GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"LNHS Considers Live Donor Scheme."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 03/12/03 at 13:18
Regular
From The Guardian web-site:

A radical change in medical law to allow the NHS to buy organs from live donors in Britain and Europe will be debated in closed session today by the British Medical Association, the powerful organisation representing doctors throughout the UK.

John Harris, professor of bioethics at Manchester university, will argue for healthy donors to be given the right to sell a kidney, part of a liver or bone marrow for transplanting to a sick patient.

With the backing of some of Britain's leading transplant surgeons, he will say thousands of lives could be saved by establishing "an ethical market" in live organs. Under current law the only organs used are those donated free of charge, usually by a relative, or taken from a cadaver.

His opponent in today's debate will be Alastair Campbell, professor emeritus of ethics and medicine at Bristol university. He will say: "Our body is not a piece of property, in the sense that our house is. We inhabit our house and, if we own it, we can sell it. But we are our body, we are embodied selves. So it is right that the law regards the body as not a marketable commodity to be traded away at will."

- - - - -

Thoughts?

I would quite happily donate a kidney, if it would keep someone alive that I knew. A friend or family member etc.

However, if people could sell them, they may do it for the wrong reasons. But then does it matter what their reasons are, if it means saving a life?
Thu 04/12/03 at 09:54
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> Holy crap, it reminds me of the issue in Nationstates about "Cash
> for Colons". Net result is students selling their kidneys to
> cover tuition fees...

Now that's not a bad idea...
Thu 04/12/03 at 09:49
"Darth Vader 3442321"
Black Glove wrote:

I hope I make them vomit.
> Obviously my penis will go to a freak museum in Amsterdam.

I'm donated mine to the Museum of the mighty microscope, Frankfurt. That way everyone will be able to revel in its glory.
Wed 03/12/03 at 16:40
Regular
How much is a healthly kidney worth do you think? It would have to be a big sum of money to tempt anyone into considering being a live donor.
Wed 03/12/03 at 15:15
Regular
"Laughingstock"
If anyone wants a kidney, my going rate is 500 grand. 400 in cash.

I think I signed away my body and organs to medical science when I applied for a credit card, so my destiny is to have pale medical students poking and cutting open my corpse. I hope I make them vomit. Obviously my penis will go to a freak museum in Amsterdam.
Wed 03/12/03 at 13:54
Regular
LOL!

It took me a little while to figure out the "biyer colekts.", but I got there in the end....
Wed 03/12/03 at 13:53
"Darth Vader 3442321"
Mi got brane fur sale it gud nevir yused much or nufink. One cairfol oner how dun newt wiht it.

£50 or cheepist ofur?!

Wil swup fur kidlee, hurt or hammond organ.

biyer colekts.
Wed 03/12/03 at 13:21
"Darkness, always"
Holy crap, it reminds me of the issue in Nationstates about "Cash for Colons". Net result is students selling their kidneys to cover tuition fees...
Wed 03/12/03 at 13:18
Regular
From The Guardian web-site:

A radical change in medical law to allow the NHS to buy organs from live donors in Britain and Europe will be debated in closed session today by the British Medical Association, the powerful organisation representing doctors throughout the UK.

John Harris, professor of bioethics at Manchester university, will argue for healthy donors to be given the right to sell a kidney, part of a liver or bone marrow for transplanting to a sick patient.

With the backing of some of Britain's leading transplant surgeons, he will say thousands of lives could be saved by establishing "an ethical market" in live organs. Under current law the only organs used are those donated free of charge, usually by a relative, or taken from a cadaver.

His opponent in today's debate will be Alastair Campbell, professor emeritus of ethics and medicine at Bristol university. He will say: "Our body is not a piece of property, in the sense that our house is. We inhabit our house and, if we own it, we can sell it. But we are our body, we are embodied selves. So it is right that the law regards the body as not a marketable commodity to be traded away at will."

- - - - -

Thoughts?

I would quite happily donate a kidney, if it would keep someone alive that I knew. A friend or family member etc.

However, if people could sell them, they may do it for the wrong reasons. But then does it matter what their reasons are, if it means saving a life?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.