GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Red Lines"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 26/11/03 at 21:07
Regular
"Spurs 1 - 0 Man Utd"
She lay there, crumpled in the corner. She willed the walls to hide her, protect her. Anything. The sobs jerked her battered body, echoing off the cold stone walls. She squeezed her eyes shut as hard as she could. She wanted the nothingness to consume her. She waited, like a cat in a bag, waiting to drown, for the next crippling blow to land. Her fists were clenched, her fingernails embedded deep into the palms of her hands. She squeezed harder and the blood oozed slowly. Again and again she heard it. The far off thuds of the club pummelling her into the floor. The pain made her wretch.
Why? Why me? What could I have done to deserve this? Please someone help me. Anyone. Please.
She flinched as the golf club hit the ground. The footsteps died away. She didn’t dare open her eyes. She lay, crippled, in the darkness, her body shaking uncontrollably. She straightened her leg, biting her lip to prevent her from screaming, and brought the other leg up to her chest. A small whimper escaped her lips and she bit harder. The sharp metallic tang of blood warmed her tongue. Wincing she slid her top up over her ribs.
Worst yet.
The flesh was a vivid yellowy purple colour. It looked like the skin of a corpse, not a thirteen-year-old girl. Her whole body was throbbing. She could still feel the distant drumming of the beat on her body. Her consciousness ebbed slowly away, leaving only numbness.
Let me be dead.
The darkness consumed her. She lay there, a hollow, crumpled half-shadow. Her bones poked through the bruised yellow skin, her body twisted and contorted. She could easily have been dead. You couldn’t hear her breathing; there was only the soft sound of her heart beating through the darkness.

They were only a pale ghostly yellow now. A faded stain on her smooth skin, nothing more. Her ribs had healed long ago, and soon so would the bruises. Nothing hurt anymore. She could feel no pain. She drew the tip of the blade across the skin. This was nothing. She sliced another. Still nothing. This time she gauged deep into the flesh. She didn’t even wince. The blood trickled from the cuts, smearing over her leg as she cut deeper and deeper.
Hate me she read. The vivid red lines she carved in the skin were turning darker. She watched as the blood hardened slowly. She had promised herself she wouldn’t cry. After that night, nothing had hurt her, and she was determined nothing ever would. But she couldn’t stop. The tears stained red lines down her face as she sobbed into her hands. Her eyes stung. She’d never cried like this in her life. The pain was unbearable. Not physical pain, that she could handle but the pain she felt now wasn’t that. She’d never felt anything like it before. She cried out in anguish.
Make it stop. Make it stop!
Before this, her heart was a black hole. Now she didn’t have a heart. She wasn’t sure which one was better, but she knew anything was better than this. Somehow, the pain she was feeling she couldn’t control. She wanted to scream. She wanted it to end. She begged the darkness,
Please! Anyone!
The desire to feel no pain, to know no pain overwhelmed her. In one swift movement, it was done. Instantly, all her despair, all her desperation, her anguish slowly ebbed away into a crimson puddle on the floor. She still felt nothing. She wished she could. Maybe the pain would drown it out. She slashed at her wrist again, willing the pain to run through her body, anything to stop this feeling. Again and again she did it. She felt so helpless, so alone. There was no one to save her. No one who cared. She had lost everything. This time she meant it. She wanted to die.
She screamed in frustration.
Why aren’t I dying? Why doesn’t it hurt? Why cant I make it stop?! Someone! Anyone! PLEASE!
She was swallowed up by the sound of her screaming. Oh how she longed for the deep sweet dreaming. She filled the darkness with desperate screams.
Why?
Gradually her screams died down into gasping sobs, and she moved less frequently. The puddle grew and grew, seeping through her hair and into her clothes, staining the carpets, the floor. Soon only the sound of her heart remained. But it kept beating.

I still can’t cease the fear of silent nights. I wish I had died that night. A release from everything. All I wanted was to get away. Feel no pain, know no pain.
Some nights I wake up screaming. The scars still bleeding in my mind. My hair still congealed with half-dried blood, my clothes still stained red.
It’s a nightmare and I can’t wake up.

She lay there, crumpled in the corner. She willed the walls to hide her, protect her. Anything. The sobs jerked her battered body, echoing off the cold stone walls. She squeezed her eyes shut as hard as she could. She wanted the nothingness to consume her. She waited, like a cat in a bag, waiting to drown, for the next crippling blow to land. Her fists were clenched, her fingernails embedded deep into the palms of her hands. She squeezed harder and the blood oozed slowly. Again and again she heard it. The far off thuds of the club pummelling her into the floor. The pain made her wretch.
Why? Why me? What could I have done to deserve this? Please someone help me. Anyone. Please.
She flinched as the golf club hit the ground. The footsteps died away. She didn’t dare open her eyes. She lay, crippled, in the darkness, her body shaking uncontrollably. She straightened her leg, biting her lip to prevent her from screaming, and brought the other leg up to her chest. A small whimper escaped her lips and she bit harder. The sharp metallic tang of blood warmed her tongue. Wincing she slid her top up over her ribs.
Worst yet.
The flesh was a vivid yellowy purple colour. It looked like the skin of a corpse, not a thirteen-year-old girl. Her whole body was throbbing. She could still feel the distant drumming of the beat on her body. Her consciousness ebbed slowly away, leaving only numbness.
Let me be dead.
The darkness consumed her. She lay there, a hollow, crumpled half-shadow. Her bones poked through the bruised yellow skin, her body twisted and contorted. She could easily have been dead. You couldn’t hear her breathing; there was only the soft sound of her heart beating through the darkness.

