GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[Game] The Bigs 2"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'The Bigs 2'.
Wed 22/07/09 at 13:04
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Let’s get this clear right from the beginning, I’m not what you’d call a fan of baseball. Sure I know the basic rules but I don’t watch or keep up to date with the MLB nor could I tell you a single player’s name. Knowing the Yankees are a team is about the extent my baseball knowledge will go. It’s so strange though, that someone like me is having such a great time with a game like The Bigs 2.

Baseball is simple. Someone throws a ball, another hits it and tries to run around the bases. Of course there are deeper rules and a lot of technical jargon that could be gone into, but the great thing about The Bigs 2 is that if you know none of it then it doesn’t really matter! This is so accessible and yet it’s also a game one can master. Imagine baseball on steroids and you’re pretty much there. The game is broken up into four sections. Batting, fielding, running and pitching and each are relatively easy to grasp.

When pitching you are presented with a box where you can aim where you wish to throw. Each pitcher has a selection of differing pitches which you use to try and confuse the opponent. In order to actually throw the ball a small meter appears where you must time holding the button till it reaches the peak. The closer you get it to the top of the meter the faster and harder it is for the batter to hit the ball. Time it wrong and not only will the pitch be weak and inaccurate but the batter will be “tipped off” and get to see where the ball is headed via a cursor. Batting is simply trying to line up your swing with the analogue and timing the press of the A button for a simple contact swing or B for a power one. Each batter also has a “Wheelhouse” area or “Sweetspot” which when hit in can lead to home runs or well placed hits. Every time the ball flies past you and through that space though, and the area it covers in the box gets smaller. It’s a nice risk reward system for the pitcher as they try to make it harder and harder for the batter to score.

Running is nicely done with the computer handling when to run and how far most of the time. However when you want to take over it can become a little confusing. Holding buttons and using the analogue can make your runners do strange things and if you don’t focus you may see one stand in between bases. However it’s a small issue and when the computer is in control it’s great. Fielding is great fun too with movement and throwing really simple.

The Bigs 2 adds some spice to the game with exaggerated actions, bone crunching hits at the plate and special turbo that can be used to enhance your player’s abilities during play. While the mechanics are simple, little button combination games appear every time a ball comes within reach of a fielder or a showdown occurs to incur a gravity defying feat. Holding a button till a perfect moment, pressing five buttons as quick as possible flawlessly and perhaps the most fun seeing the runner and backstop mashing the A button in order to smash the other away and either snag or defend home plate. They occur quite often but are so much fun and a real test of holding your nerve.

Strikes and balls earn you turbo which can power up pitches, swings and speed up your players. When to use it can be vital especially in scoring situations. Every time you perform a strikeout, mind blowing catch or something special you’ll tally up points. When you reach 100,000 you’ll be able to either perform three amazing pitches that are virtually unhittable or a guarantee home run just as long as you make contact with the ball. These are real game breakers and can add to some real tense finales especially near the end of the game. Of course should you hate them, the craziness can be switched off.

For a game that is more arcade than sim, the amount of content and depth is fairly surprising. If you want to jump right into a game with your mates or a computer then obviously you can, but for those who are playing alone there’s a good amount here to satisfy too. Season mode allows you to pick any of the major league teams and basically go through playing games and trading players in order to build up your squad. It’s obvious baseball fans are going to get more out of this but a simple stat system will mean those oblivious to good players will know who to get and who not to in the game. “Become a Legend” mode sees you creating your own superstar and then hitting the field trying to improve your skills, complete missions and eventually make the hall of fame. You’ll find yourself trying to complete certain tasks during matches with your created player (like hit a homerun or throw someone out) as well as take part in mini games that work on your running, catching and so on. It has enough to make it feel different from the season mode and it’s definitely worth playing both. If there’s one disappointment, it’s that you can’t create your own team nor even use your created superstar in a regular match against friends.

Homerun Pinball is an interesting idea and slowly grows on you. Here a pitcher will throw a continuous stream of balls at you as you try and hit them at neon lights and signs in the distance for points. The catch here is you only have three balls and if you miss them then its game over. Multiballs, score multipliers and big hits can be earned and it can become very intense especially when you are down to your final ball. What’s more this mode can also be played with or against a friend. Of course you have an online element too where you can take on someone in a three, five, seven or nine inning game and you can also try the pinballing too. Overall the variety and quantity is impressive, especially for a baseball game.

Visually the players all look great as do the stadiums too. A nice touch is the ability to play at night or during day. The commentary is by far some of the best I’ve heard in a sports game and has on many occasions made me laugh out loud due to some of the genuinely hilarious comments. More importantly it doesn’t sound like some awful pre-recorded samples pieced together awkwardly. It flows well and sounds perfect. The soundtrack too is great consisting of rock and heavier stuff. Overall the presentation is extremely good.

I never thought I’d hear myself say that I love a baseballing game but The Bigs 2 has blown me away. The great commentary, awesome arcade-like gameplay and sheer fun of this title keep me coming back for just one more game. Tiger Woods and Grand Slam Tennis on Wii are great at making you feel more in control and getting you one step closer to the real thing, but there are times when you just can’t beat a good old simple action paced game with a friend using a gamepad. Biggest surprise of the year? Right now it seems that way. And at around £15 online you should definitely give this a try.
Thu 23/07/09 at 01:09
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Warhunt wrote:
> Very nice review. Hate most sports games myself, cept football so
> I won't look into it but certainly one for a beery night in if it
> comes to it :D

Thanks Warhunt. I'm absolutely loving this game at the moment. Funnily enough just had a great beer fueled evening tonight. My friends just left and we played many games including The Bigs 2. Such a close game too. 2-2 in the final inning then I managed to get a lucky hit that looked to be caught out but then bounced out of the fielders hand and led to one of my runners on base to score. So much fun.

