GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"World Cup groups"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 05/12/03 at 18:00
Regular
"rooooooooooooney"
This is how it turned out...

Group 1:
Czech Republic
Holland
Romania
Finland
FYR Macedonia
Armenia
Andorra

Group 2:
Turkey
Denmark
Greece
Ukraine
Georgia
Albania
Kazakhstan

Group 3:
Portugal
Russia
Slovakia
Latvia
Estonia
Liechtenstein
Luxembourg

Group 4:
France
Republic of Ireland
Switzerland
Israel
Cyprus
Faroe Islands

Group 5:
Italy
Slovenia
Scotland
Norway
Belarus
Moldova

Group 6:
England
Poland
Austria
Wales
Northern Ireland
Azerbaijan

Group 7:
Spain
Belgium
Serbia & Montenegro
Bosnia
Lithuania
San Marino

Group 8:
Sweden
Croatia
Bulgaria
Iceland
Hungary
Malta
Fri 05/12/03 at 23:47
Regular
Nah, its on points, not percentages.

Its not really that much of an advantage as the larger the group the more competition they will have. Although when the extra teams are the likes of andorra...
Fri 05/12/03 at 22:34
Regular
"rooooooooooooney"
Lindgren wrote:
> All the firsts and the two best runners-up qualify. The rest of the
> seconds fight it out in playoffs.

I hope they treat the best two 2nd placed teams as a percentage rather than points gained because otherwise teams in groups of 7 teams have an unfair advantage.
Fri 05/12/03 at 21:19
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
All the firsts and the two best runners-up qualify. The rest of the seconds fight it out in playoffs.
Fri 05/12/03 at 21:04
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
I think so.

If only first place qualifies automatically, then that's crap. It should be 1st and 2nd qualify, with the 3rd placed teams playing in playoffs. And that's what I hope it is. That would allow 20 European teams to play in the World Cup. Out of 32, it's what we deserve. :-D

What is also crap is the fact that the best placed Oceania team now, again, have to play the 5th placed South American team in a playoff. FIFA removed the ruling that they didn't for no apparent reason, and it just means that there's yet again no World Cup for Australia.
Fri 05/12/03 at 21:00
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Yeah, I agree with all that.

And 8, yeah, tough.
But I've a feeling Iceland could perform well. With Gudjohnsen being the danger man, and if the midfield can support him, and the defense hold it together - I think they've a chance at second place.

3rd places go to playoffs, don't they?
Fri 05/12/03 at 20:52
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Group 1:
Should easily be Czech Republic and Holland from this group, but Romania are certainly capable of an upset. I'll go with the Czechs and the Dutch, although Romania won't be far behind.

Group 2:
Tough group actually. It should be Turkey and Denmark, but Ukraine and Greece could both be strong teams. And I don't know a team that would enjoy travelling to Georgia, although admittedly they won't be doing much here. I'll go for Turkey and Greece, just due to Greece's recent perfomances.

Group 3:
Easy group. Portugal and Russia will breeze it. Latvia aren't bad, but they won't beat Portugal or Russia to the finish line.

Group 4:
Should probably be France followed by Republic of Ireland, but Switzerland are more than capable of doing well, as they showed by beating Ireland to the Euro 2004 Championships in the group both teams were in. Interesting. France a certainty, probably Ireland as a second.

Group 5:
I'm hoping it'll be Scotland getting second place here. Italy should win, and hopefully we can get good results at home to Norway and Slovenia. Tough, but 6 points against Moldova and Belarus should help a lot.

Group 6:
Easy for England. Second place will be fought for by Poland and Wales. I'm thinking Poland will just grab it from the Welsh, but who knows? Wales could produce some excellent displays.

Group 7:
Spain SHOULD win this, but Belguim and Serbia & Montenegro both aren't bad teams. I'll go for Spain and Serbia & Montenegro, just because Belgium have been off form as of late.

Group 8:
One of the toughest groups, really. Any of the 5 teams other than Malta could win it, but Sweden have to be considered favourites. I think they'll be followed by Croatia, however only just, as Bulgaria are strong.
Fri 05/12/03 at 20:30
Regular
"Notable"
True. It depends how his Chelsea career goes
Fri 05/12/03 at 20:29
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
AfroJoe wrote:
> Scotland will beat Italy.
>
> And then lose to Moldova.
>
> I can picture it now.

Exactly what I was thinking.

What a superb group we have.

I watched the whole thing on Sky Sports News.
Enthralling stuff it was.
Fri 05/12/03 at 20:28
Regular
"Baros!!!"
Beckham should be alright for 2006, and Lampard can easily replace Scholes.
Fri 05/12/03 at 20:27
Regular
"Notable"
I think the most important question is, what team will we have in 06? Beckham and Scholes will be on the verge of retirement. And I dont just mean name all the gud young English players of today. There is always an unforseen player which gets an England place.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.