They were only a pale ghostly yellow now. A faded stain on her smooth skin, nothing more. Her ribs had healed long ago, and soon so would the bruises. Nothing hurt anymore. She could feel no pain. She drew the tip of the blade across the skin. This was nothing. She sliced another. Still nothing. This time she gauged deep into the flesh. She didn’t even wince. The blood trickled from the cuts, smearing over her leg as she cut deeper and deeper.
Hate me she read. The vivid red lines she carved in the skin were turning darker. She watched as the blood hardened slowly. She had promised herself she wouldn’t cry. After that night, nothing had hurt her, and she was determined nothing ever would. But she couldn’t stop. The tears stained red lines down her face as she sobbed into her hands. Her eyes stung. She’d never cried like this in her life. The pain was unbearable. Not physical pain, that she could handle but the pain she felt now wasn’t that. She’d never felt anything like it before. She cried out in anguish.
Before this, her heart was a black hole. Now she didn’t have a heart. She wasn’t sure which one was better, but she knew anything was better than this. Somehow, the pain she was feeling she couldn’t control. She wanted to scream. She wanted it to end. She begged the darkness,
Please! Anyone!
The desire to feel no pain, to know no pain overwhelmed her. In one swift movement, it was done. Instantly, all her despair, all her desperation, her anguish slowly ebbed away into a crimson puddle on the floor. She still felt nothing. She wished she could. Maybe the pain would drown it out. She slashed at her wrist again, willing the pain to run through her body, anything to stop this feeling. Again and again she did it. She felt so helpless, so alone. There was no one to save her. No one who cared. She had lost everything. This time she meant it. She wanted to die.
Why aren’t I dying? Why doesn’t it hurt? Why cant I make it stop?! Someone! Anyone! PLEASE!
She was swallowed up by the sound of her screaming. Oh how she longed for the deep sweet dreaming. She filled the darkness with desperate screams.
Why?
Gradually her screams died down into gasping sobs, and she moved less frequently. The puddle grew and grew, seeping through her hair and into her clothes, staining the carpets, the floor. Soon only the sound of her heart remained. But it kept beating.

I still can’t cease the fear of silent nights. I wish I had died that night. A release from everything. All I wanted was to get away. Feel no pain, know no pain.
Some nights I wake up screaming. The scars still bleeding in my mind. My hair still congealed with half-dried blood, my clothes still stained red.
Wed 26/11/03 at 21:07
Regular
"Spurs 1 - 0 Man Utd"
Worst yet.
Let me be dead.

Please! Anyone!
Why?

Worst yet.
Let me be dead.

Please! Anyone!
Why?

Wed 26/11/03 at 21:57
Regular
"Spurs 1 - 0 Man Utd"
pop
Wed 26/11/03 at 22:16
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
I guess the double story was intended to convey the relentless nightmare recurring over and over again?

Pretty good, I thought. Although the "cat in a bag, waiting to drown" is a blatant rip-off of the lyrics in The Verve's "The Drugs Don't Work"...

Still, it was good. Keep it up!
Wed 26/11/03 at 22:26
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Blood? Check
Guts? Check
Pain? Check

I'm trying to be positive in some way rather than just launch into a diatribe about another story with violence towards women, lurid descriptions of physical injuries etc.
At least the grammar etc was good and didn't degenerate into a morass of "STABSTABSTABSTAB" type writing.

You obviously put a lot of work into it, and well done for that but, I'm just speaking personally, if I never read another story of abuse/murder/torture then I'll be happy.

Nice work, but try something that doesnt go for the easy option of trying to evoke sympathy/pity with the reader.
Wed 26/11/03 at 22:27
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
You sound like a teacher already.
Wed 26/11/03 at 22:35
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Hurrah.

Some of the writing leans towards phrases that I've read over and over again in horror stories.
Yellowing bruises, metallica tang of blood.

If you want to make it your own, put your own stamp onto it then just take a few extra moments to try and think of non-obvious descriptive narrative.
Yellowing Bruises? "she lifted her top and looked down. Instead of her once-pristine skin lay the rotten-fruit texture of where she had been used"
Metallic tang? "she swallow reflexively and gagged automatically, it was as if somebody had rammed pennies into her mouth and forced her to swallow"

That sort of thing.
Of course, I'm just another forum poster so what do I know?
Wed 26/11/03 at 22:48
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
I prefer metallic tang. "Tang" is a bit naff, but in two words it retains that punchiness that I feel is lost in your version. But your are writing at half ten, so only to be expected.
Wed 26/11/03 at 22:57
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
*shrugs*

I ain't going to justify my suggestions. I forgot I was in such literary company.

G'night you craaaazy kids
Wed 26/11/03 at 23:03
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Wasn't trying to be literary company, don't pay-tronise me.
Thu 27/11/03 at 19:15
Regular
"Spurs 1 - 0 Man Utd"
Yeah sorry I did not realise I had posted the same one twice. Thanks for all the comments. If i have time I'll post another one in the nor so far off future.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.