GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Antisocial Gameing"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 16/03/01 at 18:42
Regular
Do video games make you antisocial? In my school, most people own a games console. However, most of these people are casual gamers, and own PSXs. They will only play the ‘cool’ games (Tony Hawks Skateboarding), and ignore pieces of brilliance like Final Fantasy. I had an argument the other day with a guy, after I overheard him saying Zelda was pants. I asked him why he thought that, and his response was ‘I couldn’t finish it over my mates house’. And this guy actually considered himself a gamer. I then told him he couldn’t finish it over his mate’s house because Zelda would take 40+ hours. He then said that anyone who finished it must be an antisocial geek with too much time on his or her hands.

This comment got me thinking. Are games antisocial? Zelda, despite being thought of as THE greatest game of all time my many people, has sold significantly less than pathetic games like FIFA. This is because FIFA is thought of as a cool game. But is playing FIFA less antisocial than playing Zelda, because you can talk about it with other people?

I sometimes stop playing games because I feel I am being to anti-social playing them. I have stopped playing Perfect Darks single player because of it. I have stopped playing emulated MD games because of it. But, I have never stopped playing WWF No Mercy because of it, or never stopped playing PD against Sims because of it. Is that because I can play multi-player on those games, so I stop feeling like a geek?

Oh, this is so confusing, I bet this post makes no sense to anyone.
Fri 16/03/01 at 18:42
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
Do video games make you antisocial? In my school, most people own a games console. However, most of these people are casual gamers, and own PSXs. They will only play the ‘cool’ games (Tony Hawks Skateboarding), and ignore pieces of brilliance like Final Fantasy. I had an argument the other day with a guy, after I overheard him saying Zelda was pants. I asked him why he thought that, and his response was ‘I couldn’t finish it over my mates house’. And this guy actually considered himself a gamer. I then told him he couldn’t finish it over his mate’s house because Zelda would take 40+ hours. He then said that anyone who finished it must be an antisocial geek with too much time on his or her hands.

This comment got me thinking. Are games antisocial? Zelda, despite being thought of as THE greatest game of all time my many people, has sold significantly less than pathetic games like FIFA. This is because FIFA is thought of as a cool game. But is playing FIFA less antisocial than playing Zelda, because you can talk about it with other people?

I sometimes stop playing games because I feel I am being to anti-social playing them. I have stopped playing Perfect Darks single player because of it. I have stopped playing emulated MD games because of it. But, I have never stopped playing WWF No Mercy because of it, or never stopped playing PD against Sims because of it. Is that because I can play multi-player on those games, so I stop feeling like a geek?

Oh, this is so confusing, I bet this post makes no sense to anyone.
Fri 16/03/01 at 18:45
Regular
Even though I'm a heavy gamer I still prefer going out with my friends!

However we usually go over each others houses and play multiplayer games with each other :)
Fri 16/03/01 at 19:44
Regular
"You've upset me"
Firstly I'd like to point out that you've spelt gaming wrong...

I've heard many people ask the question or rather make the statement "you spend too much time up on that computer of yours, why don't come out once in a while? "

The fact is that I don't just play games by myself. I regularly have friends come over and we play mulitplayer Goldeneye or Perfect Dark, me and my sister frequently play Mario Kart. Many people stereotype hardcore games players as friendless geeks who are complete social outcasts, this is as far from the truth as could possibly be... errrr, well most of the time anyway :-)

You see, playing mulitplayer games over the internet and in you're room at home is a prime way to make friends and meet new people. Hell, these forums are a good way too! It's easy to strike up a coversation with a fellow gamer, on a train once I heard a total stranger talking about the way that the N64 seems to have gone downhill latley and before I knew it we were having a very interesting talk.

