GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ok Now im annoyed..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 02/12/03 at 18:53
Regular
""It's me u want""
I have networked my two pc's via an ethernet cable. They see eachother fine and can access eacthothers files folders etc. BUT i cant use Bt Broadband upstairs (the whole point of the networking!) i even tried to install the bt modem onto my pc upstairs and even that didnt work and thats a direct connection, then i spoke to someone who said oh, you need a special patch, its a bug, so i said fine. he installed the patch and it still doesnt work, the page just displays cannot find webpage.
I have enabled internet connection sharing but nothing happens!!
Please help!!
Thanks
Tue 02/12/03 at 19:03
Regular
no probs
Tue 02/12/03 at 19:03
Regular
Hapkido wrote:
> But what about the direct ethernet cable???
> So what your saying is, basically get a router and it should work?

yep - you may have linked your PC's, but this doesn't split the broadband connection, you need a router to do that for you.
Tue 02/12/03 at 19:02
Regular
""It's me u want""
ok, ta thanks mate. Glad thats outta my head, bl**dy thing, it was drivin me nuts, playing around with the settings all bl**dy day!
Tue 02/12/03 at 19:01
Regular
""It's me u want""
But what about the direct ethernet cable???
So what your saying is, basically get a router and it should work?
Tue 02/12/03 at 19:01
Regular
bottom line - get a router. they cost as little as 40 quid + and will get both your PC's on broadband.
Tue 02/12/03 at 19:00
Regular
You cannot simply plug your broadband connection into another PC. The connection is tailored to the MAC address of the network card in the PC it was installed on. you CAN register more than one MAC address if you wish, but still, you would only have the broadband connection on one of your PC's at a time. What you can do is buy a router, and plug your connection into that. You don't even need to register a new MAC address for the router, as most routers have user-definable MAC addresses.

Then you simply plug your two PC's into the router and hey presto - broadband all round.
Tue 02/12/03 at 18:58
Regular
""It's me u want""
No, a direct cross-over ethernet cable, around the bedroom under the floor through the ceiling and down the wall to the pc, only about 10 metres.
I dont understand because even when i connected the bt broadband modem to my pc directly it still didnt work!
Tue 02/12/03 at 18:56
"LOLLERSKATES!"
yes how ???
Tue 02/12/03 at 18:56
Regular
How are your two PC's linked? via a router?
Tue 02/12/03 at 18:53
Regular
""It's me u want""
I have networked my two pc's via an ethernet cable. They see eachother fine and can access eacthothers files folders etc. BUT i cant use Bt Broadband upstairs (the whole point of the networking!) i even tried to install the bt modem onto my pc upstairs and even that didnt work and thats a direct connection, then i spoke to someone who said oh, you need a special patch, its a bug, so i said fine. he installed the patch and it still doesnt work, the page just displays cannot find webpage.
I have enabled internet connection sharing but nothing happens!!
Please help!!
Thanks

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.