GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Ninety Nine Nights"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Ninety-Nine Nights'.
Wed 22/07/09 at 14:23
Regular
"How Ironic"
When it comes to games, i'm usually in the category of sports and FPSs. That about cuts it for me; guns and balls, but obviously not at the same time. I was reaching outside my zone when i decided to buy this game. In the category of 'Hack and Slash/Roleplaying', i was in very unfamiliar territory. Of course, i'd seen videos of classic japanese slashy stabby games, were the goal is not how many you kill, but rather how you kill them. It seems to give you a sense of pride when you see the piles of bodies mounting up, as though only you could manage to slay so many foes (when in reality, a button bashing 5 year old could do it to).

Ninety Nine nights is definitely one of these games. Inphyy is your starting girl. She is a 17 year old Temple Knight, out to avenge her father's death. Her sword is almost as big as her, which comes in handy, as realistically, she would have no chance of weilding such a big weapon, but because we're in the gaming world, I'll let her off.

At the beginning of the game, your arsenal of moves is limited, although they're still pretty cool. Wether it be good or bad, there are only 2 main combat buttons, which can be mixed with jumps and dashes to unleash greater moves. In some fighting games, there are just too many different moves, and the limitation of moves is a breath of fresh air, as it enables you to learn the moves easier, without even more being thrown into the mix. This allows you to grow along side your characters, because as they level up and learn a new set of moves, it gives you a chance to try them out and add them to your button bashing combos.

Yes, i've said the dreaded word twice thus far. Button bashing. It's a rather simple game if you don't want to try and peform beautiful sword manouevres, leaping all over the place, and prefer to have the gratification of the piles of bodies, fine, act like the 5-year old, because you certainly won't experience the gratification of a great combat game.

And when i say piles of bodies, i mean several piles. Levels consist of hundreds and thousands of different creatures. Usually, each species of creature looks the same, but who cares, they're all going to die anyway. You'll be too busy whizzing through their arms and legs to notice. There will usually be several different battles in a level, rather than just one big battle, and they will be seperated by cut scenes, which will add a new dimension to the current situation. Perhaps enemy reinforcements will arrive, or some more allies will come and replace the men that have died.

That is one floor in the game. Your allies. At the start of each level you can choose 2 squads of troops to join you. It can be a mixture of Infantry, Heavy Infantry, Pikeman and Archers. Just a quick note, archers seem pretty pointless as it's very hard to try and get them to fire from a distance, as your allies will follow you everywhere. To be utterly honest, the allied troops are useless. The enemy creatures will usually take 3 or 4 punches before they actually die. Your men in heavy armour, well, you'll notice you suddenly get alot more attention from the enemy about 10 minutes into a level, seeing as all your troops are dead.

Of course, the enemy have some challenges. One of the earliest examples is a troll. Yes, just one. And it causes absolute chaos. One or two hits from that thing, and you'll be toast. This is were strategy comes into the game. Do you kill the hordes of enemy creatures who are attacking the men trying to kill the troll, or do you kill the troll, who's slaughtering your men. Decisions like this can turn a battle, and you get seconds to decide before it's too late, just like real battle.

From killing enemies, you can gather orbs. Yes, here comes the "I'm full of power, i will unleash my super awesome moves now" part. These orbs gather up to allow you to unleash an orb attack. This makes your attacks far more powerful, and can clear large areas very quickly. Enemies killed while in Orb Attack mode will drop blue orbs. Once you collect enough blue orbs, you can unleash an Orb Spark attack, which will literally clear your whole screen of enemies. A battle is never over in this game.

This can't be a roleplaying game without the element of item upgrades.Occasionally, enemies will drop items, which you can equip. They can be swords, armour, or even boosts (eg. XP boosts) The equipment you find will get better and better as you progress through the levels.

As you progress through levels, you'll also unlock new characters to play as, so yes, the playability factor is very large, although the story is exactly the same through each character. It would've been nice to unlock characters and have a new path to go down, with a new story to follow.

Graphically, this game is average. At the time of release, it's graphics were far superior in comparison to games of a similar style, although as with all game graphics, it's not fair to compare them to games made after them.

I've not noticed too many sounds to shout about. I have noticed the repetition of sounds as moves are made. Same move equals the same sound, which is quite annoying, as if you want to perform a super combo over and over, you have to put up with the constant groaning noise of your character. This is a Japanese/Korean game though, and of course, the game is dubbed with terrible voices. Even worse, they are out of sync, but that's what we expect anyway.

Overall, this game is great as something to relieve boredom. I can't imagine myself getting completely immersed in it, as it's just too repetitive. The graphics are average, the sounds are a tad repetitive, the story is abit windy. But you don't care too much about the characters or their story, it's the killing element that's the postitive. You'll be joined with the usual useless AI allies, against hordes of stronger creatures, but it's a game that's better to pick it up and to think: "I'm in the mood for some ownage".

