GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Goodbye Sega"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 14/03/01 at 20:41
Regular
As early as the first Nintendo home console the NES, Sega has been around to give the Japanese giants a good run for their money.

They wouldn't go away either when the SNES out came the Megadrive did. Sega would always be there to give Ninty a hard time in fact the Gamegear is the only system to say "we were the biggest ever rival to the Gameboy".

Nintendo had always been a family console so was known as the friendly system while a Sega was a big boys toy and had the violent and more adult game.

Sadly Sega's next system the Saturn landed flat on its face and Nintendo thought they might have a breather from the constant rivalry between the two but Sony ruined Nintendo's dreams of a possible easy ride.

But Sega returned never down and causing a boom in the arcade section of gaming the Dreamcast appeared the greatest ever Sega console and arguably the best out at the moment this system has a wealth of top class games and is still selling tonnes today. But they still suffered bad sales and Sega died.

Still making games Sega still exists as one of the most sourght after 3rd party developers but without their consoles on the market the world will feel somehow empty.

Goodbye Sega and good luck
Wed 14/03/01 at 20:56
Its sad that Sega have decided to stop production of the Dreamcast, particularly as it is such a great machine. It also sold more untits in the UK over Christmas than any other console. However Sega ultimately were beaten by Sonys marketing muscle and cash, Sega couldnt afford to spend lots on Advertising the Dreamcast, which is ultimately what they needed to do. The best Sega have done with regard to advertising was sponsor Arsenal. Poor show really.

However Sega are still alive and well, and will continue to produce great games not only for the Dreamcast, but the PS1, PS2, GameBoyAdvance, Gamecube and X-box. This is surely good news for all gamers, I wish Sega well in its new direction!
Wed 14/03/01 at 20:55
Regular
"You've upset me"
Sega may have bailed out of the console market but as you said, they are still going to be making games for the next generation consoles.

In a way I think that Sega making games for other people rather than concentrating on just their console is going to be great. They've already shown that they can produce top notch games (Phantasy Star Online anyone?) How can this be bad?!

I agree that without them the console market may seem a bit empty but on the plus side, the games market is about to pick up! Sega have already confirmed that they are working on at least three GameCube titles. and with the skill and technical expertise that Sega obviously have we can expect games of the highest calibre.

That said though Sega may be digging their own grave. It's not guarenteed that they will be able to produce great games fast which is what is going to be needed when they're up agains't the rather fine PS2.

To sum up, the console market has now been reduced to just 3. the GameCube from the mighty Nintendo. The PlayStation 2 from the expert game shifters Sony, and the debutents to the console market, Microsoft. If Sega started to churn out games for all three of these companys then the games market is about to reach the pinnacle. Although for some reason I feel that this just might be the top of the iceberg. What lies beneath? We'll have to wait and see...
Wed 14/03/01 at 20:41
Regular
As early as the first Nintendo home console the NES, Sega has been around to give the Japanese giants a good run for their money.

They wouldn't go away either when the SNES out came the Megadrive did. Sega would always be there to give Ninty a hard time in fact the Gamegear is the only system to say "we were the biggest ever rival to the Gameboy".

Nintendo had always been a family console so was known as the friendly system while a Sega was a big boys toy and had the violent and more adult game.

Sadly Sega's next system the Saturn landed flat on its face and Nintendo thought they might have a breather from the constant rivalry between the two but Sony ruined Nintendo's dreams of a possible easy ride.

But Sega returned never down and causing a boom in the arcade section of gaming the Dreamcast appeared the greatest ever Sega console and arguably the best out at the moment this system has a wealth of top class games and is still selling tonnes today. But they still suffered bad sales and Sega died.

Still making games Sega still exists as one of the most sourght after 3rd party developers but without their consoles on the market the world will feel somehow empty.

Goodbye Sega and good luck

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.