GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Pricing"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 17/03/01 at 20:17
Regular
Does anyone else agree with me that most of the games which we play are considerably overpriced? When a game is new, you can expect to pay £30 for it. While this is fine for games which are expected to last a long time, I feel that this seems very over the top for games which are only expected to be played once or twice, or at a gathering, for example Who Wants To Be a Millionaire, Crash Bash, and Micro Maniacs. While I am not denying that these are very good games, they do not, by any means, have the depth of, say, the Final Fantasy or Zelda series', or just about any game on the PC. I am sure that it would be a better idea if publishers were willing to adopt a more flexible pricing scheme which allowed different games to have more drastically different prices, depending on, say, the time it took to develop a particular title. I feel that many people, especially younger gamers, would be attracted by slightly lower prices on some titles.
Sat 17/03/01 at 20:17
Regular
Does anyone else agree with me that most of the games which we play are considerably overpriced? When a game is new, you can expect to pay £30 for it. While this is fine for games which are expected to last a long time, I feel that this seems very over the top for games which are only expected to be played once or twice, or at a gathering, for example Who Wants To Be a Millionaire, Crash Bash, and Micro Maniacs. While I am not denying that these are very good games, they do not, by any means, have the depth of, say, the Final Fantasy or Zelda series', or just about any game on the PC. I am sure that it would be a better idea if publishers were willing to adopt a more flexible pricing scheme which allowed different games to have more drastically different prices, depending on, say, the time it took to develop a particular title. I feel that many people, especially younger gamers, would be attracted by slightly lower prices on some titles.
Sat 17/03/01 at 20:57
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Not overpriced, no.

It's often underestimated what it costs to actually produce something. Up to 300 people can be needed to produce one game, it takes a lot of investment and it's risky.

The problem is, we are so used to getting cheap trainers from China, purely because the Chinese work for pocket-money, that we are all spoilt.

Old games should be cheap, but if you want good new games then you'll have to pay for them.
Sat 17/03/01 at 21:00
Regular
Are you willing to tell us how much SR buys games for?
Sat 17/03/01 at 21:02
Regular
SR buys in bulk so they're bound to have a percentage discount anyway!
Sat 17/03/01 at 21:03
Regular
SR have better prices than most shops where I live, and where I am at Uni.
It is very rare to find a shop with a cheaper price. So that`s good enough for me.

Oh! If you win gameaday, then the price becomes even better! Unless I`ve missed the point somewhere.
Sun 18/03/01 at 19:45
Regular
Most SR prices seem lower than other places, but they don't seem to be very reliable because occasionally there is a game which is at least double the price compared to the local EB. I always shop around before I buy anything.
Sun 18/03/01 at 20:08
There's always the PSX platinum range, and well you could rent games first to save you spending £30 on them and only playing them twice - think about ir :¬)

So, games are not that expensive, I mean Shenmue - THE most expensive game to produce, ever - is only £40 and it's on 4 discs, so we aren't getting ripped off.

I win most of my games, or earn money online to pay for them, see?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.