So why do gamers always get stereotyped in this way? Well it's down to the image that video games project. True gamers are always seen as the antisocial runts of the litter... I cetainly don't fit that description *cough cough* But this is just not the case. It's not dependant on you're social status that you'll like video games, it's down to you're personality and tastes.
Fri 16/03/01 at 20:33
Regular
Gaming isn't antisocial which i think that most parents would think, but don't we play games for fun and we enjoy it alot often than school.
OF course it's the same case for us because they are so darn addictive we cannot stop playing them.
It does of course effect our schoowork alot if we take up so much playing time and less studies.
But still i think gaming should be all about learning things that is alot easier to learn than in school.
Still you will have to work hard to get the grades, i recommend you do your work and at the same time enjoy your gaming.
OF course the learning curve for games is alot more pleasing than studying itself, but gaming isn't antisocial at all, it's all a bit of entertainment and fun with or without friends.
It is entertainment at it's best.
Fri 16/03/01 at 20:48
Gaming is not anti-social if used rightly, the reason I bought my Playstation was for multi-player purposes only, which would not be anti-social at all, and for the first month or so of using it, I was only playing Smackdown!2, NHL and fifa 2001 and other great multiplayers. This was great, but after a while, i got bored of whooping my friends candy (CENSORED) rear-ends all over the screen and sometimes them being out... so I broke my promise of not being anti-social and sat upstairs in a corner of my room killing zombies (resident evil).
Now I am getting Final Fantasy IX - FANTASTIC GAME!! - so some people do have taste Macca (mouldy cheese).
I am now regretting buying a Playstation coz of the bad multiplayer over all, and the PS2 is not much better. I should of bought a N64 - but the games are too expensive.
Please tell me of good PS multiplayers.
I hope in the future gaming will become more multiplayered and less anti-social and lonered.
The mouldy cheese is right.
Fri 16/03/01 at 20:50
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
Of course I am right.
Fri 16/03/01 at 22:20
"Uzi Lover"
Nice post there.

I know what you are saying. Some kids find games anti social but its just because gaming is not one of their hobbies. But every kid has played a game in his/her life!

I think it would be intresting to see a poll taken place within the U.K to see who actually enjoys playing games.

People don't find films anit social i think as cinemas are a very social places. But gaming today is taking the right road, using the combined forces of the internet and multiplayer gaming. But with the internet, does this mean that multiplayer games are to disolved away to nothing and take form in more of a internet role?

The best multiplayer games today are internet realted, this could be a main factor.

All I can though is, don't give up your best hobbie for the opion of others. Gaming is the best form of entertainment around and as it advances will stay like that. Its the interactive world that you take control of, the world in which you play how you want and when you want. Don't let it die on you.

Fri 16/03/01 at 22:35
Regular
I'm writing this off the top of my head so please try and ignore any bits that dont quite make sense.

Firstly the reason the games playing is seen as as "geeky" is because when games first came out they were mainly text base RPG's and so you had to have a lot of time to actually play the game. Also you are seen as interacting with a non-human entity (ie the computer/console). This makes people think that you cant make "proper" friends.

I have to say i think gaming in general is now no percieved as geeky quite so much a s it was. 3 Reasons:

1. People who were though of as geeky when they were in school cos they played games on their SNES or whatever are now old enough to go down the pub. Anything that gets talked about "down the pub" cant be geeky :-)

2. The global computer games market is now the second largest in the world, ahead of music but behind films.

3. Consoles/games are now out that appeal to "older" gamers, Carmageddon is an example.

Their you have it, gamers were percieved as geeky but i think now thay opinion is coming around.

Going on to what you said about certain games being geeky, well i agree. People still see certain genres as being geeky, the RPG being the main on. This is because you have to spend a lot of time playing them, so again you must have a lot of spare time ie no friends to play them. Whereas your FIFA's and your Gran Turismo's can be a quick 5 minute game before you go out sort of thing.

Ok, i hope this makes some sort of sense!
Fri 16/03/01 at 23:14
Regular
The only game that's made me antisocial in Zelda Majora's mask. Most of my other games either didn't absorb me as much or had a multiplayer.

Mario Kart, WWF No Mercy and Perfect Dark are the most social games ever.

4 friends at a time, exchanging taunts and curses!

A social life at it's best!

lol, don't worry, I do have a life really...
Sat 17/03/01 at 10:39
Regular
I think the best "social" games have got to be (in no order of preference):

Super Bomberman (SNES version)
Virtua Tennis
MarioKart64
Goldeneye
Beatle Adventure Racing (N64, quite a good little game actually)
Quake2 (N64)
Sega Swirl (DC)

Notice all these games are ones where everyone is around the same machine because this is a lot more social than playing over the net (in my opinion). Even though with net play there can be a greater feeling of team spirit as you are working together eg TF. Whereas in the games i've mentioned you are working against each other.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.