GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I Hate Expansion Packs!!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 14/03/01 at 20:49
Regular
Think about it, what merits do they have? For a starting point, they are ridiculously overpriced. There was a time when expansion packs cost no more than £10-15 (which is expensive in itself), but these days the pricing seems to more like £25 for most games. And what does the expansion pack give you? A few more levels, and maybe a few new features. The new features are nearly always things that ought to have been available in the original anyway (e.g. multiplayer modes) and there are normally new levels available around the Internet for any game that does includes a level editor. Many of these are as good as any level or mission that might be contained in an expansion pack, or the original game. I am not denying that there are packs around which are excellent, but the pricing of these is crazy when you consider that you have already paid £20-30 for the game. Some games manufacturers seem to deliberately leave out things in the original so they can be put into an expansion; for example Bluebyte, when asked about a Settlers 4 level editor (the game hasn’t been released yet), stated that it would be included in an expansion pack! This is clearly exploitation of fans of the series; the company knows that they will buy the expansion pack.

I never buy an expansion pack for more than £10, and if it seems inevitable that there will be one, then I will usually wait for a “Gold” edition (or something similar which contains both the game and the expansion for a reasonable price). Otherwise, you are paying the cost of two games for one game with a few extra levels.

As far as I can see, in general (this isn’t meant to criticize any game in particular), expansion packs really are simply a way of making loads of money for a developer without actually doing any work to create anything new! I think that most people would agree that it would be better for the gaming industry if developers concentrated on creating new ideas for games, rather than the ever-growing numbers of expansion packs and sequels (which are sometimes little more than expansion packs) which seem to around at the moment.
Wed 14/03/01 at 20:49
Regular
Think about it, what merits do they have? For a starting point, they are ridiculously overpriced. There was a time when expansion packs cost no more than £10-15 (which is expensive in itself), but these days the pricing seems to more like £25 for most games. And what does the expansion pack give you? A few more levels, and maybe a few new features. The new features are nearly always things that ought to have been available in the original anyway (e.g. multiplayer modes) and there are normally new levels available around the Internet for any game that does includes a level editor. Many of these are as good as any level or mission that might be contained in an expansion pack, or the original game. I am not denying that there are packs around which are excellent, but the pricing of these is crazy when you consider that you have already paid £20-30 for the game. Some games manufacturers seem to deliberately leave out things in the original so they can be put into an expansion; for example Bluebyte, when asked about a Settlers 4 level editor (the game hasn’t been released yet), stated that it would be included in an expansion pack! This is clearly exploitation of fans of the series; the company knows that they will buy the expansion pack.

I never buy an expansion pack for more than £10, and if it seems inevitable that there will be one, then I will usually wait for a “Gold” edition (or something similar which contains both the game and the expansion for a reasonable price). Otherwise, you are paying the cost of two games for one game with a few extra levels.

As far as I can see, in general (this isn’t meant to criticize any game in particular), expansion packs really are simply a way of making loads of money for a developer without actually doing any work to create anything new! I think that most people would agree that it would be better for the gaming industry if developers concentrated on creating new ideas for games, rather than the ever-growing numbers of expansion packs and sequels (which are sometimes little more than expansion packs) which seem to around at the moment.
Mon 19/03/01 at 20:46
Regular
Somebody reple.....please?
Mon 19/03/01 at 20:47
Regular
Somebody reply.....please?
Mon 19/03/01 at 20:47
Regular
Whoops!
Mon 19/03/01 at 21:06
Regular
The best expansion packs of the past:

Mysteries of the sith. (For Jedi Knight...)

Balance of Power. (For X-Wing Vs Tie Fighter...)

Err...
Tue 20/03/01 at 10:44
Regular
Oh i thought you meant the N64 expansion pak........Championship Manager should be a expansion pak though but it's still cheap!
Tue 20/03/01 at 13:54
It's nice when developers give you freebies (ie. extra maps and modifiers for UT - though admittedly there's no shortage of those anyway). But expansion packs are generally a rip off as far as I can see. They don't tend to come in at less than £20. I don't expect software houses to do stuff for us out of the goodness of their hearts, but why not sell expansions two ways? First way, sell expansion pack in shops/on the Net with the original game (slightly higher price). Second way, send email/mail to those people who registered the original game, offering the expansion for a tenner say (maybe even just in a jewel case)?
Tue 20/03/01 at 13:57
I'm with Grix, why don't they make anymore Jedi Knight games? They were going to make Obi-Wan but they canned it and it wasn't going to be the same style as Jedi Knight, more like that new Episode 1 game.
Tue 20/03/01 at 16:25
Regular
The most obvious rip-off i can think off is Quake 3 Team Arena! It's costing nearly as much as the original game and all its adding is one more mode of play, look at UT it was released with 4 or 5 modes of play start off with!

By the way, dont buy Q3TA, i downloaded the demo and its rubbish!
Tue 20/03/01 at 16:37
Regular
Obi-Wan *is* going to be released on a console instead Groni...

Which one, is still unknown.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.