GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ad hoc"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 08/12/03 at 17:47
I have an ethernet cable, and 2 laptops. Both have an ethernet connection - can I connect them up using the cable and be able to share files? If so, how?

I've tried using the shared folders option, as well as setting up a home network; both which do not work.
Mon 08/12/03 at 20:33
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
I linked my Laptop up the other day.

All I did was to plug it in and it detected it automatically...

I then played Quake 3 and had lots of fun.

I sold the crossover cable after finding that I had one the same at home, I just hope it's a crossover cable and not just a standard single way one.
Mon 08/12/03 at 18:38
At first, I thought, "Lorry? WTF?" But after reading it through I see why you did that.

Will try the pings now.
Mon 08/12/03 at 18:35
Regular
"bing bang bong"
A very simple way of thinking about it is a lorry picking up cargo (read:packets) at one end of the line at one computer and dropping it off at the other end of the line at the other computer. The cargo can only be accessed from the back of the lorry, so somewhere en-route the lorry has to reverse direction (this is probably why data collisions occur :rolleyes:) With a straight-through cable from one computer to another, this doesn't happen - you either need to put a hub in the middle, which will reverse the lorrys direction, or a crossover cable which does the same thing. In real life, the only difference between a crossover cable and a straight-through network cable is a few wires are in a different order at one end.

Of course the added complication is that laptop NICs are generally auto-sensing, and can reverse the lorrys direction of travel automatically. Which means it probably doesn't matter if you have a crossover or straight-through cable. Heh.

Can your computers ping one another? I'd strongly recommend setting them up with static ip addresses - 192.168.0.10 and 192.168.0.11 for instance. This makes trying to get your computers to talk to each other a bit less like nailing jelly to the ceiling.
Mon 08/12/03 at 18:17
Scuse the stupidness but how are they different?
Mon 08/12/03 at 18:09
Regular
"..."
I think it should work as long as your a using a 'crossover' network cable and not a standard network cable.
Mon 08/12/03 at 17:47
I have an ethernet cable, and 2 laptops. Both have an ethernet connection - can I connect them up using the cable and be able to share files? If so, how?

I've tried using the shared folders option, as well as setting up a home network; both which do not work.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.