GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Wireless network config questions ..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/12/03 at 02:32
Regular
"whoneedsatagline?"
Hi all

I run a simple crossover cable network between 2 PCs, and they share the internet connection, which is via an *internal* PCI ADSL modem installed in one of them.

Question is, if I want to avoid the physical cable running through the house, and go wireless, whats the simplest solution I can get away with?
Thu 11/12/03 at 19:14
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
doc693 wrote:
> Any recommendations for a USB wireless option?

Linksys (Cisco) or anything by D-Link
Thu 11/12/03 at 17:50
Regular
"whoneedsatagline?"
And finally .......

I've been looking around at wireless USB adapters - some of them have pretty bad reviews from previous buyers. Mainly because of either rubbish drivers, or rubbish signal strength.

Any recommendations for a USB wireless option?

Thanks again
Thu 11/12/03 at 11:28
Regular
"whoneedsatagline?"
Thanks for the replies ... I didnt know whether I'd have to get a router or just the adapters, and I wanst sure how (if at all) a wireless access point comes into the equation. Whatever, I guess I can try with just the adapters first.

At the moment, ICS is working OK, so I'll stick with it.
Thu 11/12/03 at 08:11
Regular
"Fruit makes you far"
Oh, and that can be expanded if you get extra machines etc (to an extent). Once the network gets larger, you would need to use an Access Point and consider things a bit differently.

Regards,
Danny
Thu 11/12/03 at 08:09
Regular
"Fruit makes you far"
Two wireless adaptors (USB/PCI/PCMCIA depending on machine types) running in ad-hoc mode.

Then, use Internet Connection Sharing to allow this.

It's quite an easy job you'll be pleased to hear.

I'd stay clear of Bluetooth, the range isn't good for this sort of thing and I don't know the speed implications.

Regards,
Danny
Thu 11/12/03 at 02:43
"I love yo... lamp."
Theoretically, you should be able to just connect the two PCs wirelessly, by buying wireless PCI cards or USB adaptors and they should communicate with each other. It may be possible to do it using Bluetooth, but I would be likely to stick to a normal wireless network, as in 802.11.

After getting that hardware you would still have to use ICS. Which is a pain. I have a wireless router, that also has a built in ADSL modem and 4 port network switch. It wasn't expensive and allows me to either fit wireless components or use wires to attach my PCs to the router. Also using a router means that you do not have to have both PCs on when the one without the modem wants to use the internet, where as you do with ICS.`
Thu 11/12/03 at 02:32
Regular
"whoneedsatagline?"
Hi all

I run a simple crossover cable network between 2 PCs, and they share the internet connection, which is via an *internal* PCI ADSL modem installed in one of them.

Question is, if I want to avoid the physical cable running through the house, and go wireless, whats the simplest solution I can get away with?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.