Game Rating: 6/10
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Wed 22/07/09 at 14:23
Regular
"How Ironic"
When it comes to games, i'm usually in the category of sports and FPSs. That about cuts it for me; guns and balls, but obviously not at the same time. I was reaching outside my zone when i decided to buy this game. In the category of 'Hack and Slash/Roleplaying', i was in very unfamiliar territory. Of course, i'd seen videos of classic japanese slashy stabby games, were the goal is not how many you kill, but rather how you kill them. It seems to give you a sense of pride when you see the piles of bodies mounting up, as though only you could manage to slay so many foes (when in reality, a button bashing 5 year old could do it to).

Ninety Nine nights is definitely one of these games. Inphyy is your starting girl. She is a 17 year old Temple Knight, out to avenge her father's death. Her sword is almost as big as her, which comes in handy, as realistically, she would have no chance of weilding such a big weapon, but because we're in the gaming world, I'll let her off.

At the beginning of the game, your arsenal of moves is limited, although they're still pretty cool. Wether it be good or bad, there are only 2 main combat buttons, which can be mixed with jumps and dashes to unleash greater moves. In some fighting games, there are just too many different moves, and the limitation of moves is a breath of fresh air, as it enables you to learn the moves easier, without even more being thrown into the mix. This allows you to grow along side your characters, because as they level up and learn a new set of moves, it gives you a chance to try them out and add them to your button bashing combos.

Yes, i've said the dreaded word twice thus far. Button bashing. It's a rather simple game if you don't want to try and peform beautiful sword manouevres, leaping all over the place, and prefer to have the gratification of the piles of bodies, fine, act like the 5-year old, because you certainly won't experience the gratification of a great combat game.

And when i say piles of bodies, i mean several piles. Levels consist of hundreds and thousands of different creatures. Usually, each species of creature looks the same, but who cares, they're all going to die anyway. You'll be too busy whizzing through their arms and legs to notice. There will usually be several different battles in a level, rather than just one big battle, and they will be seperated by cut scenes, which will add a new dimension to the current situation. Perhaps enemy reinforcements will arrive, or some more allies will come and replace the men that have died.

That is one floor in the game. Your allies. At the start of each level you can choose 2 squads of troops to join you. It can be a mixture of Infantry, Heavy Infantry, Pikeman and Archers. Just a quick note, archers seem pretty pointless as it's very hard to try and get them to fire from a distance, as your allies will follow you everywhere. To be utterly honest, the allied troops are useless. The enemy creatures will usually take 3 or 4 punches before they actually die. Your men in heavy armour, well, you'll notice you suddenly get alot more attention from the enemy about 10 minutes into a level, seeing as all your troops are dead.

Of course, the enemy have some challenges. One of the earliest examples is a troll. Yes, just one. And it causes absolute chaos. One or two hits from that thing, and you'll be toast. This is were strategy comes into the game. Do you kill the hordes of enemy creatures who are attacking the men trying to kill the troll, or do you kill the troll, who's slaughtering your men. Decisions like this can turn a battle, and you get seconds to decide before it's too late, just like real battle.

From killing enemies, you can gather orbs. Yes, here comes the "I'm full of power, i will unleash my super awesome moves now" part. These orbs gather up to allow you to unleash an orb attack. This makes your attacks far more powerful, and can clear large areas very quickly. Enemies killed while in Orb Attack mode will drop blue orbs. Once you collect enough blue orbs, you can unleash an Orb Spark attack, which will literally clear your whole screen of enemies. A battle is never over in this game.

This can't be a roleplaying game without the element of item upgrades.Occasionally, enemies will drop items, which you can equip. They can be swords, armour, or even boosts (eg. XP boosts) The equipment you find will get better and better as you progress through the levels.

As you progress through levels, you'll also unlock new characters to play as, so yes, the playability factor is very large, although the story is exactly the same through each character. It would've been nice to unlock characters and have a new path to go down, with a new story to follow.

Graphically, this game is average. At the time of release, it's graphics were far superior in comparison to games of a similar style, although as with all game graphics, it's not fair to compare them to games made after them.

I've not noticed too many sounds to shout about. I have noticed the repetition of sounds as moves are made. Same move equals the same sound, which is quite annoying, as if you want to perform a super combo over and over, you have to put up with the constant groaning noise of your character. This is a Japanese/Korean game though, and of course, the game is dubbed with terrible voices. Even worse, they are out of sync, but that's what we expect anyway.

Overall, this game is great as something to relieve boredom. I can't imagine myself getting completely immersed in it, as it's just too repetitive. The graphics are average, the sounds are a tad repetitive, the story is abit windy. But you don't care too much about the characters or their story, it's the killing element that's the postitive. You'll be joined with the usual useless AI allies, against hordes of stronger creatures, but it's a game that's better to pick it up and to think: "I'm in the mood for some ownage".

Game Rating: 6/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.