no line break hss occured.

Anyone know why this maybe??? I would greatly appreceate any feedback and help

Thanks in advance...

- Chris

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.