GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Question!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 17/03/01 at 12:03
Regular
This is quite a short question but I think some of the answers might be quite long.
The question is this:
Do you think that a consoles best games should be ready for the launch of the console, or should they come along afterwards?

Normally on a console, there is 1 or maybe 2 games that really shine in a particular genre. The GT's on the PS, Soul Calibur on DC, Goldeneye and PD on N64 etc. Should these games be ready and finished for when the console is launched?
If they do, then initial sales of the machine will be high. A good thing. However, people who dont buy a console on launch, whether due to the cost or whatever, may not buy the machine 6 months later as no other good games have come out. Does this bother the manufacturers? They have already got a lot of money in from the initial sales of the machine.

If the "best" games dont come out until a lot later than launch (eg PS2 from what some people have been saying on here) then you also get problems. You will still have some people who buy the console on launch, you always will. But, come 6 months later, you have people complaining that there still arent any "classics" released, and even a price drop on the console may not help if other machines will be out within a short time span.

I was thinking that the ideal would be like the N64, have some good games on release and others come out later, spread them out sort of thing. Then I realised that the N64 didnt do particularly well. So what is the answer?
Sat 17/03/01 at 20:14
Regular
I can understand delays for games like Shenmue, with all the translation and stuff.
But for a basicdriving game or whatever, how long does it take to change from NTSC to PAL and change the language of the in game options? I'm no programmer so i dont know, nor do i pretend to, but it cant take 6-12 months can it?
Sat 17/03/01 at 19:55
more variety?
Sat 17/03/01 at 19:44
Regular
I think games should be released before the console is out so there is more variety.
Sat 17/03/01 at 19:40
Regular
I agree with u we should get games in Europe as the same time as abroad its a real pain waiting
Sat 17/03/01 at 19:33
Regular
You wish!
Sat 17/03/01 at 19:32
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
SNIPER wrote:
> Well i answered that before!

Only launch titles... what about the way N64 titles are even now... as the machine is slowing down.. that Euro-releases are still soo far behind the rest of the world... or even cancelled for us altogether...?
Sat 17/03/01 at 19:27
Regular
Well i answered that before!
Sat 17/03/01 at 19:25
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
If there not releasd until there ready... thenhow come there released in Japan and the US months before here?...

Why does it take us Europeans up to (and sometimes longer than) a year after the rest of the world to be ready for a game...

Especially since it often gets released in Oz so much earlier as well...
Sat 17/03/01 at 19:10
Regular
I know they shouldnt be released until they are ready, but when would be the ideal time for them to be released?
Sat 17/03/01 at 18:09
Regular
The consoles best games should be here when they are ready. Zelda, MGS2, Shenmue... and... err that snowboarding game? :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.