GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sony announces Playstation2.1, sorry if the games dont work PS2 owners!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 15/03/01 at 20:55
Regular
Sony announces Playstation2.1, sorry if the games dont work PS2 owners!

This article was taken from:

http://www.gameswire.com /story.asp?key=825

Sony, in conjunction with Toshiba are said to be changing the manufacturing process of the PlayStation 2`s Emotion Engine CPU yet again. Initially, the chip arrived at 0.25 microns, but Sony ordered a drop in size to 0.18 microns, which enabled Simplex Solutions, who developed the CPU, to increase the on-board video RAM fro 4MB to 32MB.
Aurangzeb Khan, a Simplex Solutions representative commented that Sony was content with the job they had done with the 0.18 micron version, however, although the change brought improvements, the second incarnation of the Graphics Synthesizer was twice the size of its predecessor. The second shift - to a 0.13 microns CPU should allow Sony and Simplex to reduce the GS in size.

What this will also do is allow the Emotion Engine`s clock speed to be increased - thus boosting the PS2`s performance. While this will go a long way to making the machine more favourably comparable to the Microsoft Xbox and Nintendo GameCube, we at present do not know how this will affect current 0.25 microns PlayStation 2 owners and the games which have been designed for more up to date versions of the machine.
Mon 19/03/01 at 19:29
Regular
This is not a reply.
Mon 19/03/01 at 10:00
"High polygon count"
No, but at the moment you don't know that PS2's will cost £300 either!
Sun 18/03/01 at 19:50
Regular
Armatige Shanks wrote:
> There are games that only work with the N64's expansion pack...

Yes but does the Expansion Pak cost an extra £300!!!
Sun 18/03/01 at 18:58
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Didnt I get flamed last time I presented that argument?
Sat 17/03/01 at 23:34
"High polygon count"
Today I got the latest issue (#7) of PSM2.

On page 13 there's an article about the HD/Broadband add-on for PS2, due worldwide later this year. In this article, SCEE's Senior Vice President is asked about the benefits of the unit.

One main feature is the 100Mb Ethernet connectivity, the other is a "double-digit gigabyte drive" - i.e. at least 10Gb.

However, more interesting - especially in light of the original subject of this thread - is Harrison's response when asked "what kind of features can we expect?"

In addition to the obvious advantages of being able to download and store large amounts of game data, Harrison says that the unit will also provide "technical benefits making things run faster, smoother, giving you more textures..."

Now this would seem to indicate (IMHO) that the technology advances mentioned by Jimmy will indeed be coming, but that they will be made available to everyone via the HD/Broadband unit.

It still remains to be seen how - or indeed, if - this will affect games, i.e. will certain games not function on a bog-standard PS2 unit. But I think the best thing is to wait and see, before we start getting all wound up about it!
Fri 16/03/01 at 21:04
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
There are games that only work with the N64's expansion pack...
Fri 16/03/01 at 19:30
It doesn't matter - rumours from rumours of rumours usually don't mount up to being anything other than rumours, so I don't believe there will be any games that work purely on the PS2.1 if indeed there is to be one, and I doubt there will be!

Has anyone got ESPN T&F? The swimming is very hard work, but I got the gold!
Fri 16/03/01 at 11:41
Regular
I heard something about Sega and Sony and some communications company teaming up to make arcade machines that would be linked via ethernet to allow players in different arcades to pla against each other.

This could have something to do with that maybe?
Fri 16/03/01 at 10:48
Regular
"Complete Banker"
I read something like this a while back.... but it was to do with either the dev kits or the system 256 (I think that's what its called) arcade thingy.......

I don't think that the story is entirely true. Although upping the video ram to 32mb would be better, it'd be too much hassle for Sony to replace all existing Ps2's or come up with an 'expansion pack'.
Thu 15/03/01 at 22:12
"High polygon count"
Very true.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.