Now off to bed :)
Wed 22/07/09 at 13:28
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Very nice review. Hate most sports games myself, cept football so I won't look into it but certainly one for a beery night in if it comes to it :D
Wed 22/07/09 at 13:04
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Let’s get this clear right from the beginning, I’m not what you’d call a fan of baseball. Sure I know the basic rules but I don’t watch or keep up to date with the MLB nor could I tell you a single player’s name. Knowing the Yankees are a team is about the extent my baseball knowledge will go. It’s so strange though, that someone like me is having such a great time with a game like The Bigs 2.

Baseball is simple. Someone throws a ball, another hits it and tries to run around the bases. Of course there are deeper rules and a lot of technical jargon that could be gone into, but the great thing about The Bigs 2 is that if you know none of it then it doesn’t really matter! This is so accessible and yet it’s also a game one can master. Imagine baseball on steroids and you’re pretty much there. The game is broken up into four sections. Batting, fielding, running and pitching and each are relatively easy to grasp.

When pitching you are presented with a box where you can aim where you wish to throw. Each pitcher has a selection of differing pitches which you use to try and confuse the opponent. In order to actually throw the ball a small meter appears where you must time holding the button till it reaches the peak. The closer you get it to the top of the meter the faster and harder it is for the batter to hit the ball. Time it wrong and not only will the pitch be weak and inaccurate but the batter will be “tipped off” and get to see where the ball is headed via a cursor. Batting is simply trying to line up your swing with the analogue and timing the press of the A button for a simple contact swing or B for a power one. Each batter also has a “Wheelhouse” area or “Sweetspot” which when hit in can lead to home runs or well placed hits. Every time the ball flies past you and through that space though, and the area it covers in the box gets smaller. It’s a nice risk reward system for the pitcher as they try to make it harder and harder for the batter to score.

Running is nicely done with the computer handling when to run and how far most of the time. However when you want to take over it can become a little confusing. Holding buttons and using the analogue can make your runners do strange things and if you don’t focus you may see one stand in between bases. However it’s a small issue and when the computer is in control it’s great. Fielding is great fun too with movement and throwing really simple.

The Bigs 2 adds some spice to the game with exaggerated actions, bone crunching hits at the plate and special turbo that can be used to enhance your player’s abilities during play. While the mechanics are simple, little button combination games appear every time a ball comes within reach of a fielder or a showdown occurs to incur a gravity defying feat. Holding a button till a perfect moment, pressing five buttons as quick as possible flawlessly and perhaps the most fun seeing the runner and backstop mashing the A button in order to smash the other away and either snag or defend home plate. They occur quite often but are so much fun and a real test of holding your nerve.

Strikes and balls earn you turbo which can power up pitches, swings and speed up your players. When to use it can be vital especially in scoring situations. Every time you perform a strikeout, mind blowing catch or something special you’ll tally up points. When you reach 100,000 you’ll be able to either perform three amazing pitches that are virtually unhittable or a guarantee home run just as long as you make contact with the ball. These are real game breakers and can add to some real tense finales especially near the end of the game. Of course should you hate them, the craziness can be switched off.

For a game that is more arcade than sim, the amount of content and depth is fairly surprising. If you want to jump right into a game with your mates or a computer then obviously you can, but for those who are playing alone there’s a good amount here to satisfy too. Season mode allows you to pick any of the major league teams and basically go through playing games and trading players in order to build up your squad. It’s obvious baseball fans are going to get more out of this but a simple stat system will mean those oblivious to good players will know who to get and who not to in the game. “Become a Legend” mode sees you creating your own superstar and then hitting the field trying to improve your skills, complete missions and eventually make the hall of fame. You’ll find yourself trying to complete certain tasks during matches with your created player (like hit a homerun or throw someone out) as well as take part in mini games that work on your running, catching and so on. It has enough to make it feel different from the season mode and it’s definitely worth playing both. If there’s one disappointment, it’s that you can’t create your own team nor even use your created superstar in a regular match against friends.

Homerun Pinball is an interesting idea and slowly grows on you. Here a pitcher will throw a continuous stream of balls at you as you try and hit them at neon lights and signs in the distance for points. The catch here is you only have three balls and if you miss them then its game over. Multiballs, score multipliers and big hits can be earned and it can become very intense especially when you are down to your final ball. What’s more this mode can also be played with or against a friend. Of course you have an online element too where you can take on someone in a three, five, seven or nine inning game and you can also try the pinballing too. Overall the variety and quantity is impressive, especially for a baseball game.

Visually the players all look great as do the stadiums too. A nice touch is the ability to play at night or during day. The commentary is by far some of the best I’ve heard in a sports game and has on many occasions made me laugh out loud due to some of the genuinely hilarious comments. More importantly it doesn’t sound like some awful pre-recorded samples pieced together awkwardly. It flows well and sounds perfect. The soundtrack too is great consisting of rock and heavier stuff. Overall the presentation is extremely good.

I never thought I’d hear myself say that I love a baseballing game but The Bigs 2 has blown me away. The great commentary, awesome arcade-like gameplay and sheer fun of this title keep me coming back for just one more game. Tiger Woods and Grand Slam Tennis on Wii are great at making you feel more in control and getting you one step closer to the real thing, but there are times when you just can’t beat a good old simple action paced game with a friend using a gamepad. Biggest surprise of the year? Right now it seems that way. And at around £15 online you should definitely give this a try.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.